News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 Lasalle trans or something else

Started by rg171352, April 07, 2023, 09:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rg171352

Looking at some parts, I came across what I thought was a 37 lasalle trans but the tailshaft looks wrong.  Any ideas what this is?

Thanks!FB0B5072-5105-4F18-838E-8D8D83921DD2.jpeg

harry s

Looks like '37 to me. Some of the tail shaft housings had a stabilizer connection but this one doesn't.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

rg171352

Harvey, thank you for your reply. What sort of stabilizer connection?  I don't have a length on it, but it looks like a longer tailshaft than the other I have seen.  I am posting a photo exemplifying the cases I have seen.

Classic

I agree with Harry.  The tailshaft length varied with engine (V8 or V12) and wheelbase and maybe even rear axle.  The stabilizer was only on certain (senior?) models and appears to dampen fore and aft engine/trans. movement. Not sure why it was needed.

Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

harry s

My understanding is the short tail shaft was LaSalle and 60 Series Cad along with the V-12 and the longer tail shaft was Series 65,70 & 75. I don't know what the application was for the stabilizer but have seen it on Series 65 & 75. It might have been a mid production change. Does the transmission in your first post have the flat area on the bottom for the rear motor mount?  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Joe G 12138

I believe that's a '37 Case and tailshaft housing for 50 series (LaS) and 60 series Cad. On the top of the front flange, near the hole for the shifter they often have a "50" or "60" cast in indicating what series it was originally installed in.
     As far as the appendages on some '37 tailshaft housings, it's my understanding that they were for the V-12's. I don't have a shop manual handy, but They might have been attachment points for exhaust piping something.
    Joe Gibeault

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The first picture looks like a 37 trans with a 41 and newer style tail shaft. Starting in 41 with the introduction of the Hydramatic a slip joint for the drive shaft was put into the transmission.  I think there is enough interchangeability of parts to do this.  Probably this was put together for a hot rod project.  38 to 40 75/90 cars had a north/south stabilizer which connects to a tab cast into the tail shaft housing. Maybe previous years also but no experience with them.  I thought there was a picture of it in the parts book but haven't found it yet.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

rg171352

Thank you all for your insight and help.  After more research it looks like Brad is correct on the tailshaft as it matches the tailshaft on the trans attached to my 41 Series 60 Engine.

I ended up buying the transmission but only have more questions.  This was in the collection of a hotrodder who also loved 37 Cadillacs and LaSalles.  It came with a standard 37 clutch disc which fits my stock 37 trans well.  However, it doesn't fit onto the input shaft of this assembled trans posted above.  While the splines seem to line up, it will not slide down the shaft.  I will try to post a photo later.  Did later Cadillacs use different input shafts than the 37 units? 

Any and all help is appreciated.