News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

62 390 Engine Removal Guide

Started by midwestisbest, July 27, 2023, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestisbest

The rings on my '62 390 are not good. Compression numbers are terrible. I've already validated with a leak down test that all or most of the air is going through the rings to the crankcase.

And adding some oil to each cylinder brings up with compression numbers enough to get it to fire off but not idle (different battle).

So its looking like I'm going to have to remove the engine.The front clip is already completely off. No fenders. Nothing.

I've already had plenty of practice removing all the accessories, since I put them on. The heads have already had a valve job.

Question is: What's the general process for removing the engine from the transmission? I have a manual but can't seem to locate the right section. I think there are 6 or 8 bolts on the bellhousing.

So, if you have a general guide for engine removal, I'd appreciate it. I have a cherry picker.

Clewisiii

Bolts on the bell housing but you need to remove the flex plate first. Remove the starter and the access cover on the trans. There are 4 nuts holding the flex plate to trans.  You will need to rotate the engine to remove them all before you can separate the engine from trans. 

Trans coolant line clamps may need to be removed. Engine vent tube may need to be removed it might not clear the top of trans with body on.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

midwestisbest

Quote from: Clewisiii on July 27, 2023, 10:38:01 PMBolts on the bell housing but you need to remove the flex plate first. Remove the starter and the access cover on the trans. There are 4 nuts holding the flex plate to trans.  You will need to rotate the engine to remove them all before you can separate the engine from trans. 

Trans coolant line clamps may need to be removed. Engine vent tube may need to be removed it might not clear the top of trans with body on.

Thanks! This is what I needed!

Clewisiii

Don't loose this spacer washer on the back of your crank shafter between trans.

IMG_20230621_145400226.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering