News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood reliability

Started by JacobSeed2018, November 29, 2023, 06:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacobSeed2018

Hi everybody, I'm new here. Don't currently own a Cadillac but have interest in getting one in the future.

One of my dream cars is a 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special. I was curious about the reliability of them. Assuming maintenance is kept up, and the car is in decent shape, would one be a decent daily driver? I know the 390 was around since the 40's, so by 59 the problems should've been mostly ironed out, but are there any major issues to be concerned about?

I live in Florida, so snow is not an issue.

Obviously a 60+ year old car won't be as reliable as a modern car, but what exactly am I in for when I finally pull the trigger on getting one. I have a backup vehicle (2014 Silverado) in case of break downs, and I am decently mechanically inclined.

Any advice is welcome (aside from recommending I buy a Toyota, I don't like them).

Thanks!

Carfreak

Welcome to the Forum. 

Buy a 59 for a Daily Driver?  Do it.  You only live once and why not? 

For several decades I drove 'vintage' as my Daily Driver in good weather (no snow).  It was a blast! Fortunately during those years I worked at locations with secure or large parking lots which prevented my cars from getting door dings, etc.  I got out of the habit of driving vintage when my employment transitioned to office buildings with busy / tight parking lots.   

If you choose to follow through your Dream, be sure to bring a basic tool kit including a set of points or update to Pertronix. I don't recall really ever having major breakdowns but since our cars were driven regularly and well maintained plus being a bit intuitive if a problem might be developing probably helped too.  Having a backup or alternate vehicle is also helpful. Since I worked in a and for a small town some of those years, 'all the cops knew me'.  Not necessarily for my driving but for my cars - which they usually wanted to own. 

Be ready to answer a lot of questions about your car and recommend you add a hidden kill switch and GPS Locator.  Although Hagerty, one of the more popular vintage vehicle insurance companies encourages driving your vehicles they still may not condone using them as daily drivers for work commuting, grocery getter, etc.   
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Michael Petti

If that's your dream, do it. 59's are very reliable properly maintained. I second everything said above. Keep in mind that it is a 64-year-old piece of machinery. You will repair and rebuild things. A car salesman once told me that new cars come off the assembly line more or less the same, but every used car is an individual. Past use and maintenance or lack of, will affect the quality of the vehicle. What you plan to use it for can make a difference too. Dailey driving is much harder on the car than being a show car or weekend cruiser that get much less use. Good luck in shopping for your car.

Cadillac Jack 82

59s are very easy to work on and appear more complex cosmetically than they are mechanically.  They ride incredibly well and have plenty of power to keep up with modern traffic.  You won't be disappointed.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Lexi

Can't really add to the responses as they were all dead on. Go for it, bearing in mind that it is an old car. Yes, lots of power there as Cadillac Jack 82 said. Many old cars can't keep up with modern traffic but this one will. Probably another reason to explain why many old Cads are desired. Clay/Lexi

David King (kz78hy)

Be prepared for much shorter maintenance intervals than modern cars.  Plugs don't last 100k, oil & filter change is more frequent and actual greasing required.  For fun, look at your service manual (if you don't have one yet, make it a priority and get a real one, not a reprint) and read the recommended items and frequency that need to be serviced.  It is eye opening what was expected back in the day.

A lot of oils and materials are better today, so you can judge for yourself when you really need to do, but it will be more involved and quicker than you are used to.

Still no reason not to buy the car and drive it daily.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Carfreak

Quote from: Lexi on November 29, 2023, 10:59:03 AMMany old cars can't keep up with modern traffic but this one will. Probably another reason to explain why many old Cads are desired. Clay/Lexi

Our 1942 Series 67 can easily keep up with highway traffic. We have but don't generally drive him on highways due to the factory  1940s technology brakes & tendency of other drivers with ABS to drive badly.

Jacob - You might consider to update from single to double reservoir master cylinder which can be considered a safety modification.  If you search this of the Modified Chapter Discussion Forums chances are you'll find info on how to update to a double reservoir.  Or pay a Cadillac parts vendor $$$ for a pre-packaged kit; I think some are offering. 

Lexi

Yep, old Caddies rule on the road. As much as I am a purist, if I were intending to use such a car as a daily driver even I would probably consider up-grading the brakes including installing a dual master cylinder. As Sue noted ancient technology and poor modern driving habits often leave us little breaking room, make for many dangerous situations. Seat belts might be another consideration. Clay/Lexi

James Landi

I commuted 90 miles a day in 56 sdv for ten years.  Road salt kills, (rusted chassis, broken welds,etc) partially clogged radiators burn valves... up date brakes and flex hoses in ALL locations... don't PUSH it... a well running engine can badly damage an old drive train, i.e. tranny, universal joints, motor mounts... so don't push your luck with the accelerator to the floor. So much good advice already mentioned above... follow the advice... enjoy the ride, but drive with care.  Please keep us in the loop.  James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

What would concern me more than the extra mechanical upkeep is the inevitable cosmetic damage that is likely to occur with everyday use. Prang a door or a rare piece of exterior trim, obtaining replacement parts won't be cheap, easy or fun. Not to mention the difficulties of finding a local shop willing to futz with a prized older gem when they have seven insurance jobs in the queue that they can bang out the door in no time. For these reasons and others, I really wouldn't recommend a '59 Cadillac for daily driving. One man's opinion. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bctexas

You don't mention if this includes rush hour traffic commuting duty.  I had a 21 mile one way commute through rush hour traffic, about half on divided highway near DFW airport.  I considered a vintage car for commuting, but the concept of dodging the dolts in their giant pickup trucks doing their nails, eating an egg mcmuffin, drinking coffee and sending a text message (all at once) while "driving" 70mph on the highway pretty much discouraged that.  I lived here for two years before I found out pickup trucks even had turn signals.  A modern car with air bags, crumple zones, good brakes and shoulder belts won me over.  Not to mention that said modern car was, in the final analysis, disposable.  Another could be easily procured, unlike a '59 Fleetwood. 

Insurance is another issue you need to research.  Collector car insurance is cheap, and most of those companies go the extra mile to take care of customers.  But they do not cover daily drivers.  So you are going to have to go with a standard insurance company.  To them, likely you are driving an old beater with a salvage value equal to scrap metal.  So be sure you have your eyes wide open before taking to the road.

HTH!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Cadillac Jack 82

Another thing to mention if it matters is fuel costs.  I think my 59 gets maybe 10?  She loves to drink fuel like a frat boy on pledge week.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

dinhnguyen57

I agree with Eric.  High fuel cost, parts/maintenance, etc.  I would get it to the level where you could drive it everyday but actually drive it on good days, weekends etc.  I have a '59 Seville and it took me a long time to find someone who could rebuild my transmission.  Driving down steep slopes and trying to stop repeatedly was problematic for me in the hills of San Francisco. Standard brake set up might not be adequate.  There's a lot of windows in that car and on sunny days, the interior heats up a lot.  AC helps for front passengers, but for rear passengers, it's not enough.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Carfreak

Quote from: Cadillac Jack 82 on November 30, 2023, 12:52:36 PMAnother thing to mention if it matters is fuel costs.  I think my 59 gets maybe 10?  She loves to drink fuel like a frat boy on pledge week.

Actually a well tuned 59 can get in the mid-teens for highway mileage. 

I drove a 59 CDV as a daily (nice weather) for about a year. 

Discontinued that car when we picked up a 70 Electra 225 convertible with 455 & working factory AC.

David Greenburg

I think it really depends on your driving habits and traffic situation. I've had '59 and '60 Cadillacs for nearly 40 years, including a '59 Fleetwood for 28 years.  While I haven't used them as DD's, I do drive them around for errands and local travel on a regular basis. If you're in a fairly rural situation with uncrowded roads and lots of wide open parking, you'll probably do okay. But due to their size and primitive (by modern standards) brakes and steering, they are a handful in urban stop and go traffic, and a nightmare in most parking garages.  Also, while snow is not an issue for you, rain is, and those puny wiper blades leave a lot to be desired on that big windshield.  If you do it, I would certainly add a dual master cylinder, regardless of whether you add disc brakes. Not much fun when your single circuit brakes develop a leak (don't ask how I know this).
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Bryan J Moran

Absolutely NOT!  The "Go For it" responses - what do YOU drive daily?  It's insane to think of driving a 59 Cadillac as a daily.  I see so many close calls with modern cars, which many are 10-14 feet total length.  With back up cameras and alarms! 

The 59 Cadillac will get in an accident in a matter of days or months, period.  Your sight lines were made for 1959 parking lots and streets, not circa 2024. 

My daily is a 2022 Chevy Colorado with back up camera, alarms when close, mirrors, modern brakes, lights, mirrors with blind spot capability. 

I bought a 2008 Mazda Miata this summer.  Even with the top down I am a bit scared to move left or right on the freeway, back up in a grocery store parking lot, you name it. 

And yes, I have driven old cars as dailies. 1972 Buick, 1963 Pontiac. 1966 Ford F250. NO WAY. 
CLC 35000 in number only

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I put over 100k on my 66 (not much difference mechanics) as my daily in commute traffic with no mishaps. Made me a better driver
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Lexi

I personally would not do it for the reasons many provided here, but if he does he must do so with eyes wide open so to speak; fuel cost, insurance coverage, brakes, wear and tear on a vintage vehicle, etc. I said earlier for him to go ahead but on thinking it over I would have to say no as I failed to consider some of the points other posters have made. They made a lot sense. In retrospect, the "risk-reward" concept must come into play and it seems to me that the risks far out weigh the reward aspects, perhaps even in a rural setting. While I understand the desire to drive our vehicles, perhaps a lot; even that can take some of the fun out of owning a classic car as the novlety of such can be diminished by over exposure. Another factor perhaps to consider. But I stand corrected with respect to one comment in my earlier post. Good job here by the Members to put things into perspective. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

And it was you Eric who got the ball rolling in that direction. Like I said, good comments by all. Well done. We should be doing what is best for the cars. Clay/Lexi

dn010

I once saw someone trying to remove the quarter trim on my car before noticing me walking towards it and he hurried off. Just another thing to watch out for when driving daily and parking in many different lots - you never know what may be missing when you get back to your car.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean