News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is there a better way to do this PS Pulley

Started by 60eldo, December 02, 2023, 06:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

There must be another way as you can see I bent the pulley trying to get it off.  1959-60 . It wont budge. Ideas?
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes.   Use the correct tool, or if you don't have one, make one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60eldo

Thanks, that tool doesnt work with this pulley. Theres nothing on the front of the pulley to secure those C washers to, I saw this on utube.
Jon. Kluczynski

Paul Wier

GOT TO LAUGH. I DID THE SAME THING TO A 1966 OLDSMOBILE POWER STEERING PUMP. TOLD A FRIEND AND HE HAD A HOMEMADE PULLER PLATE. BASICALLY TWO C-SECTIONS OF METAL THAT GO BETWEEN PUMP AND PULLEY. THEN THE SCREW TOGETHER. HE GOT MY BENT PULLEY OFF WITH NO TROUBLE. I LEARNED A LESSON THAT DAY. I'M JUST TO DAM IMPATIENT.
RIP 1953 Caddy 331
RIP 1962 CADILLAC 390
RIP 1964 CADDY 429
RIP 1967 Caddy CONVERTIBLE
RIP 1969 CADILAC 472
RIP 1971 CADILLAC 472
RIP 1972 CADDY 472
RIP 1974 CADDY 500
RIP 1975 CADILAC DEVILLE 500
RIP 1975 CADILLAC ELDORADO 500
RIP 1976 CADDY 500
RIP 1976 CADDY
SUCCESSFUL TRANSACTIONS WITH: 35-709, Snibbor

TJ Hopland

I know you said homemade but kinda like one of these?  Usually called a bearing separator?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Guys, as you can see here , theres nothing for those 2 C s to grab on to. So they wont work. Just a smooth lip.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

Oh dear, that is a nuisance.

Looking at the Shop Manual, I see that there is a key holding the pully hub to the pump shaft to stop the pulley from turning on the shaft.

This indicates to me that the pulley should be a simple slip-on, and then retained by the nut, as against the later ones that have a tapered shaft, and the pulley being a pressure-fit.   Which is what my puller is for.

I would be inclined to use some form of penetrant to lubricate the pulley hub, and if necessary, tap the side of the hub with a brass drift to "shock" the area into submission.

Looking closely at your picture, someone has been pretty brutal on the hub with multigrips or stilsons to hold it tight.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Paul Wier on December 02, 2023, 09:06:03 PMA HOMEMADE PULLER PLATE. BASICALLY TWO C-SECTIONS OF METAL THAT GO BETWEEN PUMP AND PULLEY. THEN THE SCREW TOGETHER. HE GOT MY BENT PULLEY OFF WITH NO TROUBLE

The go between is the key in how he got it off.  Would that work before its bent and get it off without damage?  Dunno.  But this one is bent now so its not likely going to work right again.

My only other idea that may or may not be possible would be to drill some holes near the hub so you could grab the hub with the 3 jaw puller. 

I wonder what makes em stick like that?  Dissimilar metals and time? 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 02, 2023, 11:14:19 PMI wonder what makes em stick like that?  Dissimilar metals and time?   
Rust?   Been together for too long?

I removed one from a pump that had the groove, plus also the keyway, and as soon as I touched the screw, it fell off.

I had another one that had the press fit, and I thought I was going to break my adaptor, it was that tight.   Plus, it was hard all the way.

Don't forget that if it had been off before, years ago, someone might have decided to use Loctite to make sure.

But, for now, it might be best to simply cut the damaged one off, and use the normal puller on the hub, and see how it comes off.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

signart

Can you remove the bracket without removing the pulley?
You might make a 1/4" steel plate, cut a slot, and slip behind the pulley.

Steel Plate.jpg
Art D. Woody

60eldo

After reading all of this here, I had a thought. Since the pulley is garbage now. What if I were to drill 2 holes in the pulley same distance apart as a steering wheel pulley. Slide 2 washers and 2 nuts then pull it off as u wood a steering wheel. The bolts wood be about 2 in apart,right at the meat of the pulley.
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

Yep getting the puller pulling as close to the hub as possible will help get the 'power' to the right place.   

Cutting a slot into the hub may help too if you have the tools to do that it should take the pressure off.  If you can see where the key is can cut there that would be the thinnest part and if you go through should just hit the key rather than damage the shaft.

60eldo

I did it. I got it off. What I did was, I left the jaws of life on, with pressure, got my torch and applyed heat to the center top hub, and BANG,,, I heard it come off with couple taps, great. So this was a spare I had and the pulley was already worpped , and thats why I wanted to remove it, cause I have another spare pump with a good pulley but leaks. So now Ive learned here a bit. But now, how to get the other pulley off without damaging it. Maybe the 2 drilled hole theory, but this time with each turn. Apply a lil heat.
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

What does the back of the pulley look like?

60eldo

Why , what ru thinking
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

After seeing that I'm thinking if anyone asks me to help them with one of those thats the day I have that thing I really have to do so I won't be able to help. 

I was hoping you could get some holes close enough to the hub to grab the hub but with that tapper that isn't gonna work.  The real problem is you need some way to evenly apply the force.  I would be afraid 2 or 3 holes even fairly close to the center may still distort the pulley.   

Jason Edge

The 63's and 64's I have dealt with have the same issue. Nothing to grab on at the hub/center and if you use a tool, even the one recommended in the shop manual it bends the pulley. Way back I tried a regular pully and it bent a pulley. I think paid the big bucks on eBay and bought the J-8433 tool which is a big stout heavy tool, but that just meant it more easily bent the pulley.

As a parts seller, I now only sell the complete power steering pump with pulley. I have people all the time ask for just a pump or just a pulley and I tell them "It Ain't Gonna Happen".  My best guess is this was a design flaw. Yes they pressed on OK back in the day but 60+ years later they are wedged on just too tight to just pull off from the outer rim of the pulley with out bending.

Here is the illustration with part number listed below from the 1963 Cadillac Shop Manual:

Power Steering Pump Removing with J-8433 tool - 1963 Shop Manual.jpg

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

signart

Using a simple 1/4" plate as described in my earlier post would prevent damage to the pulley. The backer plate could evenly apply pressure and accommodate a conventional 3 jaw puller or a broad steering wheel type puller with holes drilled into the backer plate instead of the pulley. A puller such as the J-8433 (as mentioned above) could be used here as well. The latter two methods could easily be made in a home garage with simple tools.
Of course, the careful application of heat would make quick work of the task, but the target is saving the pulley without any damage.
Below is my Snap-On puller that I would use on the backer plate. Might require removing the pulley mounting bracket for clearance.

Snap-On puller.jpg
Art D. Woody

60eldo

Ha Ha,,I did it,,Now Opening,,,, Johnnys PS Pump Puller Offer. Look for a location near you. LOL, No pump too big or too small,,,LOL, have a look at the pics, I drilled 2 holes in the pulley and used a steering wheel puller, a little heat and presto.This is gonna be even more funny. Now I get to put this pulley on the 1st pump and install it in my car to see if it woks. Any bets?
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland