News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1977 Eldorado Hub Cap Inserts

Started by Dave MacGregor #18998, January 19, 2005, 01:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave MacGregor #18998

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to carefully remove the colored insert on the 77 Eldo hubcaps for reuse on another much nicer condition hub cap.

I have a really scuffed up hub cap with perfect insert and a near perfect hub cap that has a stained and discolored insert.  Would like to switch them around.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks!

Dave

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Dave,  I lost one of my 77s and found the best way to find another was to find ANY good 77 hub cap with a color disk, then remove the disk and have the correct color painted on the area.  It worked very well.  

The original disks were pealed off so I would suggest a sharp putty knife or scrapper used very carefully to get under the edge of the disk and worked around to remove it.  Maybe a solvent will help to remove it.

George Woodford clc21025

Dave,
You can buy new inserts from USA Part Supply.  I recall they cost about $15 each and require painting to match your car.  When I had my 1977 Eldorado Biarritz hubcaps buffed and polished, the plastic disks were destroyed.  I decided not to install new disks, because the stainless steel hubcaps shined like chrome.  I feel they look better without the colored disks.  On my 1976 Eldorado Barritz, the hubcaps were painted.  I think the disks were first used in 1977.