News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac 61 Series Vacuum / Windshield Vacuum Hose Sizes?

Started by conyankee2, November 22, 2023, 12:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conyankee2

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace all of the vacuum hoses in my 1947 61 series. I've cut off several pieces of hose (hose that goes to the radio / hose that goes to the antenna). It's very old, but the outer diameter looks to be about 3/8 -7/16. The inner diameter looks to be approximately 1/4. Again it's really old so hard to tell and can't seem to find much info on what the sizing SHOULD be 'new'.

Also want to replace the windshield washer fluid lines as well. There are some larger ones, and then the much smaller ones that feed the sprayers to the windshield.

If anyone has this info, it would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Matt
1947 Cadillac 61 Series Sedan Hydamatic
1978 Cadillac Seville Sedan

Upnorth

Hey Matt  I just had a tour of the land under my dash for a WW wiper issue The small tubes are 1/8 inch I used clear plastic for them. the rubber ones appear to be 1/4 inch as you suggested .

I hope this helps
Cheers Al

toybox

I agree with up north. I used 1/4 on the wiper and radio antenna and 1/8 on the squirters. Make sure you get good thick wall hose for the vacuum side as the cheep Chinees stuff will collapse when it gets warm. Tim

conyankee2

Thank you both! In the intervening 5 months since my post I basically came to the same conclusion. The 1/8th tubing for the squirters is undisputed in my opinion. I did find pictures of the original installation instructions for the Trico windshield washer fluid systems of the period (Cadillac and other car brands) and all the ones I could find reference 3/16 and 1/8 ID hoses. 3/16 and 1/4 are close enough for either to work I'm sure, but here are some photos for anyone curious/informational purposes.
1947 Cadillac 61 Series Sedan Hydamatic
1978 Cadillac Seville Sedan