News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Synthetic Oil from Valvoline

Started by Patrick Fant, February 16, 2024, 02:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Isn't it only Lead that affects Catalytic Converters?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 22, 2024, 12:30:14 AMIsn't it only Lead that affects Catalytic Converters?

Bruce. >:D
Well, I thought zinc did too. I'm not sure.

Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Damaging cats was one of the reasons they say they reduced the zinc levels.  I think its an overall evolution thing.  75 the engine and cats were both relatively crude so the zinc in the cat wasn't really hurting anything.  As engines got better they were able to make cats better and that was when the zinc became an issue for the cats and luckily by that time most new production engine didn't need the zinc so they reduced it.

Could you overdue it? I'm sure you could.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chopper1942

Zinc and phrosphorus are/can be CAT killers in high doses. that's why most high ZDDP oils are recommended for off-road use only. No CATS! I have posted several times about using ZDDP and synthetic oils in older vehicles. Mobil 1 20-50 is one of the lower cost readily available. >$30.00 for 5 qts. at Walmart. Valvoline and Pennzoil also have oils. go to the manufactures web sites and check out the specifications for oils to use with flat tappet cams.

David Greenburg

I don't think there is any question that synthetic is a superior lubricant, and I use it in all my newer vehicles. However, I don't use it in my old Cadillacs. First, they have a very gentle "lifestyle," being driven gently and only in dry weather for maybe 1000-1200 miles/year, and I change the oil annually, so the extended miles between oil changes is meaningless. Second, like most old Cadillacs, they have some incontinence issues, which I'm afraid would only be aggravated by using synthetic, with its smaller molecules. In recent years, I've been using either Lucas hot Rod oil or Rotella T4. If I had a freshly rebuilt engine I might consider using synth. From the get-go although I'd still be worried about leaks due to the larger tolerances in these old engines.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Chopper1942

If you want to know all about oils, go to Lake Speed Jr's You Tube site. He will tell you more than oil than anyone else and it is not biased by brand sponsorship.