News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959-60 Oil dipstick

Started by 60eldo, February 27, 2024, 04:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Can anyone tell me the proper length of a 59-60 oil dipstick tube, maybe one of you have one out of the car already, sitting on the shelf. Mine is broke but is 18 in. long/
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

Chips Caddies on eBay can sell you a new one. I bought one from him for my 390
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

60eldo

Do you still have your old one that you can measure?
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

Yes but it is buried behind the spray booth I built. That is where my old part salvage box is hidden away. I looked to see if I can get to it. But no I cannot.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

60eldo

Thanks for the effort Chewii
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

Ok so Im thinkin,,,maybe if someone has a block, in the garage, you could measure the tube without taking it out, from the top to base of the block.
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

I can get that. The part that goes through the block is about 6 inches. The install instructions from Chips says you need to possible bend the portion going into the oil pan to make sure that it clears the crank shaft. He gives a lot of caution on trying to bend the tube there and between the exhaust manifold. It can easily brake at the block.

Clewisiii

About exactly 10 inches coming out of the block.

IMG_20240227_195524170.jpg

60eldo

Thanks Chewii, a friend of mine just called me and said his is 8/34,,,now I dont no wat to do, maybe some others will chime in on this. 1 3/4 in dif could mean a qt or 2,,,,mmmm
Jon. Kluczynski

Lexi

Quote from: Clewisiii on February 27, 2024, 04:10:03 PMChips Caddies on eBay can sell you a new one. I bought one from him for my 390

I got the diptube from Chip for my car. Good guy to deal with. Don't know what the dipstick is like but his tube repro was spot on and of high quality. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

I have one from Chip, not yet delivered to the lazy customer. The tube is emerging from the ridge over 220 mm (8.66"); total tube'length is 369  mm (14.5"). The dip stick has a length from the "washer" to the end over 560 mm (22").
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David Greenburg

I'm guessing that 60 and 61 are the same, but I'll check my '60 on Wednesday and report back.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Roger Zimmermann

No: 1961 is not the same tube as 1960; it has another part number. Same for the dip stick.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

The '61 and '62 engine has a 1" shallower sump than the '60, because the engine sits lower in the chassis because of the body change.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

This has no influence on the tube: 1959, 1960, 1962 to 1964 have the same tube. 1961 has a different tube, why? one more wonder at GM!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

60eldo

Roger, I think ur right on all measurements. Chewii, maybe remeasure yours let us no. Other wise u will get a false reading.
Jon. Kluczynski

David Greenburg

I think I can put this to rest, as I have a '60 and '61 parked next to each other. The '60 tube sticks up 8 3/4 inches from the block. The '61 tube sticks up further, about 10 inches.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

60eldo

Is it possible to make a new tube, looks easy enough. Just  14 1/2 in copper 7/16 piece of pipe and slide it in having 8 3/4 sticking out.
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

Ok how about this. Between 1960 and 1961 what is the difference in the dipsticks themselves. Measurement from top to the top of fill line.

Clewisiii

For 61 both my original and the replacement from Chips measures about 18 7/8 inch from top to fill line.

IMG_20240228_191351608.jpgIMG_20240228_191435797.jpg