News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What are these switches

Started by Daffer, March 07, 2024, 04:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daffer

Just a bit curious to what these switches are I tried looking through the owners manual and didn't find anything. I know the switches on the right makes my fog lights brighter but I have no idea what the left one does. Anyone know?
Thanks, Joshua

Cadillac Jack 82

Are those factory or aftermarket?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

59-in-pieces

Josh,

What is the year and model of your car.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Daffer

It's a 1950 cadillac series 62 and the switches are factory

Daffer

Cadillac Jack 82

Odd I dont know of having a dimmer on fog lights.  Does the light switch dim the dash lights?  Seems like something might not be wired right?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Jay Friedman

I don't know what they are for, but will make an educated guess.

I do know that on a 1949 Cadillac with a Standard Heating System used on cars in mild climates (as opposed to the Automatic Heating System used on most cars), there are 2 underdash switches to control the heater and defroster, respectively. It MAY be (and I emphasize the word MAY), your car has a Standard Heating System and one or both of these are switches to control it.

Let us know if there are other switches that control your heating system.  If so, I'm wrong. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Daffer

Quote from: Cadillac Jack 82 on March 07, 2024, 11:31:11 PMOdd I dont know of having a dimmer on fog lights.  Does the light switch dim the dash lights?  Seems like something might not be wired right?

The switch doesn't truly dim it. It basically turns the small fog light bulbs off and turns what would be the turn signal lights on so not sure what the purpose of that is. But it's there 😂. Possibly parking light but I don't even know what parking lights are.

-Joshua

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Daffer on March 08, 2024, 09:18:06 AMPossibly parking light but I don't even know what parking lights are.   -Joshua   
Parking Lights are the low intensity lights at the front and rear that only glow when the Head Light Switch is pulled out to the first detent.

In the rear, they are the Tail Lights, as against the Brake Lights which are brighter, and the front, could be in the separate lights at the end of the Grill.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daffer

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 08, 2024, 07:15:50 PMParking Lights are the low intensity lights at the front and rear that only glow when the Head Light Switch is pulled out to the first detent.

In the rear, they are the Tail Lights, as against the Brake Lights which are brighter, and the front, could be in the separate lights at the end of the Grill.

Ohhh ok, I appreciate the info I never knew that.

Thanks, Joshua

The Tassie Devil(le)

The reason they are called "Parking Lights" I believe dates back from olden times when vehicles had to have warning lights when parked on the sides of roads to warn other road users of there being an obstacle in their path.

In European cars, they have the ability to only turn the lights on the side of the car that is farthest out from the curb.   This way, they can leave them on all night without too much drain on the battery.

Remember that back in the days when there was limited Street Lighting, it got very dark out there as everyone turned off their lights when they weren't required, and there was not the mass illumination like today with advertising signs everywhere.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

59-in-pieces

And all this time since I got my first driver's license, I thought the parking lights were used when we went to the drive-in movies at night, and turned the headlights off as a courtesy to the amorous movie goers, while we looked for our parking space, and then hung the speaker on our driver's window.

LOL!

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

I always got to the Drive-in well before starting time. ;)  ;)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe