News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Electronic Ignition Conversions - Who Makes the Best? Pertronix? Accel? Mallory?

Started by Varooom, December 23, 2022, 07:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varooom

Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

The Tassie Devil(le)

I went with the GM HEI from a '75/6 Eldorado, but had a little bit of a hood clearance problem in my '72 Eldorado.

It started to destroy the insulation, so I did a bit of creative modifying of the cap.

Maybe it was the ACELL coil cap that caused it, but I still did the modification.

Plus, I had to use the later AIR plumbing if I wanted to retain it as the smaller distributor uses a different tube..

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I have used the Pertronix 2 in several cars with great results and recently put a Lectric Limited
unit in a '68 Bonneville which also has been working well.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

bcroe

Quote from: Varooom link=msg=531073. Any opinions on the
differences/advantages for just getting more reliable
performance in a 1967 Eldorado?  There is certainly a
lot of price difference. 

I started building electronic ignitions with my 62, the
points were so bad.  Those points eliminator adapters
will get rid of the points, but still use the rest of
your original ign.  I much prefer the HEI type, for a
number of reasons.  Because it used timed charge
instead of a ballast resistor, it actually uses (wastes)
LESS battery power.  The spark is certainly a lot more
powerful, and plugs will go 100K miles.  HEI is not so
likely to arc over in wet conditions.  No adjustment
needed if a module is swapped, unlike points tuneup. 
And the ign source is reduced to one component, no
parts strung over the engine compartment. Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I don't think the 75-79 HEI fits the 67 429 so he needs some sort of bolt on conversion.

An option that is almost never mentioned that I kinda like even though its got a little more expensive than it used to be is an 'ignition box' like the MSD 6 series that has been around forever.  I don't have any hands on expeience with the current model but previous models worked well and were reliable.  Reasons I like it is you are gaining more than just electronics, its also a multi spark and capacitive discharge. Basically its boosting the voltage going into the coil and it can fire it multiple times per event so that gives you the best possible chance of getting a good spark. 

Unlike other conversions with this route you are keeping the points. This isn't all good because the quality of points available today is crap but if you can find a good set they basically should last forever because all they are doing in this application is triggering the boxes electronics so you don't get the wear from the arching when they are directly driving the coil.  An advantage to this setup is because you are keeping the points to go back to a stock system if the box failed you just have to do your wiring so you can bypass the box.  On the older units I have played with the connector they used was easy to find so you could just make a jumper plug that went in place of the box that conencted things back to stock.  Not sure what they are using for the new one so maybe you would have to put connectors in the old harness that lets you plug it back together to be stock. 

https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/ignition_boxes/street/parts/6201  

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Make this easy, Pertronix. Get the appropriate Flame Thrower coil as well, some fit vertically, some horizontally,
get the right one for your car. And get 2 (two) Pertronix. Put the extra module in dual Faraday Defense bags and place
into your trunk with the tool necessary to replace the module ie a phillips head screwdriver.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

dadscad

I switched my 63 over to a pertronics 1 with a msd 40 k coil back in the 90's. After several years and lots of miles the coil failed.  By then pertronics had developed the 2 and 3 version with their matching flamethrower coils.  I bought the #2 and the coil to match. So far the #2 version and coil have been performing well.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I installed a Pertronix set up in my 66-429 and it worked flawlessly from 1995 to 2012 when the car went to the UK and is still working. Setting up the clearances correctly is the only trick to the installation
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Chuck Swanson

Hands down Lectric Limited.  Don't fall for the "buy a new coil" hype with Pertronix.  Have LL Breakless SE on 4 cars over 10 years, no issues.  No risks with leaving key in ignition either.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Varooom

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on December 24, 2022, 02:32:51 PMHands down Lectric Limited.  Don't fall for the "buy a new coil" hype with Pertronix.  Have LL Breakless SE on 4 cars over 10 years, no issues.  No risks with leaving key in ignition either.

That's quite a price difference between the Lectric Limited at $170 and the Pertronix at $87 which can use the stock coil if I am not mistaken.  I am no mechanic but have installed three Pertronix over the last 25 years. What do I get for the extra $83 I must ask? 

Also, what is the risk of leaving the key in the ignition?
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

dadscad

With the original pertronics 1, if you left the ignition switch on without the motor running it would burn out the module. With the newer #2 or #3 module it isn't an issue. They have circuitry to prevent that from happening.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Varooom on December 24, 2022, 03:54:18 PMThat's quite a price difference between the Lectric Limited at $170 and the Pertronix at $87 which can use the stock coil if I am not mistaken.  I am no mechanic but have installed three Pertronix over the last 25 years. What do I get for the extra $83 I must ask? 

Also, what is the risk of leaving the key in the ignition?

I believe you are looking at the original Ignitor 1, the Igniter III lists for $158.89
https://pertronixbrands.com/collections/ignitor-iii

Also, if stock appearance is a concern, the Pertronix uses an extra wire to the coil. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Varooom

Chuck - Thanks for linking to the Pertronix III - apples to apples now. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Roadmaster 76C

bcroe

Quote from: TJ HoplandI don't think the 75-79 HEI fits the 67 429 so he needs some
sort of bolt on conversion.   

We need someone to adapt HEIs to more older engines. 

It would be good to know just how each of these ign
systems work, be able to compare them.  My first was
an electronic amplifier, it kept the points but did
not subject them to the high current that usually
burns them out.  Life was limited to the cam follower
which never failed for me. 

Others may amplify the points signal, or re time the
coil charging current to avoid the energy waste and
limited energy of ballast resistor operation.  The
idea of burnout when ign is left on, is poor. 
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Bruce jogged my memory when he said people should make HEI's fit more stuff.  I forgot Davis is still around but hang onto your checkbook when you look at the one for the 429  $650
https://performancedistributors.com/product/cadillac-distributors/

What do you mean about the idea of burnout when ignition is left on is poor?  I have only had one coil explode and warped a few sets of points.  The explosion was what got it in my head to think about turning the power off as soon as the engine quits running.  I wasn't standing over it at the time but it still scared the crap out of me and kinda made a mess.     

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jason Edge

I have run the Pertronix  II and then the Pertronix III setup in my 64 Coupe de Ville for now over 20 years between the two
with zero issues. I have never used any other brand so have nothing to compare it to but will say I liked the III better than
the II because the distributor does not have to be removed. I do vaguely remember after the fact that they may have  II version
where distributor doesn't have to be removed. I always run the companion flamethrower coil. I use the black one so I can peel
the label so it will look stock. Other than the one wire from distributor as I recall, it all tucks under the distributor cap
retaining the factory look.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jason Edge

Just a note to the original poster and others, when you post a link you can enter a short description
in the optional description field so we don't have to see the long URL and have to scroll off the screen.
See red arrow to box in screen capture at bottom.

For example in the original post I added Click Here which gives you Click Here

Link Description Field.jpg

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

dadscad

Thanks for the tip Jason. I didn't know about that.  Here's another helpful tool to shorten a long URL.

https://tinyurl.com/

Just copy and paste the long URL in the field and click make the url. Copy and paste the short version where you want it.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

badpoints

I put the Accel point conversion in my 1967 SDV. I would not buy it again or recommend. The screws that held it to it's mounting plate were slightly too long
and it didn't sit flat. I had to find very small washers. When I mounted the slotted interrupter , that breaks the light beam, an spun the distributor. It had an up and down wobble.
I thought my distributor was warped. After taking apart and checking everything the distributor is not warped, just the Accel piece. I figured a little up and down doesn't matter as long as it breaks the light beam.
I reluctantly put the distributor in the car and it does run well.

scotth3886

I use a Pertronix III in my 66 Fleetwood and it's been fine.  I started out over 20 years ago with a Pertronix I in my GM brand 'P' and the module burned out after five or six years so
 I updated to a Pertronix II or III (I don't remember which) and it's been fine for the last for the last 15 years or so.  I use the stock points and condenser on my 61 GM brand 'P' and it's been fine
provided that I change points every five years or so