News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Shepard Cadillac Oakland CA License Plate FRAME/ Holder wanted

Started by FINZ Editor New Zealand, March 18, 2024, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FINZ Editor New Zealand

Hi. Has anyone got or know where I can source either an original or reproduction license plate FRAME I can attach to my 1968 Calais that was sold by Shepard Cadillac in Oakland, CA in December 1967. An example is attached (plate number not mine). OR if anyone knows where I can source someone that produce a similar plate with raised letters and I will have one re-created. I did wonder if any old cars in wrecking yards in Oakland may be a source? Could anyone suggest such a yard? Any suggestions, gratefully received.

1941cadillac

1941 Cadillac series 63

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Lexi

Quote from: FINZ Editor New Zealand on March 18, 2024, 09:38:39 PMHi. Has anyone got or know where I can source either an original or reproduction license plate FRAME I can attach to my 1968 Calais that was sold by Shepard Cadillac in Oakland, CA in December 1967. An example is attached (plate number not mine). OR if anyone knows where I can source someone that produce a similar plate with raised letters and I will have one re-created. I did wonder if any old cars in wrecking yards in Oakland may be a source? Could anyone suggest such a yard? Any suggestions, gratefully received.

Hello Ron. American dealer licence plate frames regularly come up for sale on Ebay.com (USA). That may be your best bet, but would probably take a while. Clay/Lexi

FINZ Editor New Zealand

Thanks all for the replies. By chance I discovered 'Brad Barrie facebook.com/oldschoolplateframes'; who creates masterful replicas of the original thing, albeit, no raised letters/ images (I checked the guy out before committing and he seemed the 'real deal' and I know he is). However the authenticity looks amazing with same colours, font etc. (compare replica to original specimen). I did actually find an original plate frame for sale on ebay.com for US$350 which converted to NZ$ (as i live in NZ) is worth NZ$614 plus shipping in local currency. Can I justify over $600 in local currency for a plate frame? The replica cost be approx. US$62 incl. shipping (a tenth of the original) to California Beach where coincidentally my son from NZ was visiting for a few days and the guy Brad who created the frame for me was able to ship it to him so it was received in the little 'window of time' when my son was in town (so to speak). I could believe my good luck. In fact I also procured a few other things I wanted online and everything got shipped at either no or little cost and got to the destination on time and in one piece - amazing.
Pictures of my mint original (never been painted or restored) yellow and black CA plate on the back of my Calais; an image of the ebay.com frame and an image of my replica frame. I am going to hunt for a drivers floor mat now! Best regards Ron Melville Editor FINZ Magazine CLC NZ