News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

For Sale - Cars / Re: 1976 CdV $13,500 17,000...
Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) - Yesterday at 09:48:03 PM
With the condition of the woodgrain fascia on the passenger side of the dash, and the broken seat belt clip on the drivers' seat, I would be thinking it has rolled over on the odometer to 117,000 miles.

Bruce. >:D
Technical / Authenticity / Re: How to restore 55 Series 7...
Last post by Lexi - Yesterday at 09:25:15 PM
Terry you are welcome. If cost isn't a reasonable concern, don't write off a graphic arts printer place. I had to build an electric light marquee for my Haunted attraction and planned on using a large sign that had florescent tubes inside and about 50 colored perimeter lights. I had a jpeg file of the Haunt's name & logo, which I took to the printer and told him what size to print. He did, and on that material I described in my earlier post. It was some sort of plastic, which also allowed my image to be back lit. It turned out looking like one huge Kodachrome slide, except it was thinner as I recall. They have other media options. Think the same stuff was used in the old video rental stores for the new release posters that were mounted in an electric back lit frame. It looked great. Just cut and trim to fit. Think it had an adhesive backing. The key issue is to have a detailed, very large size file of the image you want printed. Most internet photos are far from suitable. Too low a file size. Image size and quality are critical. The larger the better, include a scale so the printer has a size reference so the star like repeating pattern comes out in the correct aspect ratio. They may have to panoramic print them to fill the area on the dash required, but I suspect they work files as required via Photoshop or a similar program. Adhesive choice is another key factor as well as surface preparation. You will have to be guided by them. If you can't locate one, NOS or someone reproducing them, I would think your options are quite limited. There is a CLC Forum member/user who does specialty printing such as sign boards for our cars at shows. Perhaps he might have some suggestions? Can't think of his name, but if he reads this perhaps he can chime in. Clay/Lexi
General Discussion / Re: 1968 DeVille Convertible r...
Last post by D. Mailan - Yesterday at 08:49:10 PM
Fantastic restoration!! Looks like new!! Amazing color choice as well

Derick
General Discussion / Re: 1968 DeVille Convertible r...
Last post by dadscad - Yesterday at 08:47:46 PM
What a stunning transformation! Congratulations. Eye catching color combination, too.
General Discussion / Re: 1959 Eldorado Hubacp Clock
Last post by D. Mailan - Yesterday at 08:44:45 PM
Thanks John!

I was debating myself about using the original hands or using the new ones. I initially was going to reuse them but they seemed a little too "antique-like". I thought the new ones would be more simpler and "50's" looking.   
General Discussion / Re: Retouching prints by GM ph...
Last post by Tom Hall 7485 - Yesterday at 08:15:07 PM
Thank you for showing the comments on the reverse. They give us a few clues.

First, no, these color renderings aren't common. They were used to illustrate body styles during a period when a lot of people could live without a new Cadillac.

The mention about availability in cold, hot and rough tells us that the body styles could be rendered on different kinds of paper, and that suggests the possibility of custom-made renderings by an artist at Cadillac, possibly in various colors, to show a serious customer how a body style might look in a particular color.

This is about the different papers: https://gwartzmans.com/blogs/up-on-the-easel/hot-pressed-vs-cold-pressed-watercolour-paper#:~:text=It%20just%20depends%20if%20you,use%20hot%20pressed%20watercolour%20paper.

You might want to take one of the prints to an art conservator if you can't determine for yourself what paper(s) were used for the three prints. You might also want to see whether the mats that were used for framing have caused or will cause the paper to yellow.
Last post by J. Skelly - Yesterday at 07:39:02 PM
These were notorious for having the paint bubble up just below the vinyl top on both quarter panels when they were only a year old.  The color is a love it or hate it shade.   
Last post by Bryan J Moran - Yesterday at 07:20:14 PM
Quote from: James Landi on Yesterday at 07:25:58 AMSeems sad it's been on the market for over a year... must have some kind of "deal breaker" that requires expensive repair.  thanks for posting Bryan,  James

It is weird and something is going on.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: How to restore 55 Series 7...
Last post by tluke - Yesterday at 06:14:46 PM
Clay, thanks for the offer. I have installed the entire interior pieces myself already. When I purchased the car all the interior pieces were sitting next to it in the barn. The only thing installed was a bucket seat in the driver's position. All the pieces were all then just piled inside the car or trunk and the car shipped that way. I had to put it all together to confirm I had all the parts. I was actually missing the bulkhead and a few other pieces when the car arrived and they had to be sent separately. As I mentioned in another post about using and escrow company I withheld payment until he sent the missing parts. He ended up bringing them himself from Georgia to Utah as an excuse for a family vacation to the national parks in Utah and Las Vegas.
I had a '55 S75 in the 70s when I was in college and redid the whole interior on that one. Back then the car was just 20 something years old so it wasn't a classic, just an old Cadillac. Authenticity wasn't important so I just used wood grain vinyl shelf paper. One day when I had the rear dash out my neighbor in my apartment complex ran it over as it sat on the ground next to my car. I rebuilt the whole thing using a fiber glass kit. I also owned a '56 S75 and I much prefer the '56 backing. It's hard to believe there's only one year's difference between the two designs- the '55 is so old-fashioned and the '56 holds up better even today. Anyway, I'm not keen on using a graphic artist, I was hoping someone had already done that.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 2000 Eldorado ETC P0741 Co...
Last post by Mike Shawgo - Yesterday at 05:38:20 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, not so lucky with this one. I cleared the code hoping it wouldn't come back, but it did. Took it to a trans shop, and you guys were right--needs a transmission rebuild. I guess I'll go ahead with it. The trans shop said they could try various things like replacing the torque converter, TCC solenoid, etc, but if that didn't fix it, I would just be wasting money. And, I DO have to have an emissions test for this car in the state of Illinois.

Thanks for your comments,

Mike