News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Palomino & Gala "Mood" Motorama Cadillacs

Started by Charles D. Barnette, April 20, 2009, 12:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Temple

Quote from: veesixteen on April 23, 2009, 03:38:53 PM
Charles, I believe the "Caribbean" mood car's interior was trimmed in French broadcloth, piped and trimmed with iridescent green leather. The headliner was green broadcloth and the instrument panel was painted to match the exterior. Was that a slip of your pen, or is my info mistaken?

Charles used my book as the source of the information for all of the "mood" cars. As for the Caribbean, I used a GM-produced newsletter for the information about the 1949 show cars. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it at this time; it has not been referenced since I completed the book three years ago. Your information is quite possibly correct. I have seen a few GM-released reports about their show cars which were not entirely correct so the possibility exists that my source was wrong. Another unfortunate fact is that detailed photos of the Caribbean were not available while writing my book.

David Temple

Quote from: veesixteen on April 23, 2009, 05:37:29 PM
Hi Lou; are you sure the photos of the Eldorado Brougham are from the 1956 Motor Show? Some details of the car suggest it's a 1957 production model.  In fact, I'm assuming it's car #3, since car #1 was blue with a blue leather interior and car #2 was primrose yellow and had white leather bolsters. Car #3 is the one that was used for all the early promotions, including the movie clip that was shot in Central Park and most notably at the Tavern on the Green. You will notice the car has the rear view mirror mounted on the windshield header, the Autronic-Eye on the LH sie of the dash, the special locking "dog-leg" for the suicide doors and the correct "turbine-vane" cast alloy wheels. The 1956 production prototype, shown in NY in Jan. 1956, then in Paris in October that year, was still missing much of the trim seen later on production models; also it featured custom alloy wheels, the doors locked into the sill plate and the rear-view mirror and Autronic-Eye were combined into a single unit in the center of the dashboard. 

The 1956 Eldorado Brougham prototype received updates along the way including the addition of rocker panel moldings. It was shown in NYC at "America on the Move" in the Fall of 1956. The photos of the Eldorado Brougham must show a production car unless further modifications were made to the prototype such that it became indistinguishable from a production version. Note the inside rear view mirror is on the header rather than the dash. Also the wheels are not the Sabre Spoke type.

David Temple

Quote from: veesixteen on April 23, 2009, 04:11:03 PM
Thanks for bringing to our notice these three "mood" cars for 1953.  I was completely unaware of their existence.  What is the source of your information, Charles? Are they mentioned in David Temple's book? Do you have any pics ?

Yann, see page 106 of my book. Two of the three "mood cars" are seen in the photo taken at the Kansas City GM Motorama.

David Temple

Quote from: veesixteen on April 23, 2009, 04:33:49 PM
Once again, I was unaware of the existence of these pre-"mood" cars for 1954.  I have added them to the Cadillac Database. Can you tell us the source of your information? Do you have any pics?

Yann, see page 113. Two of the three "mood cars" are probably shown with the La Espada. I did not realize these were probable mood cars until this discussion. While writing my book I zoomed in on the plaque seen on the front of the gold car in the corner; it says "Cadillac 60 Special" therefore I did not realize it was a mood car (expecting to find an exotic name instead). However, I now see Cadillac did not offer a gold color as seen on this car, thus it must be the pearlescent gold show car. The car to the left in the photo is very likely one of the other mood cars (a term not in use until 1956). Cadillac did offer shades similar to those seen on this car but suspect these colors to be "pearlescent peacock green" and the lighter shade of green used for the show car.

Charles D. Barnette

So Cadillac owners of cars manufactured during the Motorama years, get under the hood and check your data plates to see if your car has an exotic "trim and paint code" or an SO number and is an early production car. If so, you might own a Motorama "Mood Car" that a previous owner might have changed to more conservative exterior and interior colors not knowing what a "Collector's Jewel" he actually had. I would like this thread to be responsible for finding any of these "Mood Cars". Charles D. Barnette

veesixteen

It's incredible the amount of information that's out there.  It's just not always easy to find what one is looking for.  You did a great job with this one, Lou.  Thanks.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Thanks, David, for this reply and thy next ones in this thread.  You really have your eye on the ball !

Charles D. Barnette

When the 1956 Maharani was at Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, Maryland, last October, I snapped several pictures of her. I wish to share them with the club. Remember of all the Motorama Mood Cars listed herein, this one is the only known one in existence now. Futher it is the ultimate example of what a Mood Car should be. My legal assistant Carla Tynes will do the honors in the next several posts. Charles D. Barnette

Carla

The fabulous Maharani!

Carla

The front seat sink and the back seat...

Carla

Front and back of Maharani.

Carla

Drivers side exterior and interior of Maharani.

Carla

Under the hood and passenger side view of Maharani.

Carla

ooops, sorry   Here is the Maharani picture instead of the Buick Enclave... Charles just keeps me so busy I don't know which one is which...  Note the display in front of the Maharani.  These photos were taken 2008 in Greenbelt, Maryland, at Capitol Cadillac except for the Enclave, which was taken at the Detroit Auto Show in 2006.

David Temple

Quote from: Charles D. Barnette on April 23, 2009, 07:21:25 PM
So Cadillac owners of cars manufactured during the Motorama years, get under the hood and check your data plates to see if your car has an exotic "trim and paint code" or an SO number and is an early production car. If so, you might own a Motorama "Mood Car" that a previous owner might have changed to more conservative exterior and interior colors not knowing what a "Collector's Jewel" he actually had. I would like this thread to be responsible for finding any of these "Mood Cars". Charles D. Barnette

There really should be at least one or two more of these "mood cars" in existence. The possibility exists that over the decades the history of any survivor(s) would have been lost. Someone in this club could have one without knowing it because the car was "restored to stock condition." Imagine the potential condition of any one of these cars after decades - five repaints and worn "J.C. Whitney" seat covers. A "mood car" could be unrecognizable from any other Cadillac of the same vintage. A restorer might not necessarily have performed a data plate restoration. I strongly recommend checking those data plates if you have not done so. Check data plates on Cadillacs found in salvage yards and on cars for sale. An "S.O." number on a separate tag is a major clue. That combined with trim codes not matching standard ones represent another. Those alone would not prove a Motorama history but would indicate a show car history or at least an "executive special." A low body number or serial number is another important piece of information. There were nearly 20 Cadillac "mood cars" plus the Coupe deVille prototype built for the "Transportation Unlimited" (1949), "Mid-Century Motorama" (1950), and "GM Motorama" (1953-1956) shows. (There was also a pearlescent white Cadillac at the 1959 GM Mototama). There are indications of the Couple deVille prototype and the Debutante having survived into the 1970s. The other cars quite possibly did not leave GM with their original finishes; those with pearlescent paint were likely repainted before being transferred into private ownership. My understanding is that pearlescent paint quickly deteriorated so one could not expect to strip the paint to the original color on one of these cars and find for instance pearlescent peacock green (as on the 1954 Coupe deVille show car). Short of something like a TV in the back passenger compartment (1955 Westchester), a kitchen sink (1956 Maharani), or a 133-inch wheelbase Coupe deVille (1949 prototype) the most telling evidence of a show car history will probably be found only on the data plate.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Carla on April 24, 2009, 03:32:18 PM
Charles just keeps me so busy I don't know which one is which... 
G'day Carla,

I do hope that Charles gives you a raise in wages for being so busy. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Charles D. Barnette

Thanks Bruce. I do have two wonderful ladies that work for me and keep my law office running smoothly. They are Carla and Nancy. However posting the crossover Buick Enclave on the Cadillac LaSalle site is not exactly what the Buick designers had in mind when they dubbed their vehicle a crossover! If I ever get to Australia there are two famous persons there I want to meet- you of course and Olivia Newton John. I have had a crush on her my entire life. Can you arrange a meeting for me with her, and may I borrow your Cadillac for the occasion? Charles-also could you convert your car into a "Mood Car" before Olivia and I take it for a spin? All red interior and exterior would be nice!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry mate,

Olivia is sopmewhere in either New South Wales or Queensland, and I am in Tasmania.   Actually, she is probably still in Los Angeles at the moment.

Sydney is not that far by Road, but I have to drive 3 hours to get to the Ferry to cross 200 miles of what can be the roughest stretch of water in the world, Bass Strait, to get to the "Big Island up North", which we call the Mainland.  Then, 11 hours non-stop driving to get to Sydney.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Charles D. Barnette

Bruce, what a geography lesson! Tasmania sounds like a good place for me to hide from my clients if needed. CNN has just reported that GM is pulling the plug on Pontiac. While we are waiting for the Cadillac Motorama "mood cars" to be found, I want to pick up on another subject touched on in this thread earlier. Again with the auto industry in turmoil, it is up to the auto clubs to preserve the rich history of man's greatest artifact-the automobile. I am a member of three great car clubs that although are based in America have members around the world. Our international car clubs I believe are a great force in bringing peace and tranquility to a world now full of financial chaos. In fact I think the world should be managed by our car clubs-what a thought! Last week my local antique car museum was visited by 6 Hungarian college students on an exchange program through the local college. Carla will post on Monday a picture of them and me posing in front of a 1955 Caillac and a 1941 Cadillac. I will be the one in the middle with yellow suspenders. In Hungary they call spark plugs by the name of "starting candles". This picture and event captures what I am trying to say, and that is that the love of the automobile stretches across global boundaries; and that love may help save our world in overcoming difficult days. So Bruce, you being in Tasmania are an important part of this club my friend. Our international car clubs have the ability to start candles that will illuminate the entire world! Charles D. Barnette

veesixteen

Just a wee bit off topic, Charles, the French for spark plugs apparently closely resembles the Hungarian name.  In  French-speaking countries, they are called "bougies d'allumage" [i.e. "lighting candles" or "starting candles"] or simply "bougies" ["candles"].  There is a story going around in France about a blonde woman driver [[sorry ladies, especially blondes - I do love you !!!]] who said to her husband, when the car stalled, that "c'est peut-etre le ventilateur qui a eteint les bougies" [i.e. "perhaps it was the fan that blew out the candles"] - a pun that may be understood only by Francophones.

I agree with your take on members of "car clubs."  Gita and I have been around (a couple of times! - including to visit Bruce & Bronwyn in Tasmania !!!) and I can assure you there are no more friendly, hospitable and generous people in the world than those who share a common interest in old cars.  And we have encountered the same show of friendship among toy collectors, ad collectors, collectors in general, boat owners, amateur cyclists and musicians.