News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

1956 Palomino & Gala "Mood" Motorama Cadillacs

Started by Charles D. Barnette, April 20, 2009, 12:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

In the June 2009 issue of Collectible Automobile magazine on pages 76 and 77, the 1956 Palomino and Gala "Mood" Motorama Cadillacs are pictured (these are rare photos showing exterior and interior features). What is a "Mood Car" you ask? At the GM Motoramas (1949-1961) you had the one- of- a- kind Dream Cars that predicted the future (for example the 1956 Eldorado Brougham Town Car); also you had the new production cars on display. In between were the "mood cars"; these were new production cars with special exterior paint colors and with special interiors with the whole combination dubbed an exotic name. For 1956 there were 4 "mood" Cadillacs on display at the 1956 Motoramas. They were the Western themed metallic beige exterior with tan leather and calfskin hide interior Palomino (Series 62 Convertible); the "wedding themed" (umbrellas were housed in the front door armrests) pearlescent white exterior with pearl-white leather, satin, and nylon interior Gala (Sedan DeVille); the Starlight Silver exterior with black and white calfskin and silver nylon interior Castilian (Eldorado Seville); and last but not least, the metalic maroon exterior with operating "kitchen sink" Maharani (series 60 Special). Source: "GM's Motorama" by David Temple. Only the whereabouts of the Maharani is known today-where are the other three? This was a time when GM had a blank check to create  whatever it wanted to and a time when what was good for GM was good for the country! Those days are gone I guess forever. Finally for those into Cadillac racing, in the same magazine is an excellent article on the Mexican Road Race-the Carrera Panamericana and the paticipation by two 1954 Cadillacs in same. On pages 64 and 65, there is a story about a replica Mexican Road Race Cadillac. Charles D. Barnette

David #19063

Quote from: Charles D. Barnette on April 20, 2009, 12:51:34 PM
Finally for those into Cadillac racing, in the same magazine is an excellent article on the Mexican Road Race-the Carrera Panamericana and the paticipation by two 1954 Cadillacs in same. On pages 64 and 65, there is a story about a replica Mexican Road Race Cadillac. Charles D. Barnette

If I am not mistaken, the '54 Cadillac has the best acceleration times of any 1954 car.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Charles D. Barnette

When I contemplate the status of GM of today and compare it with the GM of yesterday, I think it gives clubs like ours and the Buick Club of America the impetus to sustain and grow our memberships to preserve GM's rich, immortal heritage! This year of 2009 is the 50th anniversary of the GM 1959 automobiles. Therefore each 1959 GM product is golden and should be properly recognized. We are doing this for the 59 Cadillac in Las Vegas June 17-20, 2009, at the CLC Grand National.  The Buick Club of America is doing this as well for the 1959 Buick in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at their National July 1-4, 2009. For further information, see the Buick Club of America site or the Buick 59.com site. Charles D. Barnette

jaxops

Quote from: Charles D. Barnette on April 20, 2009, 01:21:14 PM
Therefore each 1959 GM product is golden and should be properly recognized. We are doing this for the 59 Cadillac in Las Vegas June 17-20, 2009, at the CLC Grand National.  The Buick Club of America is doing this as well for the 1959 Buick in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at their National July 1-4, 2009. For further information, see the Buick Club of America site or the Buick 59.com site. Charles D. Barnette

Yeah Charles!  Excellent post.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Charles D. Barnette

OK my fellow Cadillac lovers, at this point this thread could take off in one of a thousand different directions. What I would like to do is to cover for each GM Motorama Show year the beautiful Cadillac "Mood Cars" that were on display at the Motoramas (49-61) using as my source David Temple's book, GM's Motorama. Everyone is familiar with the production Cadillacs and "Dream Car" Cadillacs, but less familiar are the "Mood Cars". I am thinking that the study of same may help us rekindle our love for Cadillac, may serve as a creative thought for future designers of Cadillac, and maybe-just maybe-might help locate these treasured automobiles. So here we go with 1949. There were three "Mood Cars" displayed by Cadillac in the 1949 shows as follows: 1. a modified Series 62 convertible named El Rancho. It had a Western themed interior painted "Mexican Dawn" brown on the exterior with the interior of waxed saddle leather trimmed with dark suede kip's hide and saddle-stitched in white cord. 2. a modified Fleetwood Sixty Special named Caribbean. Painted with "Caribbean Daybreak Green" exterior and outfitted inside with kip's hide suede and antiqued silver hardware. & 3. a modified Fleetwood Sixty Special named Embassy painted black fitted with a leather-covered roof and a toolkit of chrome plated tools. The interior had pearl-grey clipped sheepskin carpet. There was also a divider window between front and rear compartments. Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

For the 1950 Motorama, there was one main "Mood Car", and what a honey it was! (Because of the Korean War-there was no 51 or 52 Motoramas) The car was named "Debutante" which was a modified Series 62 convertible. Gold plated interior components and leopard skin upholstery were its main claims to fame. The exterior was painted "Tawny Yellow Buff', and the pearl luster of the paint was achieved by the use of moon-shaped fish scales! Where are you now Debutante? Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

For the 1953 GM Motorama there were three "Mood Cars" as follows: 1. a Coupe De Ville painted orange with a white Naugahyde-covered top; 2. another Coupe De Ville with a Naugahyde-covered top; and 3. a Fleetwood Sixty Special with a dark blue paint color and a matching Naugahyde top. Where are you guys now? Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

David Temple would have me tell you that the term "Mood Cars" was not actually, formally used by GM until 1956, however the implementation was there since 1949. Be that as it may the "Mood Cars" for Cadillac at the 1954 Motorama were as follows: 1. a Fleetwod 60 Special painted pearlescent gold with a long-grain leather landau top (interior was white leather and gold fabric); 2. a Series 62 Coupe de Ville with pearlescent Peacock Green paint on the lower body and a lighter shade of green for the top (interior was Peacock Green leather and light green nylon silver-threaded fabric employing a "V" and Cadillac Crest pattern for the seat inserts); and 3. a Fleetwood 60 Special painted Caprice Blue iridescent on its roof and Jorden Gray for the lower body (interior was dark blue broadcloth with light blue nylon inserts-black "V" and Cadillac Crest patern was also done in this vehicle). Check your barns to see if you have any of these! Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

There were no 1957, 1958, or 1960 Motoramas. There were no known Cadillac "Mood Cars" displayed at the 1959 or 1961 Motoramas. The Cadillac "Mood Cars" at the 1955 Motorama were as follows: 1. The Celebrity-this was a modified Coupe de Ville with bright red paint with a matching red long-grain leather-covered top. The interior was also bright red. 2. The St. Moritz-this was a modified Eldorado convertible painted pearlescent white with an interior finish of white ermine trimmed in pearlescent white English grain leather with floor carpeting of white mouton fur. & 3. The Westchester-this was a modified 60 Special with the exterior painted Korina Gold (looks yellow) and a padded black leather roof. The driver and passenger sections were divided by a glass partition-black interior up front and rear interior was black cloth interwoven with gold thread-floor carpeting was black mouton fur. A 14-inch television was mounted in the back of the front seat, also the car had air conditioning, a telephone, tape recorder, and Korino Gold wood paneling. All three were elegance on wheels! Where are these vehicles now? Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

South Paw, these are fabulous pictures of a production Eldorado Brougham and of the Director. The picture that grabs me the most is the one of the Director's interior showing a compartment for a handgun with holster and gun on display as well! Thanks so much for your posting. I wanted to add that probably the most famous GM Motorama "Mood Car" is the Maharani. It last appeared on display at Capitol Cadillac last October in Greenbelt, Maryland, sponsored by our own Potomac Region of CLC and Capitol Cadillac. Currently the Maharani is owned by Joshua Modlinger of New York. David Temple, author of "GM's Motorama", did an article on the Maryland event in the April 2009 issue of the magazine Cars & Parts entitled "Cadillac Dream Car Meet". Check it out for good reading! Charles D. Barnette

veesixteen

Charles, I believe the "Caribbean" mood car's interior was trimmed in French broadcloth, piped and trimmed with iridescent green leather. The headliner was green broadcloth and the instrument panel was painted to match the exterior. Was that a slip of your pen, or is my info mistaken?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

More on the 1949 "mood cars".  This is from the Cadillac Database and relates to the "El Rancho" special convertible. This comical letter to the editor was released by "Associated Newspapers" at the time: Gents, I have just read the advertisement for your new Cadillac model called the El Rancho convertible. It reads "this model is upholstered in waxed saddle leather selected from hundreds of hides for colour and texture, trimmed in dark sueded kip's hides and saddle-stitched in white cord; all interior trim is antiqued and hand-engraved silver in the western motif." Well, I am breathless, as it is just what I have wanted all my life. I have been riding around with unwaxed saddle leather long enough, and if any man has felt frustrated on the highways through a lack of selected hides I am that guy. There is no true happiness in today's traffic until you know you have leather upholstery and that it has not just been taken from any old cow but that somebody with the right taste has gone over the hides and selected some with taste. I crave the feeling that behind my car stands a skilled hide-picker and I don't mean a traffic cop with a spear. Also I am a sucker for waxed hides, not just hide that has been gone over quickly with some polish, I want wax, and plenty of it when I go out motoring. I have not been very happy when out in an automobile for some years; maybe it was the lack of wax, the feeling of humility that comes with a realisation one is improperly waxed and on the red light where everybody can see. I liked your emphasis on colour and texture. What good is a hide if the color and texture are not up to snuff? The wrong shape can ruin a Sunday trip to Mulligan's cove and I have a friend who went to a house party with leather the wrong texture and got treated like a mere nobody as soon as the word got around. I would like a rich oxblood shade. On the matter of kip's hides I will take a chance; I have never been much of a kip's hide motorist but the saddle stitching in white cord sounds good. My saddle stitching requirements have long been neglected by the auto industry. I got on a waiting list for white cord some years ago but never heard any more about it. White cord will give me a greater feeling of self-confidence on the road. The interior trim of hand-engraved silver is swell, especially in the western motif; I like western motifs in heavy traffic and trust you will throw in a sombrero, lariat and a couple of six-guns. Could I get autographs of Hopalong Cassidy and Tom Mix on the back seat? Also some spurs and chewing gum. Hey-ho, Silver! You have no idea what the mere description of the El Rancho model has done for me. Yours with enthusiasm,
[signed: Elmer]
P.S. send an extra can of wax, the big economy size.

veesixteen

I believe there was a fourth "mood" car in the 1949 line-up.  Called the "Coupe de Ville", obviously it was the precursor to that year end's new model, the new "Coupe de Ville".  Thnis mood car was based on the Series 60S  on 133" wheelbase.  Identified in factory records as style No. 6037X, features included a simulated rear fender air scoop (as used also on the Cadillac "Embassy"), rear fender stone guards, a short, chrome-plated kick-pad below the doors [later extended the full length of the door], chrome edging around the front and rear wheel openings and "Coupe de Ville" script on the rear fenders, above the rear wheel openings.  That trim as well as the "Cadillac" script on the front fenders was later removed and protective fender spears were added front and rear. Contrary to the other Autorama cars for 1949, this one had a full-width curved windshield in lieu of the standard split windshield; the back light. also was like the one used on the 1950 Series 75 sedans and limousines. All windows including front vents were hydraulically operated. The interior, including the headliner was upholstered in light gray leather to match the roof color; exterior color is not known but was probably a metallic dark gray. A short-wave radio transceiver was installed in the glove compartment; the rear arm-rest received a vanity case and writing pad. The car was used by GM President Charles E. Wilson who presented it in 1957 to his secretary. 

veesixteen

About teh 1950 "Debutante" Cadillac's own advertising copy writers said: Since its premier showing in January Cadillac's "Debutante" has been attracting nation-wide attention. Thousands have been awed by the striking originality and beauty of the motor car masterpiece - the most luxurious automobile ever built by the Cadillac Division  The car was featured in Life magazine for February 13, 1950 where it was  headlined "The $35,000 Cadillac "[Transportation section, p.62]. For a detailed description of "Debutante" refer to the "Dream Cars" section of the Cadillac Database for 1950-51.

veesixteen

Did you mean to leave out the "specials" shown by Cadillac in 1952:  the "El Dorado," precursor to the following year's bespoke "El Dorado / Eldorado" convertible and the "Townsman", a custom Series 60 Special.  Full descriptions and photos of these two special jobs may be found in the "Dream Cars" section of the Cadillac Database for 1952-53.

veesixteen

Thanks for bringing to our notice these three "mood" cars for 1953.  I was completely unaware of their existence.  What is the source of your information, Charles? Are they mentioned in David Temple's book? Do you have any pics ?

veesixteen

Once again, I was unaware of the existence of these pre-"mood" cars for 1954.  I have added them to the Cadillac Database. Can you tell us the source of your information? Do you have any pics?

Charles D. Barnette

Yann, thanks for your posts. I love it when you get involved in a Cadillac discussion. What I was trying to do was pick out of David Temple's book each Motorama year Cadillac Mood Car. Therefore any Mood Cadillacs for 1951, 1952, 1957, 1958, or 1960 were intentionally left out. Left out also were any Concept or Dream cars for the Motorama years. I consider the 49 Coupe de Ville to be in a higher category than a "Mood Car". As to the interior of the 49 Caribbean and as to the further details of the 53 and 54 Cadillac Mood Cars, I have asked David Temple to post responses to same. Thanks again for your passion and expertise on Cadillacs. Charles D. Barnette

veesixteen

In addition to the features mentioned by Charles, the interior of the 1955 Cadillac Celebrity use a red, silver-threaded V-Pattern for seats and seat back inserts, combined with red leather bolsters that were trimmed with chrome buttons and silver finish welts.  As for the "St. Moritz" special Eldorado, it featured also brushed aluminum floor mat grids and aluminum treads bordered with White Mouton. For the convenience of lady passengers a combination vanity was built into the front seat armrest.

veesixteen

Hi Lou; are you sure the photos of the Eldorado Brougham are from the 1956 Motor Show? Some details of the car suggest it's a 1957 production model.  In fact, I'm assuming it's car #3, since car #1 was blue with a blue leather interior and car #2 was primrose yellow and had white leather bolsters. Car #3 is the one that was used for all the early promotions, including the movie clip that was shot in Central Park and most notably at the Tavern on the Green. You will notice the car has the rear view mirror mounted on the windshield header, the Autronic-Eye on the LH sie of the dash, the special locking "dog-leg" for the suicide doors and the correct "turbine-vane" cast alloy wheels. The 1956 production prototype, shown in NY in Jan. 1956, then in Paris in October that year, was still missing much of the trim seen later on production models; also it featured custom alloy wheels, the doors locked into the sill plate and the rear-view mirror and Autronic-Eye were combined into a single unit in the center of the dashboard.