News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Le Mans

Started by mike mason, February 16, 2011, 06:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike mason

Now that Cadillac is returning to racing again, the I am reminded of Briggs Cunningham's heroic LeMans 1950 efforts finishing 10th with the 61 series coupe and 11th with Le Monstre.  What I didn't realize until I looked at the results is that a Cadillac powered Allard also finished 3rd. 
I am curious about what top speeds could or did these two cars reach, and what actual modifications were made to the two Cadillacs, other than the 5 carburetors on Le Monstre and the 2 four barrel carburetors on the coupe.   Le Mans rules were strict as to allowable modifications.  These cars were supposedly stock powered, but there must have been more than just 'intake' (carbs and manifolds) to make a significant difference. 
Some where, I read that a stock 50 would go 96 mph.   Mine did, many times, but could never go any faster, uphill, downhill, for miles.   Somewhere I read that the Cunningham cars exceeded 120 mph.   With all the frontal area and what must be a high coefficient of drag, I really wonder,
Anybody have any great ideas or information.  I would love to know.
Mike Mason