News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine Cradle for 500

Started by mgbeda, August 02, 2011, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Everybody,

I'm almost ready to pull the engine out of ol' Bessie (my '76 SDV).  And when I do that I'd like somewhere to put it.  I was going to get an engine stand, but then I found out you're not supposed to roll those around with an engine on them, and in my limited garage space most everything has to move around.  An engine cradle (or dolly) looks like a better idea for me.  I've only found one that says it'll fit a Caddy 500; this from Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1068-1/

Has anyone had any experience with Summit?  With engine cradles in general?  Is there another brand of cradle for a 500 out there?

Thanks,

-Mike Beda
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Dr. John T. Welch

I have used the cradle products from Summit, but I would not own them.  The construction is minimal to the task at best,  and the wheels/casters are sub par.  The best value for an engine cradle is provided by Stumpy,  stumpysfabworks@hotmail.com.  You can Google his business site by searching Stumpys.  He makes and stocks  custom cradles for most engine families, uses very high quality materials, his welds are superb, and there are several caster choices.  There is no comparision between his cradles and the import variety.  His prices are slightly higher than the discount houses, he is very plesant to deal with,  prompt in filling orders, and he will provide exactly what you desire.  You get what you pay for.       
John T. Welch
CLC   24277

TJ Hopland

I just did an international 390? motor that had to weigh in the ball park of a 500.  We bought the biggest modern 'imported' stand we could fine and it seemed to do fine.   I think it was rated at 2000 pounds which should be at least 2x what the motor weighs.    Im with you on not trusting the typical 750-1000 pound ones you typically see.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

What you need is a GOOD engine stand.   Mine will carry anything, and anywhere, and hold the engine in many positions of rotation.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Sorry about the engine on it, but I don't get to do too many Cadillac engines.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Steur

Just my .02 -- 472-500s are supposedly between small block and big block chevys in weight. I have my 472 on what TJ called an "import" stand from Nothern tool, not the cheapest but not the fanciest either, and it's fine although I do need the help of my cherry picker to turn it right side up again after working on it upside down.

76eldo

I rebuilt a straight 8 Packard engine many years ago.  A lot of weight and a long block too.

i got a heavy duty engine stand and took off the 3rd caster and installed heavy angle iron and two casters, making it a 4 wheeled balanced stand.  If was sturdy and could be wheeled around the shop.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)