News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing 1957 glove box lock

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 13, 2011, 10:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  The lock on my 57  Glove box needs to be replaced . Does anyone know of a tool or how to remove this lock ? Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks,
   Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Dan Koser

If you look at the bezel holding the lock in place, there are 8 facets cut into the inside of the bezel. The locksmith I use has re-keyed the lock to fit the trunk lock, and has it set up...with the key inside the glove box lock mechanism...to reinstall after I tighten the bezel. Unhappily, at least from my experience, the only way I know to remove the bezel with the lock already in place, is to unscrew it by any means you can. Perhaps wrap masking tape around the perimeter of the bezel and then use a pair of pliers to carefully unscrew it. Put masking tape on the painted surface surrounding the lock so as not to mar it during this work. Perhaps use feeler gauges or thin shims on each side of the lock mechanism to fit into the facets, and then attempt to unscrew the bezel with the shims in place. Regards,   Dan

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bill Balkie 24172

Thank to everyone ,
  I removed my glove box Door. and was able to remove the lock . First i soaked it in WD 40 . then i was able to grab the outside Bezel with a pair of pliers that had rubber tips .  I was able to work the bezel off . If you grab the housing with one hand and the bezel with the other hand , slowly but surly it will start to unthread itself. I think the trick is to take off the door and use WD 40 . I was able to find a new housing on Ebay .  Thanks Again ,
  Bill Balkie
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS