News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Adding PCV to a 1957 engine .

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, September 02, 2012, 08:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  My car presently has twin edelbrock carbs , It does have extra ports to draw vacuum . My
Question is . If i remove the draft tube and machine a plug ( Steel or Delrin ) with a lip to fit snugly in the draft  tube hole opening , and add a pvc valve  to the new plug connected to the vacuum port on the carb .  I think this will do the same job as the draft tube. but i will be recycling the fumes thru the carb.  Does this sound OK or am i missing something ?   The other question i have does someone make this kit  for the conversion .  Or something like it ?
   Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

As you described your actions will work beautiful, and the best way to do it is to use the top part of the draft tube, where it goes into the manifold, and cut the actual tube off about 2" from the downward length, invert it so it is in the vertical, and obtain a rocker cover from an inline engine (OHV naturally) and remove the complete fitting from that, and weld it onto the original piece you shortened.

In the conversion I did, I had to do a bit of adjusting to get it into the final position, but a bit of trimming and working with the oxy welding completed the task.

Once the hose from the Valve is in place, and connected to the base of the carby, the next project is the air intake into the sump.

What I did was use the opening that was left by the removal of the Fuel Pump, as I was using an electric pump, which necessitated converting the filler cap to a sealed cap, and using the air cleaner as the filtered air inlet.

I believe if you use the original oil filled oil cap as the filter, then it will soon dry out, and allow dust and grit into the engine internals.

Another way would be to modify one of rocker covers to take an air intake from possibly the same cover that you robbed the PCV valve from.   But, you have to also use the inner baffles to stop oil problems.

I apologise for the poor quality of the PCV Valve picture, but I fitted it whilst the engine was in.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Bruce ,
   Thank for the response . It is raining here in New Jersey today on this fine Labor day weekend . I had planned to go to a car show that was supposed to have a huge turnout .  Rain or shine .  Instead i am sitting here at work designing up my new retrofit to the PCV . I can have just as much fun with my car alone in a garage making it better as i do at shows .  thank you for your encouragement , i am sure it will work out fine . I like to keep my car as original and stock as possible , but when it comes to safety and practicality i am very flexable . Sometime in the near future i would like to explore the thought of replacing the original brake system with a dual system just for safety reasons . just another thing on my list .

Have a great Day,
        Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

quadfins

Hi Bill,
   I am sending you a PM, containing an article I wrote for the Self-Starter about PCV retrofit. If you like, I can also send the pics that went with it. Check your email.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Carl Schreiber

Jim -

I wouldn't mind looking at that article, too!  Any way you can post a link to the article (and pictures?  I'd really apreciate it.

Thanks,
Carl Schreiber