News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Reattaching the wearherstripping on the beltmoulding

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 22, 2013, 05:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
i am replacing my weatherstripping on the rear windows inside and outside . I have removed all the staples that held the original weatherstripping on .that leaves me with staple holes about .05 in diameter . i have made templates out of see Thu plastic to transfer the existing holes into the new weatherstrip .  I am not sure about screwing or riveting the new stuff back on . I would perfer not to add a bunch of new holes or even open up the one that are in the existing parts .  Has anybody done this before . And what is the best way to refasten these parts ? Should  any type of glue be used ?  I have added a photo .
Thanks in Advance ,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

The outside chrome on my ’66 has a flap squeegee type of wipe. I held the backing in place with clamps and used 1/8’ aluminum rivets drilling through the chrome and back edge of the wipe. A dab of black paint insures it won’t be seen

Ralph.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Ralph,
     Did you open up the existing holes or drill new ones . A simple pop rivet might be the easiest way and aluminum  pop rivet is very forgiving ,if for some reason you have to remove the rivet .  Ralph , as you know these molding both inside and outside are very expensive to replace . I have got to come up with a solid plan  before i take a hand drill to these parts .Even if i use a number 2  stainlees screw  i will have to open the existing holes and try to match drill the parts off of my template . The screws can not be more then a 1/4 inch long . If they are it might cause interference .  I also found a plastic push type rivet that might do the job in the McMaster carr catalog  and the nice thing is they are already black .The part number is 91020a128. I might not be as strong as an aluminum rivet but i might cut down on distortion .  I will have to experiment over the weekend . I will let you know the results .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

In the past, I have replicated the staples and carefully reapplied them by carefully inserting the staple points in the holes, and bending them over with a specially made clamp.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

I confused the inner and outer wiper methods and may have given you bad information writing from memory. I used the rivet method connecting the inside wipe to the upper wood panels of my doors. The panel’s metal edge has the staple holes but the metal backing of the wiper is continuous. It’s is nearly impossible to pass a staple unless you make a template of the existing staple holes and transfer and drill holes in the wiper baking. In addition some sort of fixture would be needed to bend the ends of the staples just as Bruce said.

The squeegee type wiper on my outer chrome belt molding has pre-punched slots that align with tabs provided on the wiper.

I had to clear this up, before someone took my incorrect advice and damaged their parts…….I should not rely on memory as much as I use to.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon