News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2014 Cadillac CTS

Started by Big Apple Caddy, March 26, 2013, 12:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 27, 2013, 10:07:44 AM
Ah yes, when Cadillacs still had Cadillac prices.  The base price of the 1989 Seville STS (about the size of the 2013 CTS) was around $36,000 which converts to over $67,000 in 2013 dollars!

Quote from: Andrew Armitage on March 27, 2013, 11:09:08 PM
Cadillac is inching back up on the prestige scale. I say they are doing a great job and their price points are justified. The new CTS is much more attractive than its predecessor. A nice XTS tops $60k and the restyled 2014 Escalade is rumored to be well into the $90k range, well equipped, which is about an $8k increase at the top end. In the professional livery world, Cadillacs are now commanding a premium over Lincolns and Carey International just ordered 150 XTSs (https://www.limodigest.com/IndustryUpdates/0313/iu-0313-Carey-International-Chooses-Cadillac-XTS.html) when a few years ago, Cadillacs were all but gone from the livery industry.

2009 Platinum ed was $75,610 MSRP. The only options were a couple of paint options (thunder grey, and the diamond colors) and the engine block heater.  That's the RWD price, AWD was another 1,500 more. Pricey, and it plummeted like a rock. But they are very nice cars.

I think there was a $1,900 overpriced option for DVD players in the rear of the front headrests, but you could count on 1 hand how many of those were installed. That was also a dealer installed option, and could be done for 1/2 or less by a competent car audio shop as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: David Smith on March 27, 2013, 07:52:01 AM
To me the best Seville and STS were the 92 restyle.
I agree; we sold a lot in Switzerland. Unfortunately, the quality was another matter; I was a SDM at that time; too many little problems which were really never solved during that generation.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

52Cadillac

Has anyone tried getting into the CTS. I like my butt in first. Try that in this car. I hit my head, and I'm only 5'11". Its My Dads car I drove recently, it's a head in only car for me. My Fav Gal also drove it and had no problem she said. Go figure. It just feels like I gotta crawl into it to drive away. Even as a passenger I have to crawl into the car. Once settled in, I enjoyed driving her.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Andrew Armitage on March 27, 2013, 11:09:08 PM
Cadillac is inching back up on the prestige scale. I say they are doing a great job and their price points are justified. The new CTS is much more attractive than its predecessor. A nice XTS tops $60k and the restyled 2014 Escalade is rumored to be well into the $90k range, well equipped, which is about an $8k increase at the top end. In the professional livery world, Cadillacs are now commanding a premium over Lincolns and Carey International just ordered 150 XTSs (https://www.limodigest.com/IndustryUpdates/0313/iu-0313-Carey-International-Chooses-Cadillac-XTS.html) when a few years ago, Cadillacs were all but gone from the livery industry.

I don't see Cadillac going back up the prestige scale that much yet as far as price points. The ATS was a step back, the XTS is still fairly inexpensive vs. DTSs of past, and the 2014 CTS while larger and pricier is really only going to the level the STS had been already, at best.

I do think this is a chance for Cadillac to capitalize on the discontinuation of the Town Car as far as the livery business but I don't see that adding prestige.  A problem with the Town Car is that it became too associated with livery service.  I don't see Cadillac letting that happen to the XTS unless they eventually end up making it a fleet-only vehicle after a new flagship replacement is introduced.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 28, 2013, 03:11:33 AM
2009 Platinum ed was $75,610 MSRP. The only options were a couple of paint options (thunder grey, and the diamond colors) and the engine block heater.  That's the RWD price, AWD was another 1,500 more. Pricey, and it plummeted like a rock. But they are very nice cars.

Yes, recent STSs could get pricey but I was referring to the base price of the 1989 model which was relatively stripped by 2013 standards.  The last STS started under $48,000 (almost $20,000 less than the 1989 when comparing 2013 dollars) and with much more standard equipment than the 1989.

Chris Cummings

My 20-year-old daughter flipped over the new 2014 CTS, said she just couldn't stop staring at it.  She loves it.  If Cadillac can strike a chord with that demographic, there's hope for a recovery of its former pre-eminence.

Chris Cummings
CLC 20072

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 28, 2013, 09:14:43 AM
Yes, recent STSs could get pricey but I was referring to the base price of the 1989 model which was relatively stripped by 2013 standards.  The last STS started under $48,000 (almost $20,000 less than the 1989 when comparing 2013 dollars) and with much more standard equipment than the 1989.

When was the last time anyone bought a Cadillac equipped only as a base model???

Back in the 60s when Climate control was still an option (and the most expensive option in the list) it was put on over 90% of all cars leaving Clark Street.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 28, 2013, 11:23:39 AM
When was the last time anyone bought a Cadillac equipped only as a base model???

Back in the 60s when Climate control was still an option (and the most expensive option in the list) it was put on over 90% of all cars leaving Clark Street.

True.  Add options to that 1989 and the price climbed even higher.  My point was simply that recent STSs (loaded by 1980s standard even at the base level) were notably less than what comparable models were in the past.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Chris Cummings on March 28, 2013, 11:17:36 AM
My 20-year-old daughter flipped over the new 2014 CTS, said she just couldn't stop staring at it.  She loves it.  If Cadillac can strike a chord with that demographic, there's hope for a recovery of its former pre-eminence.

Chris Cummings
CLC 20072

......she might like it, but can her and her peers have the necessary capital to purchase one of their own?

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 28, 2013, 02:24:04 PM
......she might like it, but can her and her peers have the necessary capital to purchase one of their own?

Maybe not, most 20 y/o are not new Cadillac buyers, but perhaps it will be a make/model she will aspire to own someday.  Also, 30+ years from now she and others her age may remember the 2014 era CTS or other Cadillacs fondly and seek one out as a collector/classic car the way 50- and 60-somethings today seek out Cadillacs from the 1960s and 1970s.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 28, 2013, 05:27:32 PM
Maybe not, most 20 y/o are not new Cadillac buyers, but perhaps it will be a make/model she will aspire to own someday.  Also, 30+ years from now she and others her age may remember the 2014 era CTS or other Cadillacs fondly and seek one out as a collector/classic car the way 50- and 60-somethings today seek out Cadillacs from the 1960s and 1970s.

That remains to be seen, and I for one, don't think it is going to happen.  I just don't think generations of today, are going to be as nostalgically motivated, as 50 or 60-somethings of today are.

Andrew Armitage

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 28, 2013, 02:24:04 PM

Financing. All you need is good credit.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado

Andrew Armitage

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 28, 2013, 05:37:01 PM
That remains to be seen, and I for one, don't think it is going to happen.  I just don't think generations of today, are going to be as nostalgically motivated, as 50 or 60-somethings of today are.

I agree with you 100%. That's why all businesses need to be responsive to the market. You need to have what people want today. Cadillac is finally getting back to that. That 2014 CTS is slick. 20 years from now, I hope the newest Cadillac turns my head the way the newest one turns my head now.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 28, 2013, 05:37:01 PM

This has often been the view of older generations for, well, generations.  Older people don't always connect with what makes younger generations tick and don't believe younger people will become "nostalgically motivated" later in life and yet they typically do more or less just as much as past generations.   Usually different aspects of or types of music, movies, television shows, cars, etc. but still nostalgic.

Just because younger people today grew up more with iPods instead of Walkmans, CDs instead of 8-tracks, Google News instead of newspapers, Katy Perry instead of Perry Como, Lexuses instead of Oldsmobiles, SUVs/CUVs/mini-vans instead of station wagons, etc. doesn't mean they won't still be nostalgic later in life.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 28, 2013, 08:29:12 PM
This has often been the view of older generations for, well, generations.  Older people don't always connect with what makes younger generations tick and don't believe younger people will become "nostalgically motivated" later in life and yet they typically do more or less just as much as past generations.   Usually different aspects of or types of music, movies, television shows, cars, etc. but still nostalgic.

Just because younger people today grew up more with iPods instead of Walkmans, CDs instead of 8-tracks, Google News instead of newspapers, Katy Perry instead of Perry Como, Lexuses instead of Oldsmobiles, SUVs/CUVs/mini-vans instead of station wagons, etc. doesn't mean they won't still be nostalgic later in life.

All legitimate statements, except when it comes to wanting to relive those memories with having and restoring cars of their youth.  I just don't think that cars are all that important to young people of today.  If anything they might be more prone to restoring trucks of their youth.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Andrew Armitage on March 28, 2013, 06:20:17 PM
Financing. All you need is good credit.

Absolutely true.  So after she gets her own place, computer, cell phone, Internet connection, cable bill etc etc etc, hopefully there is enough in the budget to get that Cadillac.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 28, 2013, 08:55:41 PM
All legitimate statements, except when it comes to wanting to relive those memories with having and restoring cars of their youth.  I just don't think that cars are all that important to young people of today.  If anything they might be more prone to restoring trucks of their youth.

You don't have to have experienced restoring old cars in your youth to feel nostalgic about old cars (which may have been new in your youth) later in life.  Some arguably old school activities are perhaps being replaced with other ways of appreciating and enjoying cars (new and old) but that doesn't necessarily mean overall interest in the classic vehicle hobby is or will be in a down swing.

I guess we'll just have to continue to agree to disagree as I don't want to further derail this 2014 CTS/new Cadillacs topic.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 28, 2013, 09:00:30 PM
Absolutely true.  So after she gets her own place, computer, cell phone, Internet connection, cable bill etc etc etc, hopefully there is enough in the budget to get that Cadillac.

Today's leases allow people to get into Cadillacs and other luxury brands far more cheaply than times past.  Even Cimarrons were leasing in the $600s/month (2013 dollars) back in the 1980s which is more than twice what you can get into a much better 2013 ATS for today.

The cost of televisions, computers, (which are quite cheap today vs. times past), etc. should not be a factor regarding the affordability of a new CADILLAC for the typical Cadillac buyer.   Cadillacs were historically a prestige brand (they're less so today with lower prices, cheap lease deals, etc.) and not something a typical 20 year old could afford at any time in history.  Cadillac and other luxury brand were meant to be aspiration purchases not purchases right out of high school or college.

Teens and 20-somethings being attracted to the brand today is a good sign for future new purchases or eventual nostalgic classic purchases.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 29, 2013, 09:24:17 AM
Today's leases allow people to get into Cadillacs and other luxury brands far more cheaply than times past.  Even Cimarrons were leasing in the $600s/month (2013 dollars) back in the 1980s which is more than twice what you can get into a much better 2013 ATS for today.

The cost of televisions, computers, (which are quite cheap today vs. times past), etc. should not be a factor regarding the affordability of a new CADILLAC for the typical Cadillac buyer.   Cadillacs were historically a prestige brand (they're less so today with lower prices, cheap lease deals, etc.) and not something a typical 20 year old could afford at any time in history.  Cadillac and other luxury brand were meant to be aspiration purchases not purchases right out of high school or college.

Teens and 20-somethings being attracted to the brand today is a good sign for future new purchases or eventual nostalgic classic purchases.

Well stated, and I agree wholeheartedly. I think we can all agree that the purchasing of a new Cadillac today, and the restoration and any preserving of them and all other cars in the future, all comes down to money.

Andrew Armitage

I just met up with a buddy for breakfast and he mentioned to me that he just leased a brand new ATS for $299 / month for his daughter (she's not even 20 I don't think, still at college) because she had to have one of her own after she saw his (his is a more expensive loaded model with a turbo). He felt it was a steal at that price and wanted her to have a dependable car that she'd be proud to drive. So there you have it. If she likes it, Cadillac may have just earned itself a new customer for the next 60 or so years.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado