News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Presidentail

Started by Bill Norris, April 01, 2013, 01:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Smith

The one advantage of having the sedan, is that the front seat has more horizontal movement, while the limo's seat is very limited, and is very uncomfortable for taller chauffeurs.  Of course if one is wealthy enough to afford both a personal limo and driver, the chauffeurs comfort is of little concern.

Speaking of chauffeurs comfort, I believe the use of leather in the drivers seat, is sort of traditional.  I think it started in the days when the drivers compartment was exposed, and leather was more durable to the elements.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Louis Smith on April 03, 2013, 02:54:14 PM
Speaking of chauffeurs comfort, I believe the use of leather in the drivers seat, is sort of traditional.  I think it started in the days when the drivers compartment was exposed, and leather was more durable to the elements.

I agree- the black leather front on limousines was a bow to tradition.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Norris

Ok, I just got back from seeing the car.  It is not a limo. The VIN is M9256987. I would be shocked if there was a nicer original car than this one. It has 32,000 miles on it, and I think the tires are original, but I'm not sure. The leather seats are like brand new. Not a crack anywhere. The original black paint shines like the day it rolled off the line. Not a ding or scratch anywhere.

This was a funeral home car that he would drive the family in. Once they were done, he would wash it, back it into the heated garage and cover it up. Every drive since 1969.

I will have figure out how to upload pictures.

Bill

Bill Norris

Bill Norris

Sorry for the bad pictures. They don't do the car justice. It needs a battery so I couldn't get it out in the light to take pictures. Ain't no way I'm pushing that thing out of the garage either!.

Series75

Great looking Bill.   do yourself a favor and check the perimiter frame on both sides right around where the FLEETWOOD letters are on the front fenders.   I once shopped a simillar car that had similar car and because the owner washed the car, did not take it for a spin before garaging, ended up with a rusted frame, and I mean almost rusted through.   Tom CLC#6866

From the "M" in the VIN it's a Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham- (rear footrests were standard on Brougham).  3x black no less. Best colors for that car. If it's really all original, that's quite a find. Looks beautiful. Even the cadmium plating on the hood hinges looks great. Most of us only dream about finding cars in such a state of original preservation.

**Also check for rust bubbling underneath the vinyl roof. (Vinyl roof was also standard on the Brougham).

Louis Smith

I would think that cars used for funeral service would be very desirable.  Besides seeing limited use, and rarely abused, they usually are given top priority in maintenance and appearance.  No undertaker wants to experience a breakdown, less they run into Robin Williams.

Bill Norris

Next time I stop by,  I will check the frame but I would be shocked if there is an issue there. I knew the owner and he was a fanatic about his cars. I will look though.

It does have the foot rests in the back- that's why the widow called it a 'presidential.' I doesn't have a vinyl roof though. Its all shiny sheet metal.

I'm going to help her get a battery and roll it out to get better pictures. He started it once a month whether he drove it or not, so its supposed to run like a top.

Any idea what this thing would be worth?

Bill

Louis Smith

Quote from: Bill Norris on April 04, 2013, 07:43:42 PM
Next time I stop by,  I will check the frame but I would be shocked if there is an issue there. I knew the owner and he was a fanatic about his cars. I will look though.

It does have the foot rests in the back- that's why the widow called it a 'presidential.' I doesn't have a vinyl roof though. Its all shiny sheet metal.

I'm going to help her get a battery and roll it out to get better pictures. He started it once a month whether he drove it or not, so its supposed to run like a top.

Any idea what this thing would be worth?

Bill

Ah the eternal question "what is it worth".  I can say with complete certainty, it is worth what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to take.  Not trying to be sarcastic, but that is what it really boils down to.  The owners are always trying to get as much as they can, and the buyer is trying to get it as cheap as possible.  You can be sure that once it goes on sale, you will meet prospective buyers that will go over it with a fine tooth comb, and discover things you would never think of.  My best guesstimate would be in the $5,000 - $10,000 range.  If nothing else get a good battery, and take it out for a short "evaluation" run.  Check all options.  Nothing more embarrassing then showing the car and things aren't they way you thought they were.

Bill Norris

Louis,

Thanks for the range. I am a antique Jeep guy, so I am not that familiar with Caddy values.

I want to stick a battery in it just so I can take it for a 'test drive' myself. Its such a magnificent looking car, I'm just dying to see what it drives like.

Thanks also for the suggestion on checking the accessories. I didn't consider that. Good point.

Bill

Quote from: Bill Norris on April 04, 2013, 07:43:42 PM

Bill

That's very interesting it has a painted roof. Does "Brougham" script appear at base of the sail panel of the roof? If so, it sounds like a possible special order delete vinyl roof. Some collectors actually prefer the plain 60 Special for that reason alone. I prefer the steel roof myself, plus being a Brougham makes it the best of both worlds.

OCPG gives the following values for the 1969 Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham: #1 $16,500; #2 11,550; #3 $7,430. Should be worth an extra premium for being 3x black + original. Is the paint showing any signs of cracking? Also check the lower rocker panels especially bottom of front fenders for signs of rust repair/bubbling as it was very common for rust to develop there. Lower rear quarter panels as well and bottom seams of doors. If all those areas are still excellent original with no signs of ever having been repaired, it sounds like a one-in-a-million find.

Walter Youshock

I don't think that's a Brougham.  I think it's a standard 60 Special that they added footrests to.  The Brougham should have map pockets on the back of the front seat as well as the vinyl top.

As for funeral home cars--I can attest to this--yes, they are well taken care of--cleaned religiously, garaged and serviced.  BUT, they were rarely driven like a Cadillac was meant to be driven.  The proverbial "little-old-lady" car that never went above 40 mph or ran longer than an hour at a time.  We replaced 2 gas tanks in a hearse because it just sat around which then fouled the carb.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Big Apple Caddy

If a non-Brougham, although less expensive when new, it can be worth as much or more than the Brougham due to much fewer having been made.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 05, 2013, 09:33:58 AM
I don't think that's a Brougham.  I think it's a standard 60 Special that they added footrests to.  The Brougham should have map pockets on the back of the front seat as well as the vinyl top.

As for funeral home cars--I can attest to this--yes, they are well taken care of--cleaned religiously, garaged and serviced.  BUT, they were rarely driven like a Cadillac was meant to be driven.  The proverbial "little-old-lady" car that never went above 40 mph or ran longer than an hour at a time.  We replaced 2 gas tanks in a hearse because it just sat around which then fouled the carb.

Good point.  Very true that "professional" type vehicles, such as hearses, detective cars etc., while seeing limited duty, can be a double edged sword with different type of problems, such as you mentioned with the gas tanks.

There were no map pockets on the '69 Brougham. Also this car has Brougham style seats. 

Any value differential may also be due to the steel top preference.  FWIW: Value guides give the Brougham a slight edge over the plain 60 Special. 

Bill Norris

Granted I was in a garage when I looked at it, I really don't think there is any cracked paint any where on it. I did not see any bubbling either. In the off chance it has been repaired, he would have had the Cadillac dealer do it. I remember him telling me he bought a gallon of paint from the dealer when he bought the car just in case to make sure the color matched. He said he never had to open it.

I think I saw Brougham on the sail panel, but I might be mistaken. Unfortunately, did not take any pictures of the back of it.

I am going to call her tonight and see if I can drop a battery in it and pull it out. My other fear is that because her husband died three years ago, there might be varnish instead of gasoline. Hopefully, he ran it dry before he parked it the last time.

Bill

pinkcaddy96

Congratulations!  Another classic find.   Thanks for sharing.

Dan LeBlanc

Definitely a nice car.  Triple black and original - might be a car for you Eric!  8)
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on April 05, 2013, 11:42:09 AM
Definitely a nice car.  Triple black and original - might be a car for you Eric!  8)

If had two less doors and was 10 years older, you bet!!

Heck, I'd even overlook the 4 door part if I could still have it be 10 years older.  ;D