News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CADILLAC TH400 MODIFIED FOR 1949-64 CADILLAC INSTALLATION

Started by cwiaa, July 20, 2013, 12:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwiaa

This set up is NOT for those wanting to keep their car stock…..it is for a person wanting to install a 1955-64 engine in an earlier car OR change a later car (1955-63) to the reliable TH400. Up for sale is a 1964 Cadillac TH400 transmission that has been modified with a later extended tail shaft. I had this transmission inspected, resealed and added the extention for mounting behind a 1962 Cadillac 390 I was installing in my 1949 Cadillac. I have the factory adapter plate that will allow mating this transmission to 1955-1964 Cadillac engine blocks. The picture shows this transmission mounted to a 1955 block for mock up into my 1949 frame. Included with the transmission is the adapter plate, flywheel (64), sheet metal/cover and 1964 starter. With the transmission extension the end of the transmission falls very close to where the original cast iron hydramatic did, see photos.  The transmission was professionally modified inspected and resealed by a local transmission shop. Please call with any questions W. Iffland @ 1-209-545-1436, if no answer please leave message I will return your call. Price $750.00. Local pick up in Modesto, CA .....all pallet/shipping charges are additional.
Will 
CLC # 20985

Jason Edge

Beyond physically matting the Turbo Hydramatic (THM) up to a 1964 and prior engine block, you will have a laundry list of things that need to be addressed including but not limited to: THM had the electric kick-down switch mounted to carb, and the vacuum line to vacuum modulator regulating shifting, while the HM instead used the TV rod; shift quadrant in instrument cluster will be different (PRNDL vs PND..LR), Yaw Mount/cross-member different; neutral safety switch is different due to new PRNDL shift pattern of the THM.

Also for 1964 the THM had a flex plate with 3" opening for crank end while the 1963/1964 HM equipped engines had a 3 3/16" raised area. I am assuming you are using the 1964 flexplate and have enlarged the opening...which of course has to be perfect fit and perfect center or they will rip out.  Not trying to nit pick but there are things to consider. The THM 400 was a great transmission but nothing wrong with the HM either.

Your price seems very reasonable and those 1964 adaptor rings to allow the "Buick Borrowed" THM to mate to the back of the 1964 429 is in high demand and that piece alone commands $100, $200 and up.

For more details on 63/64 Cadillac Engines and considerations on swapping transmissions check out this link:
http://6364cadillac.ning.com/profiles/blogs/enginesandtransmissions

Also feel free to post your goodies for sale on our 63/64 site: www.6364cadillac.com

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cwiaa

Thanks for the comments. I was aware of the issues in performing a swap to the TH400. My thoughts were about the reliability and cost advantages with the 400 as the engine was modified (mild) and would produce more power/torque. I have two flex plates and they are NOT modified. To resolve this you can either machine the crankshaft lip (if rebuilding) or machine the flexplate centers as you mentioned........I would have a machine shop do this. The other issues will depend on just what component configuration the car is running.
This set up would physically fit well into a early x frame Cadillac if choosing to use a later 1955-62 engine.....that was my plan for my 49 CDV. For the record, I decided on a 700r using a Wilcap adapter. I paid a lot more money for the OD and time will tell if it was worth it? The TH400 fit well, is almost bullet proof, parts are available and affordable. Thanks again.
Will 
CLC # 20985

n2caddies

Since we are talking about hot rods there are after market NSS from either Lokar or Dakota Digital that install on the TH350 and 400 transmission at  the shift linkages that work very well.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

garyrouse

Did you finish the 700r4 / wilcap install?  How did it work out. Thinking about same route w my 49   I have a 1960 390 to put in w the trans.