News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Hubcap needed

Started by Rod Dahlgren #19496, September 02, 2013, 07:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Just got a call from one of the guys with a 41 sedan. He just put the engine in it that I built for him and lost a hubcap on the test run. So- He needs a decent driver quality cap. Full size cap, not the small one. Any help? He says he will buy a couple just to have a spare.
YES, the 346 runs great. He says he never remembers the old engine ever running this smooth and having nice power.
Rod 19496
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Bob Schuman

Failure of the 1941-1946 style large wheel disc to stay in place may be due to the car having one or more wheels that were originally for 1948 and later cars. The 1941-47 wheels for cars with 15 inch tires were 5-1/2 inches wide, and the 48-55 wheels look virtually identical, but were 6 inches wide. If a pre-1948 large wheel disc is put on a later wheel, it may seem to snap on okay, but will not fully engage the spring clips, and may be easily lost.
I have known of 1941 cars believed to be original, that were found to have the later 6 inch wheels, possibly due to a long-ago accident, and unavailability of the 5-1/2 inch wheels. Dealing with old cars, there are often surprises about what and why something was done years ago.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

gary griffin

Rod,

Jeff is correct the caps measure about 1 inch smaller than the wheels but you did not mention the model of the sedan.

Some sedans (67 series and 75 series come to mind) take 16 inch wheels.

The early 70's trucks took 16.5 inch wheels and after a while 16 inch tires were impossible to find because everyone was buying 16.5's. At that time there was no real value to old Cadillac s especially keeping them original and many were converted to 15 inch wheels and tires. I found 16 inch very hard to find when I was restoring my 1942 6719 but finally found a few. Just a little FYI in case .
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver