News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Barn find 53 Eldo

Started by Quentin Hall, August 30, 2014, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

I swear. If Allen Funt doesn't hurry up and come round the corner and say "Smile Quentin, you're on Candid Camera". . . Then I'm afraid I've been breathing too much 2pak thinner and have hallucinated all of this.
Thankfully the hands on resto guys , who i foolishly thought made up the greater proportion of this hobby, must be  too busy restoring away in their sheds to have read any of this utter nonsense.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 03, 2014, 11:25:04 AM
I swear. If Allen Funt doesn't hurry up and come round the corner and say "Smile Quentin, you're on Candid Camera". . . Then I'm afraid I've been breathing too much 2pak thinner and have hallucinated all of this.
Thankfully the hands on resto guys , who i foolishly thought made up the greater proportion of this hobby, must be  too busy restoring away in their sheds to have read any of this utter nonsense.

It can't be that much nonsense as you seem to be stirring the pot more than most.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quentin Hall

No matter how hard I stir the pot, good taste seems to be the one ingredient that is lacking.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 03, 2014, 12:01:30 PM
No matter how hard I stir the pot, good taste seems to be the one ingredient that is lacking.

If you think it's all nonsense to be having this discussion, that the pot lacks the main ingredient of good taste, why do you continue to stir the pot?  Adding more salt to what's in the pot is not going to make it taste any better.
Dan LeBlanc

INTMD8

A question for those who think it's way overpriced.

What do you think the correct value is?

Dan LeBlanc

As I see it, there is nothing left that can be reused on this car that will not need reconditioning in some way, shape, or form.  Every square inch will need to be gone over to make it a #1.

I'm also not debating what the car is and what needs to be done with it.  I'm debating the bids it received versus the actual value of the car.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: 49er on September 03, 2014, 12:22:36 PM
Cause he has superior intelect Dan, didnt you realize this. He the first to call for, we should read the rules, yet he's the first to make it personnel.

Ah yes, but Art, my friend, if someone is going to make it personal, they should at least get their facts straight.

I have a 61 Fleetwood Sixty Special, not a 61 Series 62 convertible.

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 03, 2014, 08:33:04 AM
Hey Dan, with all due respect, and no disrespect intended to 61 series 62 conv owners; but there is a bit of a stretch compare apples with a 53 Eldo. Either your Panama hat is too small or your long white socks too tight. Either way the blood supply to your head isn't  getting full flow.

I also don't wear panama hats and long white socks.
Dan LeBlanc

wrefakis

why does anyone care what it brings?
in 1982 people thought I was nuts for paying 15,000 for a 1970 Cad
this car is worth what someone will pay, period.
it is a rare unrestored car
and if it sells for 65,000 real $$$$, then that is what it is worth.

Dan LeBlanc

Rare.  Yes. Unrestored.  Yes.  Does that make it justifiable to pay $60,000 for a $30,000 car?  I'm only throwing those figures out there for illustrative purposes and that is not what I think the car is worth.

At the end of the day, no matter how much money you have, you can't think with your dink.  Start thinking like that and before long, all you'll have left is your dink that you'll need to sell to buy your next sausage.
Dan LeBlanc

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 03, 2014, 12:01:30 PM

Pompous ass.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrefakis

why is gold 1200 per ounce?
why is apple a 600 billion $$ company?

again, you and I may not see 60k here, but you must respect the market, and if 60 is paid, then how can you contest the value?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: wrefakis on September 03, 2014, 01:22:53 PM
why is gold 1200 per ounce?
why is apple a 600 billion $$ company?

again, you and I may not see 60k here, but you must respect the market, and if 60 is paid, then how can you contest the value?

Correct.

However there is also such a thing as what former FED Chairman, Alan Greenspan once termed "irrational exuberance".

Whether it applies in this case is difficult to say.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Insert "beating a dead horse" emoticon.  To the administrators --- please lock this thread and any restarts of it.  This subject has gone on to the way past ridiculous with the same arguments being made over and over, the only difference being different words are  used to say the same thing.  This is one of two current threads that have gone way past their usefulness and this one at least is slowly moving toward the insult stage.  Reminds me of an argument over politics.  Everything that needs to be said has been said several pages ago and everyone has had ample opportunity to take a shot at it if they wanted to take the shot.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

wrefakis

if the BUYER thinks its worth X and pays his $$$

then he is MAKING A MARKET

you and I are COMMENTING on the state of the market

I must defer to the market maker

chrisntam

We're about to find out what the value of a #5 '53 eldo is.

And if it sells for a high amount, isn't that good for those that have a car like that?  I'd say yes.  Maybe that high value will trickle down to my '70.   :o
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Bill Refakis is 100 percent correct.
I don't recall anyone saying that $60,000 was a good deal.

But is it up to the buyer and seller to agree on and transact.

I'm amazed at the animosity this discussion has generated.

Lets talk about something less controversial like Obamacare.

Lol

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

wrefakis

Never will I presume to tell someone how to spend their money.

If a buyer pays it, then it was worth it   TO HIM!

and at the end of the day, that is all that matters!

INTMD8

I don't think that profitability should be the only factor but it was said a few pages ago that a very nice 53 Eldo sold for 300k last year (and some more).

Is it fair to say that there is the potential for this car to sell for 300k+ if completed to a high level?

If it's purchased for 75k will it take 225k to restore? Probably yes if paying a shop but I don't think it would come anywhere close to that figure for someone that is doing most of the work on their own.

If I wasn't knee deep in Brougham parts I would seriously consider buying this car.

I love how Art thinks it's nothing but junk. Even if the car was just a 53 Series 62 convertible it would be worth fixing.

Someone fixed this car with all nos metal. Makes the eldo look like a dream.  ;D

sding

Quote from: sding on September 02, 2014, 09:45:38 PM
Well, Art thinks I don't like, can't make money so. "burn it to the GROUND" So sad :(
Now Art is calling in AIRSTRIKES! very sad :(

INTMD8

Quote from: George K Hashem on September 03, 2014, 02:19:03 PM
So Jim is that your work?

Nice.

Oh no, I am not that brave! But I would take on the Eldo  ;D

I guess it's all a matter of prospective. I'll have a ton of cash in my Brougham and what it's worth in the end has no bearing because it's not and will never be for sale. 

Even a lot of restored cars that are considered near perfect I spot things I would have done differently or maybe I wanted different colors/etc. This is the opportunity to build a 53 Eldo exactly how you want it. And I don't even mean deviating from original as everyone's interpretation as such can be slightly different, or executed in a different manner.