News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does anyone else drive their classic Cadillac as thair daily driver?

Started by Bill Young, December 04, 2014, 08:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 05, 2014, 05:40:21 PM
The Park Avenue appeared in 62 - it was the deVille with the shirt deck. The Town Sedan was the Series 62 version I believe.

Dan, I recently discovered the '61 Town Sedan actually was appointed like a DeVille; in '62 the Town Sedan became the Series 62 version short deck while the Park Avenue was the DeVille version.

Only the Park Ave remained in '63 which was abruptly terminated sometime midyear - or so I read.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

James Landi

I owned two 1956 "short deck" models in the 1960's through the late 70's.  The truck was (visually) shorter than all the other models.  When "Self Starter" highlighted the 1956 model year, my model cars were not included in any of the extensive pictures (am I mistaken??).  I have the impression that this short body style was more of an entry level, less expensive model, and a marketing ploy for city drivers... Did I pick up the "Park Avenue" brand from the later model years?  Is my perception that my two four door sedans were, in fact, the same dimensions as all the other models for the '56???

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

When I get this engine in, I plan to drive it more often.  Of course, getting into winter here so I won't drive in the salt.  However last year there was one surprise snow and the roads weren't salted yet.  I took my son out in it and let him feel when a car starts to get away from you.  You can turn the traction control off in a newer car, but not the ABS.  I think it is important for a new driver to get the feel of when a car starts to get away from you when you can still recover from it, and I was able to do that with the Caddy.  Now I will say that when I "taught" him the at of doing a doughnut, that thing would really go around in a hurry.  Long wheelbase and plenty of power.  At first his eyes were as big as the steering wheel, but soon it was his grin!
With that being said, when I was in high school I drove an old clunker.  Every time it broke, I panicked because it was only me and I had no $$.  Now if this breaks, I have a Honda to drive around.  I still plan on the Honda on a daily basis, but I plan on the Caddy a lot more come spring.
I have my insurance thru State Farm (no comments).  It is reasonable and I can drive it up to 7500 miles per year.  We have another car for my son, but State Farm has him insured on the Caddy because it is cheaper-- Go figure.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jay Friedman

Jeff,

I have a question about your insurance with State Farm, with whom my family's modern cars are insured.  I drive my '49 Cadillac often and  asked our local State Farm agent about also insuring with them.  (It's currently with Hagerty which has liberal driving limits.)  He told me that their agreed value insurance for old cars limited the driving but he didn't know the details.  Since in my experience sales people for agreed value insurance (whatever the company) frequently state verbally in general terms that the driving limitations are more liberal than their policies specifically say in writing, I asked him if he could supply me with a copy of their agreed value policy so I could have a look.  He never replied so I assume he felt that I wouldn't be please with the response. 

My question is what exactly does the State Farm policy for your Cadillac say?  Is it stated value?  Does the 7,500 miles limit include "pleasure driving" or is it only for club activities, car shows, parades, etc?  Thanks,

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

cadillacmike68

I like to use my 68 on a regular, but not daily basis.

The problem I'm running into now, is that the complex accessories, primarily the Climate Control  keep find new way to vex me.

Right now the compressor clutch is not reliably engaging.(wiring or crazy 1968 spring loaded points type contact switches issue), and the disc rotors are developing bad outside hubs.

And the PS, Trans and engine are finding new ways to leak out on my garage floor.

So, yes, sometimes, but not always.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

R Schroeder

I for one would love to drive mine daily in the summer, but insurance rules wont let me put on a lot of miles.
You either have regular insurance , and can drive it a lot , with no coverage on the loss of the car.
OR, you have the car covered for the loss, and limited driving.
They got you coming and going..........ha
Roy

James Landi

We ultimately have to weigh the consequences of having nothing but liability insurance and then "self insure" for the possibility of a total loss of the vehicle. My approach has been to keep my "daily drivers" looking good, out of harsh weather, and maintain them in good repair.  When I owned a couple of "garage queens," I felt that I did not really own them, I was a caretaker... so I felt that any driving and running up the miles depreciated their ultimate value.  I sold them, and felt relieved of that responsibility.  Clearly, there are other visions of how to approach this... interesting conversation.

Bill Young

This is interesting. I bought a 1978 Coupe DeVille with 14,000 original miles some Years ago and drove it as a daily driver. I had conventional Insurance but I had " agreed upon value" for the collision portion. This was accomplished by me paying for a professional written appraisal that included photos all sent to the insurance company. After about a year went by I was hit in a not at fault by me collision , The insurance company purchased a '78 Coupe DeVille Texas no rust wreck and paid to have my Car repaired like new. It all worked out OK and eventually I sold the Car in August 2008.

R Schroeder

I would love to know of any insurance company that would give an AGREED VALUE , without limits on driving it.
Most I ran into around here all would write it up as STATED VALUE, which isn't worth the ink its written with.
Roy

62 driver

Purchased my 62 with the daily driver idea.  I love seeing old cars on the road and think other would as well. It put a smile on my face all day.  So if I am forced to drive to work once a week I can at least be happy driving to and from work.  My wife says I should paint the car and remove the waves in the door.  I have not because I don't want to be afraid to put it in the employees lot. Door dings happen.  And when I died my son will get my car.  But not the one that has a nice 61 but the one that has never had much interest in old cars. You as why?  Because in my mind it will the two something to talk about.   8)
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Well, hopefully I will never find out.  But my policy is limited to 7500 miles/year and had an agreed upon value.  The bill comes with the value on it. 
Again, hopefully I will never find out, but at least it would give me a fighting point with them if anything did happen.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bill Young

I want to thank the Members who have responded and discussed this Insurance issue here. As a result I have switched my Car Insurance for My '72 Eldo from J.C. Taylor to My Liberty policy. The Liberty representative said that J.C. Taylor would have a fit if they knew I was using My Car as a daily driver and there could be wording in the body of the Policy stating that they will not cover me in an accident if I am not going or returning from a show or parade or a public event. She said Liberty did not have agreed upon value anymore but rather estimated loss value based on NADA classic car values based on region of the Country You live in. I can live with that. My knowlege was out of date and I don't want to defraud anybody.

TJ Hopland

I know a guy that was injured while on foot (basically run over) by a 'classic' car with 'classic' insurance.   Last I heard he still has not seen any money because it was a weekday and the accident happened in a fast food drive through a block from the drivers work where he was still clocked in.   Sounds like it may have worked out for the driver because other than a little blood it really didn't hurt the car.   I don't know all the details because obviously its not a fun subject to bring up for the guy that was still in a wheelchair last I saw him.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

STATE FARM sounds pretty much like HAGERTY. Limited driving. They don't mention anything about agreed value in the ad.
Roy

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/antique-classic-cars

chrisntam

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 09, 2014, 08:51:53 PM
I know a guy that was injured while on foot (basically run over) by a 'classic' car with 'classic' insurance.   Last I heard he still has not seen any money because it was a weekday and the accident happened in a fast food drive through a block from the drivers work where he was still clocked in.   Sounds like it may have worked out for the driver because other than a little blood it really didn't hurt the car.   I don't know all the details because obviously its not a fun subject to bring up for the guy that was still in a wheelchair last I saw him.   

Seems like the guy in the wheelchair needs a better lawyer, or else he'd own that classic car and a wad of cash the driver would have to pay him out of his own pocket.  There must be more to the story..........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Glen

I have to agree with Chris.  Many people forget that the insurance company is not liable in case of an accident.  The owner/driver is liable and his insurance company is under contract to pay that liability under the terms of that contract (AKA the policy). 

Never accept any money from the insurance company unless the amount will fully satisfy the claim.  You will need to sign for that money and they will have wording in the paper you sign that says you will not pursue the claim any more. 

I’m not a lawyer just experienced. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Quote from: chrisntam on December 09, 2014, 11:02:29 PM
Seems like the guy in the wheelchair needs a better lawyer, or else he'd own that classic car and a wad of cash the driver would have to pay him out of his own pocket.  There must be more to the story..........

I'm sure there is a lot more to that story but I know part of it was to do with the car not being used within the limits of the policy.  There was something weird that would have made it easier if there was simply no insurance but because it was miss use it got things into a whole new category.  There was also something since it didn't happen on a public street that changed things.   If it was a public street he would have got a ticket for not having proper registration which then would have changed things from the legal standpoint.  The car had classic plates on it which required classic insurance.  Apparently if the insurance is void because of use the registration becomes void and vice versa.  Each is depended on the other being properly used.   It all makes no sense if you think of it logically but its a legal thing. 

Up till recently I had regular plates and insurance on all my stuff.  A few years ago I did switch to Hagarty for my 73 but still have the regular plates.   I asked them (an all the other companies I talked to) about the classic plates and some did require them.  Hagarty said the did at one time but quit because the rules of those plates varied too much state to state so it was difficult on their end.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jay Friedman

I live in Georgia where as far as I can figure out "antique" license plates (called "tags" in the south) do not have any particular legal status compared to regular plates.  They are not required by antique car insurance companies and the state imposes no restrictions on driving a car that has them.  They are just ordinary plates that have on them a drawing of what looks like a Model T  and the words "Hobby Antique".  Until a few years ago, an owner of a Georgia car older than 25 years could elect to have antique plates on the car without paying extra for them.  I had them on my '32 Ford but chose to have regular plates on my '49 Cadillac. 

In 2012 or so the state changed the system, so now you must pay a one time "manufacturing fee" of $25, then an annual "special tag fee" of $35 to have antique plates.  The first year this was so, when I went to renew my plates I told the clerk I'd prefer a regular plate for my '32 Ford.  She said that was OK and said to me in a low voice that she didn't understand why anyone would want to pay $60 extra to have antique plates "when all you have to do is look at the car to see it's an antique".  Nowadays you there are fewer old cars in Georgia with antique plates.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bcroe

I drive late 70s cars only, coast to coast.  Down to around 16,000 miles a year since
retirement, gradually tapering down from a high of 40,000.  Of course these are
much more road capable than earlier cars (drove them too), with electronic ignition,
unleaded fuel engines, radial tires, TH400 trans, dual circuit brakes, and discs up front. 

The RWD are for good weather; the FWD Eldo is for snow, etc. 

Of course they are licensed as regular cars.  As for insurance I carry no collision, which
has saved me a FORTUNE over the decades.  Easily enough to replace a couple of my
rather low value cars if needed.  And no hassle with an insurance co; if something needs
fixing, I just fix it as I see fit. 

As for the new cars, they will not be collectable.  Their complexity, esp the electronics,
will make them unrepairable when they are as old as my cars. This bumper sticker is
on my 77.  Bruce Roe

Coupe Deville

-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"