News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'59 Biarritz: are we really up there now?

Started by Blade, July 26, 2015, 01:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If such as thing exists as a frame off '50s car that performs in all ways as it did when new, I'd love to see it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

I know exactly what Eric is talking about.

A low mileage original that has been proper maintained has a better feel to it than a body off restoration in most cases. If the car was redone by an expert on that particular car it may come close.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rwchatham CLC 21892

Bill, I was not vouching for the restoration on this particular car , only glanced at the pics of it. I was only stating about the structural integrity of the car being compromised simply because the body was removed from the frame which I think is incorrect . I think it is wrong to say a restored car would never perform as a factory build would  just because it is a restored car without actually driving the car in question. I believe the body being mated to the frame can be duplicated as long as the 10000 other details in the restoration are followed .  I believe restored and unrestored cars can be great driving cars or bad driving cars, just depends on the particular car.
R. Waligora

76eldo

I think what Eric meant is that an original low mileage car can't be duplicated.  Let's face it, most body off restored cars of this vintage are never 100 correct or have the same feel as an original.

The structural integrity as far as door gaps and hood and trunk adjustment and getting the car back together to appear perfect is attainable.  I'd take a true survivor time warp car any day over one that been "fully restored" and has been off of the frame.

Just like cars with springs replaced.  Do they ever sit correctly?  No.  I'm keeping my saggy low rider springs on my 60 for a while longer.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rwchatham CLC 21892

Brian, dont say low rider springs or we will have to put you in the modified group. LOL
R. Waligora

Quote from: 76eldo on July 28, 2015, 03:33:43 PM
I think what Eric meant is that an original low mileage car can't be duplicated.  Let's face it, most body off restored cars of this vintage are never 100 correct or have the same feel as an original.

I'd take a true survivor time warp car any day over one that been "fully restored" and has been off of the frame.

Brian

Amen.

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on July 28, 2015, 03:54:42 PM
Brian, dont say low rider springs or we will have to put you in the modified group. LOL

I color keyed an extra set of '59 hubcaps so I guess I'm a modifier too.  ::)

rwchatham CLC 21892

I color keyed an extra set of '59 hubcaps so I guess I'm a modifier too.  ::)

Sounds like a new chapter, modified originals, just kidding.

R. Waligora

76eldo

I now have white color keyed hubcaps on my 60 but they are shown in the saleman's data book.
White or black rings or satin chrome is correct.

By the way it rides low.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

Brian. You may want to get in touch with Coil Spring Specialties as Mike Cascio did with his 62. His springs had been replaced at one point. The car didn't sit right or ride as it should. In fact, most aftermarket springs for 61/62, for example, are made to the Series 75 specs.

They made him coil springs based on the published spring rates in the FSM for a 62 CdV with a/c. Not only does the car sit correctly, it rides as it should. Better than my 61 Fleetwood, actually as 1962 springs are softer than 61.

You may want to consider them for your 60.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Blade

Brian: if your springs are gone that far I agree with Dan it's probably just time to have them replaced. You can still stay with originals (as I do with most things) and from time to time those do show up on the internet, but if you keep something that's gone so far you're compromising your drivability and safety on the road .... just not worth it at that point.

My 2 pennies ...

INTMD8

Other than a few incorrect/missing details, probably some of the nicest work I have seen. That being said, I'm sure some would prefer original finishes on everything rather than high gloss.

Would love to have it but it doesn't get my blood pumping as much as a low mileage survivor. No matter as I'm only about half a million short at the moment  >:D

76eldo

It sits a bit low, I think if you look at the rear hubcaps you should see a bit more of the cap, but it rides great.

Springs are on the back burner for now.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Karkrazy

I don't think they are up there.. I feel the glass looks funny to me..  no basic tint but shaded windshield, clear side glass?  I'm sure tons has been spent on her, I wonder if the correct two grains were used in the interior leather.selections ?

It just doesn't have that "IT" factor  for me..even if I wanted one. I'm not fond of the colors .. It doesn't sing in this combo..I like it on a Riv but a 59 Eldo? Maybe a 60 Seville .. Msybe the correct glass would warm it up..?   Oh well, I'm not buying it so it doesn't matter.. Good luck getting that price for it!
Likely some of you own my former cars.. I had many, many Cads as well as other luxury makes over the years.
Currently have no collector cars right now, but looking..if you have something give me a try.

wrefakis

real world 495 for a car with every detail possible incorrect?
all original black with red at barrett for over 200 no such car,it was a restored car that I owned and sold to person who restored it nothing on the car was original

here is fact look at super nice Persian ac documented car that ran at mecum just now, no bid past 85 and they gave up trying at 110 to the soda machine, any of you guys familiar with auctions know what I mean

so fans I ask 495 or 85 with no $$ anywhere ?

I don't think that car in Mecum Harrisburg this week is anything to write home about -

Incorrect aftermarket spotlights, wrong tires, chrome taillight bullets; front and rear grilles appear to have been buzz-bombed with silver paint rather than correctly anodized. And that's just from a few basic pics that don't reveal very much.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/PA0715-221039/0/1959-Cadillac-Eldorado-Biarritz-Convertible/

A "real" one would have done a lot more. As I said, the "dumb money" has left the hobby. Real cars still ring the bell - like the black & white Biarritz in Philly.

EDIT: Just noticed the vent window switch plate looks like partly sticking out on the right side  - not sitting flat against the door panel.

wrefakis

No.

My buddies there said the Biarritz bid to $110K unsold; takes $160K.

Maybe the soda machine - IDK.

wrefakis

I looked at the black car top to bottom, very untouched car that was complete with so so trim  cracking and old bondo on both sides, but a great driver, and the right one to do.

I watched the auction live, been doing auctions over 40 years, I doubt there was any $ on the car, period

But what the heck, buy from the self starter after the entire world passed including me for 90, dip it quick get 160, are you hiring?

If I could afford to hire you Bill, I WOULD!  8)  ;D

**Meanwhile Superman Mikey C is coming up today - and if all goes well, I will have ice-cold AC in my '59 Coupe for my birthday which is tomorrow.**

wrefakis