News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New key for '47 Cadillac --New Request for Info

Started by bill_boos, February 07, 2020, 05:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill_boos

I have only one badly worn key that works in the ignition but is hard to turn and remove from trunk. The original looking Briggs Stratton GM Corp still has the punchout  code piece (xxxx). Is there an online source for new keys that can be cut using the code? Thanks
2013 SL 550
2006 Bentley GT Continental
2003 CL 600
1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet
1949 Cadillac Sedan (sold years ago)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1947 Cadillac Sedanette (Just Bought Oct 2019)

Cadman-iac

Bill,
With that code you can go to any reputable locksmith shop and have a key made for a few bucks. They may even have some of the old style key blanks in stock.
That is a 6 cut key, meaning that
with a hand held cutter like we used at the dealership,  it takes six preset cuts to knock out a new key for you.
That code shouldn't be advertised as it's the key to your car.  I would remove it from your post as soon as you can.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

bill_boos

Does anyone know what the original key for a 1947 Cadillac looks like. I found one on ebay that says it is original for 1947:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=383136755372&category=140706&pm=1&ds=0&t=1581138336862

However, my current key looks like this one except it says GM Corp on one side and Briggs Stratton on the other . It is stamped with the 4 digit key code.
I just want to get spare keys as I only have one badly worn key and don't want to just duplicate it as I would then have an exact duplicate of another badly worn key. It operates the ignition but can be removed while still in the "ON" position. It will unlock the trunk but is very hard to remove. I think the trunk key was a different key. Don't know the history of locks being changed or if locks are worn like the key.  So long as I'm getting new keys, I thought I should try to get authentic blanks

Does anyone have knowledge of proper key(s) look and which ones fit where. I contacted Jessers at Glen's suggestion but am also looking for first hand knowledge from gurus on the forum.

Thanks, Bill

2013 SL 550
2003 CL 600

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: bill_boos on February 08, 2020, 03:53:12 PM
However, my current key ... says GM Corp on one side and Briggs Stratton on the other . It is stamped with the 4 digit key code.

Bill, you've partially answered your own question as to what your original keys look like.   :)

There are actually two keys for your car:  one for the ignition switch and doors, the other for the trunk and glove box.  Each key has a different shaped head.  See the three attached photos.  The first two photos are the original keys for my '42, which would be similar, if not identical, to your '47.  The key on the left in the first two photos has an octagonal shaped head and works the ignition and door locks.  The key on the right in the first two photos with the somewhat round-shaped head is for the trunk and glove box locks.  You can see, for the most part, how the keys are worded.

The bottom photo is the closest match to the original keys I've been able to find.  The other side of each key in the bottom photo that you don't see mirrors the opposite key (GM on one side, Briggs and Stratton on the other).

Hope you find this helpful!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

bill_boos

Thanks, Jeff. Here is the front and back of my single key

09-Feb-2019, 6:09 PM EST:  edited by Hansen to alter photo of key with exposed key code - code removed.
2013 SL 550
2003 CL 600

Jeff Hansen

The back of your key is interesting, Bill.  Those initials could be most anything from the original owner's initials to ??? 

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jeff Hansen

Bill,

I took the liberty of doctoring the photo of your key with the exposed code.  I removed the code from the photo and inserted the updated photo.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

bill_boos

Owner's initials is what I thought, too. I Googled RPD General Motors and found Rochester Products Division of General Motors, an early (1929) maker of ignition systems, locks and keys and carburetors among other things. I may have an original 73 year old key -- no wonder it is worn!
2013 SL 550
2003 CL 600

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I guess I don't understand this worry about key codes.  This started for me when GM started whiting out the key codes on the invoices.  Turning a simple job for a locksmith to a hard job.  In the world of thieves if you are going to steal a 47 Cadillac the first thing you would worry about is getting the key code, going to a rare locksmith who can translate the key code to the six cuts required and then finding the car that the key goes with.  Another choice would be find the car, get the serial number and then send $50 dollars to GM to get the invoice with the key code. How about just hot wire the car in less time than it takes to type out this.  For a high end thief use a flat bed truck or a trailer.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bobby B

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on February 08, 2020, 08:10:12 PM
How about just hot wire the car in less time than it takes to type out this....... 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Correct!
Must be the over 50-70 year old crowd that's into stuff like this?
                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TonyZappone #2624

Rochester Products manufactured keys for GM for many years.  When they stopped making the keys, I think in the '60s sometime, barrels of the old brass chrome plated keys were scrapped
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If you want the original type key(s) contact Mulhaupts in Lafayette, IN. When you call,mention my name and that I was a good friend to Harold and know the current owner, Mike Gibson well. They should be able to provide you with keys that work in the original  Briggs & Stratton styles as long as you have the correct codes. They are a business that has passed the century mark. (Ask, and if they have run out of original blanks they will tell you.) They will also treat you like a customer that walks in the door. In other words, they will probably be cheaper than a "Hobby" supplier.

Also, the fact that you can take the key out when the car is running isn't unusual. As I recall, that's the way it should work. If you don't have the code for the trunk/glove box, you will have to take the glove box lock off and send it to a locksmith. There is not going to be a magic place on the Web to do this. Mulhaupts can cut a key by using the lock but it will be more expensive to get done. Do not try to use "another" glove box lock as then the trunk lock will still be different. Good luck.

For the present, I would leave the trunk unlocked. That heavy lid isn't going anywhere.  The fact that your ignition key "works" in it is pure dumb luck. Keep using it and you may mess up the ignition on the car. I would suggest taking care of this in two steps. First, call a locksmith with the codes and have them mail you the ignition key. Then you can see about doing the other one.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bill_boos

Barry, thanks for the thorough reply.  I'll email Mulhaupts to see if they have the right key blanks. I ordered a set on ebay that are made by Strattec, a successor to Briggs and Stratton and licensed by GM.
They only had one set and I need multiple. I have a local locksmith who can cut the ignition key to the code on my worn original. I'll pull the glove box lock -- maybe there is a code stamped on the lock. I want to be able to lock the trunk to keep the loose handle vertical and avoid a rattle. Perhaps there is a bolt I can tighten. Same problem with door handles and detent not holding door open. These are minor problems with an otherwise solid car.

Learned more about keys over the past week than I ever needed to know!
2013 SL 550
2003 CL 600

goob

You might consider taking your trunk lock out and having a key made for it.. I've had keys made for the glove box and they did not work in the trunk...

MichaelHarley

Where can i get a new key for the trunk, is visiting a local locksmith near me a good deal or dealer is the suitable option?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jeff failed to mention that the 1941 (and possibly 1938-40) 60S had a completely different head on them. Jeff got mine when he bought my car.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TonyZappone #2624

As I recall, only the ignition key had the Oak Leaf head.  I paid $75 for a new one of those
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Bob Schuman

Barry, Would Mulhaupts possibly have the oak leaf blank key for the 41-60S? I have only seen pictures, never found one for the 41-60S I had a few years ago, and neither did Bill Podany, the previous owner of my former car. If  Mulhaupts would have any blanks, I'm sure many 41-60S owners would love to get a correct key.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jeff Hansen

Yes, the leaf-shaped key is for the ignition and doors only. 

According to my 1942 Master Parts Book the key was used on:

• 1938 60S
  • 1939 60S
  • 1940  52, 60S, 62, and 72
  • 1941 60S

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan