News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Front spring spacer on an A/C car?

Started by Cadman-iac, January 12, 2020, 02:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

When I tore down the suspension on my '56 coupe with factory A/C, I found a solid 1/4" spacer between the right spring and the frame. But only one, the left side didn't have it.
I compared the springs and there was no difference between them,  not even a little bit. The part number on them was the same for both sides,  and it matches the number I found for a car with A/C. I'll have to check now where I found the number.  I don't remember if it was in my  MPL or the service manual, or somewhere else.
I wanted to know if there was anyone else who has seen that in their own car, or knows if it is a factory part.
I can  eventually find out by tearing down my sedan deville parts car  >:Dif I have to.  Its also an A/C car, but I really don't want to do that unless it was necessary.  I'm trying to keep it together as much as possible so I can refer to it as I put the coupe back together.
I couldn't find anything in the factory service manuals about it. Can it be because of the added weight of the A/C system?
I'll have to take some pictures of it to post, and I'll get the number off the springs.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Roger Zimmermann

This is what I can read in the parts book:

Group 7.425 Shim, front spring 
1953 thru 1956; 1958 thru 1961 exc. 75, CC:  # 1457838  1  Exc. air spring, use on right side w/air cond.

You have the answer!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 12, 2020, 03:06:13 AM
This is what I can read in the parts book:

Group 7.425 Shim, front spring 
1953 thru 1956; 1958 thru 1961 exc. 75, CC:  # 1457838  1  Exc. air spring, use on right side w/air cond.

You have the answer!

Thank you Roger,  I can rest easy now when I put it back on. I was thinking that it may have been something that one of the PO's had installed to compensate for a lean or something like that.

I appreciate the help. Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Bob,
Here's the pics of that spacer. Hope it helps.
Rick

PS, I laid it next to the spring for comparison.
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Roger, 
This is what I have in my MPL. That's why I wondered about the spacer.
See pic.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

It looks like the '62 to '64's may have multiple ones depending on whether or not there was an issue with height.
I'm guessing that the earlier years only had it if it had A/C.
Bob, if you're in need of one,  maybe check out the local salvage yard.
Rick
CLC# 32373

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, one could be installed for a very heavy driver, as excess weight on one side would create a visual difference in the stance of the vehicle when being driven.

With myself seated in my Eldo, sitting on the left side, and the vehicle being driven on the left side of the road, it creates more of a list to the left, simply because the road cambers to the left.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 12, 2020, 08:01:03 PM
Plus, one could be installed for a very heavy driver, as excess weight on one side would create a visual difference in the stance of the vehicle when being driven.
Bruce. >:D
True! That reminds me of one we had come into the dealership in the early '90's with that problem. I had forgotten about it until you just mentioned it.

And I always forget about you guys who drive on the wrong side of the road!!!
Rick
CLC# 32373

J. Gomez

Rick,

I believe the shim was place on the right side to offset the extra weight of the large A/C compressor when you measure the spring height on both sides, since the springs were the same for either A/C or non-A/C cards.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

R S Steven

Hi Rick,
Thanks For the pictures, they're a great help.

Bob