News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Authenticity Manual vs. Cadillac Master Parts List

Started by Bob Kielar, June 23, 2019, 10:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Mike you are not beating this into the ground as it’s an important topic. I am also not missing the point at all.

I believe that the Judging Rules are incomplete as stated since they do not reference in any way HOW to determine what EXACT parts rolled off the factory floor with every specific vehicle. To be fully correct in its application, the rules would have to mandate something virtually impossible to achieve on the show field .......that every vehicle being judged comes to the show with its build sheet to verify its build date and the actual equipment it was built with. In addition the VIN number would have to be matched against various MPL editions when there is a part being called into question regarding its authenticity particularly in these cases where two of the same model year cars are being judged against each other. This would be the only way to break ties and uncover vehicles with options added during restorations and the body plates changed.

Make no mistake that I am what’s known as a purest in car restoration and I will chase down the correct part until the day I get it no matter how long it takes. My issues come from the imperfect statements that some make during judging regarding authenticity when they have really not done the research and simply firmly believe that whatbthey kmow is correct and all others are wrong.

Thanks for the discussion. I hope it helps others as much as it has helped me understand what iur great volunteer judges are up against!!!

Jeff W.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Flyer

Jeff- When a car is judged at GN in the Primary Class it is not competing against the other cars within the same class. It's a stand alone thing. I think I read somewhere in the judging rules that if two cars in the same class both receive identical scores then both entries would receive the prize to which they earned ( if I'm wrong about this someone please correct me). The standard to which all cars in Primary will be " judged is that condition, appearance, and equipment as the car was originally delivered to the first owner considering authenticity, condition, operability, and cleanliness of all components." That quote is from the 2019 Membership Directory, page 89, paragraph, JUDGING STANDARDS.

That said the CLC Board and Judging Committee have created a "Catch 22" in some cases. Some items such as original spec tires cannot be purchased new for all model Cadillacs.  If I could afford to and bought NOS tires for my car it would become a stationary fixture. Who would be crazy enough to drive their beautiful car with 52 year old tires? Driving and enjoying it is the whole purpose for me owning classic cars.

There may be an out for some of us that can't locate original parts. I refer to a statement in the 2019 Judging Manual. Chapter 2, Entrants, page 5, Paragraph Documentation. " The Entrant is responsible for proving that all components of the car are as original to the year and model as manufactured by Cadillac or coachbuilder and/or most closely represent original features using items that are currently being reproduced.  For example, not all tires and convertible top materials used as Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) equipment are being regularly reproduced. CLC will not penalize anyone for not incurring the expense to replicate OEM tires or top material, provided that the Entrant provides proof (or provided that the Judges are otherwise aware) that such items are not readily available in the current market." Using this out is probably going to be available for only limited items and trying to prove there is nothing available may be next to impossible.  Hugh Dean

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Steve:

There are some specific exceptions made for the
addition of safety items (seat belts, for example)
that receive no deductions.

For an authorative answer on this I would suggest
you submit your question directly to Bill Anderson
our Chief Judge.  I don't recall this specific item
being discussed before.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region