News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Is it a fair thing to do.

Started by Jeepers Creepers, December 05, 2018, 03:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

Jeff

Sounds good but I bet you a side bet someone will get offended if you mention the "brake problem". (I assume Teves anti-lock barkes you are referring to)  You may cost them a sale.

Look at all who fly off the deep end if you dare comment on the HT4100. You would think you insulted their mother or something. Actually they want you to be quiet so they can dump it on some unsuspecting person. By the way it's not dumping if the buyer is aware of it.

I would never sell anything unless I told you everything that was an issue with the car. Since quoting someone else . "you wouldn't want that to happen to you?" So where do you draw the line, today everyone wakes up offended.

Seems like many people have no issue with taking advantage of an inexperienced buyer. Like it's some kind of joke. Well good luck to them, I guess they sleep well at night. I do not need to make a living selling classic cars. You should try to be honest and that means full disclosure. So in the future should we point out all the issues? Tally up the cost of them and sort of leave it hanging out in the post? Like an implied cost?

I say you can't be half pregnant. All or nothing or the issue will never end.

To sum it up I made an error in thinking this was another Craigslist link, but in reality if you think it's OK to trash the car on a 3rd party ad, why is that different than trashing the seller directly posting. Just because it's anonymous that makes it OK? It's really the same thing. You are making a comment that down grades the car. I guess if you cannot put a face to it it's fine?

Should you treat a stranger worse than someone you know? The answer is no. So I say lock the thread.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

No bet here--
I guess I look at this site as more of an educational site. I learn a lot from what is posted here. How else is someone going to learn if people cant post the truth--Good or bad.  It is hard to educate about something negative without offending someone. After all we live in a society where we take down statues and change team mascots because the past is offensive. I guess it stands to reason someone would be offended by having a 4100 or rust.

I just reread this and it sounds kind of soapboxy.  I hope that doesn't bother anybody (that post was intended to be humorously sarcastic) :)
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 05, 2018, 06:56:49 PM
One way of putting it is "if you wouldn't want it done to you, then don't do it to others".

Bruce. >:D

I think Bruce has covered it pretty well.

As for the thread heading, sorry Carl, but i'm not writing for Boston Globe and i'm not a journalist.
However, it seems the thread title is still working ok.  ;)

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 06, 2018, 02:04:18 PM
I think Bruce has covered it pretty well.

That's fine but I'm not certain how this is intended to be applied since we're dealing with two different scenarios here. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeepers Creepers

I was only ever referring to negative price comments on a forum members For Sale ad.

I wouldn't like it done to me if i had an ad listed and I wouldn't do it to someone else.
I have however, always found, price is the great leveler.

That said, as a seller, lack of interest or inspections will soon educate a seller he may be too dear.
For someone to just post a lesser price opinion without seeing the car, is a bit of an uneducated opinion.
But I think it would tarnish a genuine buyers thought on a car.

As a buyer, folks do need to do there homework prior to buying and make an educated decision.

Two and half years ago, I bought our 64 Fleetwood and shipped it to Australia. At $14,500, i thought I got a pretty decent buy.
Some would argue, I paid a grand or two too much.... but the seller was happy and so was I and I still am. (best car I've ever owned)

Buying with your heart of course, will see a higher price paid I would think.
Someone, who has no real interest in the car, talking a lower price, will have folks wondering if they should pay $14,500 or not.

I guess when it comes down to it, when I was reading the For Sale ad in question, I just thought, I wouldn't like that done to my ad if I was selling my Cadillac.
Hence, i started a thread to gauge an opinion of whether I was being a bit too sensitive or not.

Having read the comments, it would seem there is no real right or wrong. 
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

James Landi

In my judgment, a great deal of wisdom, empathy, and engagement expressed here, and absolutely no reason to be critical of anyone who expresses a considered opinion as long as it is not intended to be intentionally hurtful.  I sincerely hope that those posting Craig's Lists and other ads will continue to do so.  It's educational, engaging, and I would sorely miss the postings if they were to go away.   Gratefully,  James

V63

I appreciate the efforts of those placing relevant CL selections here. To add, I think a ‘screenshot’ Of the ad would be an improvement, that way, the car can always be referred even after it’s link is not.

If anyone has put an ad on craigslist before...you need not be thin skinned. Insulting Offers of less than scrap value are routine. Comparatively, the criticism here is a non issue. While many of us are fairly knowledgeable about Cadillac, the public nature assumes some people are not, and might appreciate what others feel as redundant. While I have owned (for example) a 4100...painfully,  it deserves all the criticism it receives.

I feel the spirit of forum input is ‘overall’ helpful, and often critical things are pointed out that others may not notice. Or forgot😳

Scot Minesinger

OK, my 2 cents:

Agree with many of the posters along the lines of the golden rule, and if I was really selling a Cadillac, of course I would list it on this forum because it is free. 

Unfortunately, most of the posters do not strike me as buyers.  So if I was selling, probably would make the listing and add some real good info and pictures - then lock the thread as George recommends while asking for a pm if interested.  Anyone with a brain will check the car out in person or have a qualified inspector check it out before buying it, so negative comments are usually not that helpful for an actual transaction.  Yes we can criticize but it does get a little heavy on this forum, and on minor things. 

Some comments are helpful like when a 1959 EBZ (the blue one with the white dash) was up for sale with a not original, but different body tag.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

General members can lock threads?   ???

signart

My 2 cents.
I see no valid reason to enable any comments to be added to the for sale classified section of a forum. It would be nice to have a location and price requirement to post a free ad, but interested parties should conduct comments, questions and negotiations by private mail.
There is a general discussion section in this forum to debate value, condition etc. and technical/authenticity section to discuss related issues. Anyone seeking to be informed or educated should be following and adding advice or comments there. That's my two cents and that could be debated if it's worth even half that. ::)     
Art D. Woody

cadillac ken

I used to find the best deals from local folks that had cars for sale.  Not anymore.  I find the best deals from club members these days as they are far more realistic and knowledgeable.

The local "flippers" are the worst to deal with.  They have no idea of value, cost to restore, or the actual details of the cars they are asking asinine prices for.

IMO most times they deserve to be called out for false statements, ridiculous asking prices, and overall lack of effort to educate themselves on what it is they are trying to sell. 

And as always, anyone's criticism is just one mans assessment.  I've never relied on anyone's opinion when buying a car.

67_Eldo

To answer the original cryptic question: Yes, it is a fair thing to do.

Read the comments for Bring A Trailer's listing of a "1958 Eldorado Brougham Project."

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1958-cadillac-eldorado/

Or even comments like this on our own board:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=152733.0

I think there's general agreement on the following:

3rd party links: Open season (within reason).

Forum member owned car for sale: Positive comments, sincere questions/inquiries  - okay to post.

Big Apple Caddy

Although pretty neutral on this topic, I don’t know why "3rd party" links should be open season any more or less than other for sale postings.  Sellers specifically choosing to post on here are choosing to potentially open themselves up to replies, comments, etc and in doing so can reply back if they want to.  Those posting on eBay, craiglist, etc didn't choose to post here or choose to be exposed to replies, comments, etc on this forum and may not be aware of the comments (good or bad, justified or not) and therefore don't have an opportunity to respond.

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 07, 2018, 11:45:11 AM
Although pretty neutral on this topic, I don’t know why "3rd party" links should be open season any more or less than other for sale postings.

Because it serves to provide helpful guidance & general knowledge to those who are less aware of general issues as well as insights into problems known to affect to specific models and/or model years. The overall benefit of this should be readily apparent.

It should be equally apparent the difference between posting such commentary in the abstract and doing the same on direct for sale postings.

INTMD8

I don't see a problem with commenting on price, condition, or authenticity, especially by the experts here.

If a car is posted here or linked and a few knowledgeable members give it a thumbs up and their insight, that's good for everyone.  Seller is justified and buyer can feel more confident in purchasing.

If one is posted with a lot of issues it's good to know that as well. There have been plenty of things called out on cars that I had no idea of or would have not known otherwise.  In that case I think it's better to bring issues to light and save members from a bad purchase than worry about hurting the feelings of the seller. 

I've seen many cases of the opposite, an exceptional car is posted and people saying "excellent car, that will sell quickly/etc".

Fwiw on other forums I frequent there is no price commentary allowed on for sale ads but there is another thread in the general discussion forum that in this case would be titled "Cadillac marketplace discussion" or some variant.

That way members can link/discuss a car for sale without turning the sellers ad into a disaster  ;D

signart

There is a complete General Discussion and Technical/Authenticity section for those seeking general knowledge, guidance and insights into problems or known problems etc. No need to go over this in a classified section.
Most Craigslist ads contain: "Don't need any help selling" and yet they are posted over and over on this forum
Art D. Woody

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 07, 2018, 12:55:47 PM
Because it serves to provide helpful guidance & general knowledge to those who are less aware of general issues as well as insights into problems known to affect to specific models and/or model years. The overall benefit of this should be readily apparent.

I understand why commenting on for sale ads can potentially be beneficial and I am not opposed to people being able to do so; although I do agree with Brian's earlier post that some unfortunately do it simply out of boredom, meanness, or the burning desire to try to come across as the smartest guy around rather than a desire to help.

Anyway, my point was that the rules/guidelines for replies to 3rd party ad posts should be the same as those posted by forum member selling their own car.  I feel it should be “open season” for all, restricted for all, or something in between for all.  At least sellers specifically posting on here know what they are getting into (whatever those rules/guidelines may end up being) and can respond to comments if they choose to.  Those advertising elsewhere and having their ad listing show up here without their knowledge aren't able to respond.

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 07, 2018, 01:36:15 PM
I understand why commenting on for sale ads can potentially be beneficial and I am not opposed to people being able to do so; although I do agree with Brian's earlier post that some unfortunately do it simply out of boredom, meanness, or the burning desire to try to come across as the smartest guy around rather than a desire to help.

Anyway, my point was that the rules/guidelines for replies to 3rd party ad posts should be the same as those posted by forum member selling their own car.  I feel it should be “open season” for all, restricted for all, or something in between for all.  At least sellers specifically posting on here know what they are getting into (whatever those rules/guidelines may end up being) and can respond to comments if they choose to.  Those advertising elsewhere and having their ad listing show up here without their knowledge aren't able to respond.

With all due respect I think that's a rather cynical way of looking at it and a number of members have already indicated appreciation for the insights gained. I know I learned a few tidbits myself.

I'm sorry if you genuinely don't see a distinction between the appropriateness of critique/commentary under the two different scenarios. And if A & B choose to discuss C, there is little C can do about it. That's a just a basic fact of life whether C likes it or not, with or without C's knowledge - the world over, all day, every day.

Quote from: signart on December 07, 2018, 01:13:10 PM
There is a complete General Discussion and Technical/Authenticity section for those seeking general knowledge, guidance and insights into problems of known problems etc. No need to go over this in a classified section.
Most Craigslist ads contain: "Don't need any help selling" and yet they are posted over and over on this forum

The reason many CL ads contain that language is to help prevent unsolicited contact from third party automobile consignors who commonly target CL advertisers. These consignors are looking to take a cut from the sale price which is why advertisers often include this statement in their listings.