News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Revised Judging Standards for Touring Classes

Started by jdemerson, April 20, 2019, 10:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

Quote from: Art Gardner CLC 23021 on May 03, 2019, 10:46:01 AM
I am bringing my 55 FW to the GN this year and will have it judged in the Touring Class.  It carries its original drivetrain, half of its original paint, most of its original interior (all but the carpet).  I have had 19 old Cadillacs between 1949 and 1962.  Some were high-end cars, all were a joy to me.  Well, there was a 56 Eldo that I didn't like.  But I digress. LOL!

My cars have never done well in the CLC GN judging.  I have never tried to hide any flaws or mods in my cars.  I have finished behind cars that wouldn't go over 30 miles per hour or had a much newer engine disguised as a an original engine (but pretty paint jobs).  I don't care.  My cars have been short-changed several times.  I don't care.  I just don't care.

I love working on old Cadillacs.  I love driving old Cadillacs (over the past 30 years, I have driven an old Cad as my everyday car about 12 years).  I love making an original Cadillac system work like new and look like new.  I love some tasteful modification that (IMO) makes the car work better and safer (like electronic ignition, dual circuit masters, seat belts, alternators that look like generators, etc.). I am not even that much into car club meetings and car shows -- I prefer the work and the driving experience.

The bottom line is that I do what I do out of a passion for old Cadillacs.  I spend countless hours, year after year, tinkering with old Cadillacs.  I do it because I love it.  If I never win a trophy, so be it.  Awards are immaterial to me.  I'll take the joy of the work, the joy of the journey, the joy of driving them.  To me, that is all that matters.

Art, you and your car are EXACTLY what the modest changes in the Touring Class judging rules are targeting. I am eager to meet you and see your '55 FW in Louisville. Thank you for sharing this message.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn