News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado on NY CL

Started by wrench, May 31, 2020, 12:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

I have no affiliation with this car. I did talk to this guy a couple of years ago and he was , shall I say, less than cooperative in selling the car.

Maybe he has changed his ‘attitude’ or maybe someone can shake him loose to actually sell the damn thing.

I don’t even remember the issue, but I remember communication was ‘challenging’.

He fancies himself as some sort of collector as you can see in the background. Instead of making arrangements for me to come look at the car, he hit me up for advise on where to get some wood parts made for his woodie restoration. ::)

I walked away.

Just putting it out there. This thing has been relisted CL and has now been for sale for a while.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/stony-point-1968-eldorado/7132754147.html
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Cadman-iac

From just a cursory inspection it's not a bad looking car, except for the driver seat upholstery. I do have to wonder why some pictures were not taken of it outside in the daylight though, and more angles as well.
But from what was shown it appears to be in decent shape.
That's an odd stain on the seat, almost looks as if it was just wet, but if that were the case,  why picture it at all.
I also didn't see any mileage statement on it.
   Thanks for the link, always nice to look at any classic Cadillac.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

chrisntam

Didn’t we look at this one recently in another post?  I recall the drivers seat as being odd.

Yep, Matt posted it on may 10. 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

James Landi

Decades ago when I was shopping for an inexpensive '67-'70 Eldorado, I was (most) lusting after that bl/w combo, or a triple white.  Now this was back in 1974, during the height of gasoline rationing in the NYC metro area, so these cars were being unloaded. Is the body color on that car white, or a shade of off- white-- seems odd?  I picked up a triple dark blue one for under $2,000 with 78 K on ithe clock and at the end of the first year of ownership, I was rebuilding the tedious auto/level control that blew as a consequence of the rear, single leaf spring snapping-- I bring this up because at the asking price, and no odometer reading, there could be a host of expensive repairs awaiting the next owner... the good news is that the '68 has the two wheel bearing engineering as opposed to the single on the '67, and having owned one, they are exceptionally durable and long lasting-- Let's hope that this example goes to a good home, and that it's truly in great condition, but as presented (yes, and why not outdoor photos), one can only be skeptical.   At the very least, it's in a garage, and the present owner is preserving it.   Happy day, and be of good cheer, James

D.Smith

"Sun spots"?     "Been this way for decades" ? 

No mention of the cars mileage or mechanical condition.   Poor photos and a don't bother me attitude. 

Just another person wasting internet bandwidth.

J. Skelly

It looks to be Sudan Beige (code 42), and the top was replaced with an incorrect (smooth) vinyl.  If there are no rust issues, it would be a nice car to pick up.  Finding the correct upholstery might be a challenge.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

wrench

Quote from: chrisntam on May 31, 2020, 07:42:58 AM
Didn’t we look at this one recently in another post?  I recall the drivers seat as being odd.

Yep, Matt posted it on may 10.

My apologies, did not see that.

I’m getting old.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

chrisntam

Quote from: wrench on May 31, 2020, 10:30:21 AM
My apologies, did not see that.

I’m getting old.

Nah, you're good!  More discussion on an otherwise fairly slow forum...

Now I say, "More (ads) please!

:D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Matt CLC#18621

I actually inspected the 68 Fleetwood Eldorado 3 weeks back.

I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS 68 FLEETWOOD ELDORADO!

Inspection of 1968 Fleetwood Eldorado â€" Asking Price $12,500 (Exit 14 off Palisades Parkway in NYS)
On behalf of a CLC Member, I inspected the stated 1968 Fleetwood Eldorado.

Upon arrival, the Fleetwood Eldorado was found to be located in a radiant heated twelve (12) car garage. It was completely shrouded with a clear elastic car cover that wrapped and sealed nicely under both bumpers. 

When the cover was removed, the Fleetwood Eldorado’s paint was found to be brilliant and very smooth. The paint on the entire Fleetwood Eldorado is tremendous. I rate the updated paint 96 out of 100 points. The owner’s representative was not sure of the paint’s age, however he stated that he thought the Fleetwood Eldorado was possibly repainted circa 2011 or 2012.

The examination of the Fleetwood Eldorado’s body found it to be extremely straight, and I did not notice any dings or door slams into any of the panels. It also has what appears to be ‘dealer installed’ steel body side moldings that are straight with limited pings and blend in very nicely along the Fleetwood Eldorado’s highest V points.

Regarding the lower fenders/door panels/rear quarter panels/rocker panels, I used a heavy duty magnet covered with cloth and it appeared that all the examined areas swiped were solid with no evidence of Bondo plastic metal filler present. The 'knock-knock' test also supplied additional evidence that the tested areas sounded very solid and appeared to indicate that no Bondo plastic metal filler was present.

The owner’s representative stated that if there was any rust that required repairing, that such infected area(s) would have been cut-out and replaced with sheet metal that was properly welded to the affected panels (if any). Additionally, there appeared to be no rust bubbling or paint peeling around the rear quarter panels’ upper wheel wells next to the wheel well fender trim. Furthermore, there appeared to be no rust noted underneath the doors’ interior lower panels and it also appeared that the interior areas of the doors including the hinges were the original factory paint that the Fleetwood Eldorado was delivered with.

The black padded vinyl roof (cannot confirm if correct grain) was in extremely fine condition with minimal bubbles (if any) noticed or felt on the top services. There was the omnipresent rust noted along the vinyl roof’s upper rear molding enclosing the rear window above the rear decklid filler plate.

The Deauville cloth interior with vinyl bolsters and carpet was in good condition. However, the front seat fabric is rated 1 out of 10 points and does not appear to be repairable due to the size of the stain (origin unknown). The entire strato-bench seat needs to be reupholstered. The rear seats fabric is rated 9-1/2 out of 10 points and in extremely nice condition. The wood veneer is extremely brittle and in very poor condition, especially on the door panels where rainwater more likely than not had penetrated underneath the thin wood veneer panels causing the unrepairable damage.

After pumping the gas pedal and cranking the cold engine three times, the ‘all new for 1968,’ Cadillac 472 fired right up. The 472 was also aided by a brand new Interstate heavy duty battery. The engine ran very smoothly, no knocking sounds were noted and the 472 appeared to be firing on all 8 cylinders. The three speed transmission felt tight and shifted nicely with no clunking between gears noted.

An inspection of the heated concrete pad before and after did not reveal any presence of motor oil, transmission oil or radiator fluid drippings or puddles underneath the engine compartment. The seller’s representative believed that the last time that the Fleetwood Eldorado had been on any extended road trip was when the 80 y/o ‘gentlemen-owner’ drove it round trip to the Hershey Meet in 2012.

This particular example appears to be a base Fleetwood Eldorado with no options. Power windows, power bench seat, automatic climate control, and an AM/FM radio were noted.

I did not test the automatic climate control to determine if the A/C functioned properly or if it was blowing cold air, nor did I inquire if same had been modernized and converted to R134a refrigerant.

05D: The Build Date was the Fourth Week of May, 1968.
STYLE: 68-69347 Fleetwood Eldorado / 2 Door  Hardtop.
BODY: FWD-Fleetwood Division, Clark Street Assembly Plant, Detroit, MI.
Fleetwood Eldorado Body Production Sequence No. 20,236 of 24,528.
TRIM: Interior Code 444-Beige in standard Deauville cloth interior with vinyl bolsters.
PAINT: Paint Color Codes 42-62.
Lower Body Color Code 42-Sudan Beige.
Upper (Vinyl) Roof Color Code 62-Black.

I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS 68 FLEETWOOD ELDORADO!

regards,
matt CLC# 18621

(Nota Bene: I am not an Automobile Appraiser nor am I an Automobile Valuation Expert!
I am just an interested party of all things being a 1967 and/or a 1968 Fleetwood Eldorado!)

wrench

Thanks for the update Matt.

You obviously got further along than I did.

I remember now, the seller was supposed to get his guy in touch with me and that never happened, so I moved on.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

D.Smith

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on June 01, 2020, 11:10:25 AM

This particular example appears to be a base Fleetwood Eldorado with no options.

Really?    You mentioned several of them.

Vinyl top:   $131
AM/FM Stereo : $288
Climate Control: $515
plus
White wall tires: $56
Tinted glass: 50
Dealer installed bodyside moldings.

Could be more but without better photos who knows.

James Landi

Thank you Matt for your highly professional survey of the subject car.  Impressive that it is so well kept, and in that floor heated garage,and  is receiving the "spa treatment," so if one were to monetize the owner's careful attention to preservation and indoor storage, you'd be reconciling a good deal of the asking price.  I wonder about the mileage on the "clock," and knowing from your detailed report that there are no drips from the mechanical components, likely puts it under 100K.  Your survey certainly places an important positive "context" for an interested CLC member.  If I were ten years younger, I'd be seriously interested, and making arrangements to test drive and further inspect.  There are still some important questions, but unlike some of the examples we enjoy assessing at a distance, this one looks to be very well care for by an owner of substantial means. Again, thank you Matt.   Happy day, and be of good cheer,  James

Matt CLC#18621

Hello,

Been a bit busy but I will post the pics I took including Body Tag.

regards,
matt CLC#18621

Matt CLC#18621

Hey Dave,
Duly noted. However I view this as a bare-bone 68Fleetwood Eldorado as all the items you correctly noted as options should have been 'standard equipment' (save the padded vinyl roof) on “the worlds finest personal car.”
Just my opinion and I respect Everyone's Opinions.
regards,

matt CLC# 18621
i am 2nd

Quote from: D.Smith on June 02, 2020, 06:20:17 AM
Really?    You mentioned several of them.

Vinyl top:   $131
AM/FM Stereo : $288
Climate Control: $515
plus
White wall tires: $56
Tinted glass: 50
Dealer installed bodyside moldings.

Could be more but without better photos who knows.

chrisntam

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on June 02, 2020, 11:58:56 AM
I few view this as a bare-bone Fleetwood Eldorado as all these items should have been standard on “the worlds finest person automobile.” Just my opinion.

Agree.

I see this a no option base model...  It would be a pass for me for lack of options.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

Quote from: chrisntam on June 02, 2020, 05:57:15 PM
Agree.

I see this a no option base model...   

These was only one model Eldorado.  No models above base.

So with 5 options clearly shown on the price sheet, you must really be confused by the ones where the buyer didn't order Climate control or a vinyl top. 

Matt CLC#18621

It devastates me that there are some 67 Fleetwood Eldorados’ that were delivered from the factory without AC / Automatic Climate Control!

regards,
matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd

35-709

Our family dealership sold, ordered and delivered a '67 Eldo without A/C.  As I remember it took 3 months or more to get the car and more than a few phone calls.  Cadillac did not want to build the car that way, the buyer insisted on no A/C.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

67 Cadillac

I bought a second bagged 67 Eldorado for parts. The car was ordered with lots of options but no air conditioning. That's funny that GM didn't want to take the order. i wonder how many were ordered that way.

James Landi

Gets me wondering... did the Cadillac division not want the delete a/c so that such cars where not on the road, or was it cheaper for them not to have to build the car without the a/c -- change orders in the assembly line, or were the parts needed to delete the a/c more expensive then including the a/c--- viz: economy of scale for the standard parts?   Happy day,and be of good cheer, James