News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Relavence of the CLS Forums

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, June 28, 2023, 12:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Can't find the post that was discussing the comparison of this forum with those on FB. Just my thoughts on this issue and not a condemnation of ANYTHING. I am a member of several Automotive groups on FB, and have gotten a lot of useful information there, but occasionally someone for what ever reason states something "off the wall" as indisputable fact. Posters with knowledge of the facts trying to (possibly) politely correct the errors get met with scathing diatribes and are driven into silence. This forum has restraints on such actions, and the MAJORITY of the posters are CLS members with actual experience in the matters discussed. Sedate discussions accomplish much more than hysterical rants everyday.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Greg,

Agreed. It used to be called civility and valued a hierarchy of ideas rather than invectives and sound volume
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

TJ Hopland

I dunno I have seen the same thing go on in some forums too.  On one there was a person that was around for a while and seemed like a pretty normal person that asked reasonable questions and occasionally made useful contributions but then over about a week span seemed to totally loose it and started 'attacking' both new and long time members that were respectfully trying to correct misinformation.   

What I find most frustrating about Facebook and similar platforms is they all seem to be tailored for and about now.  Perfect for telling all your 'friends' what you had for lunch today or the cute thing your pet or kid did.  Sure you can ask a question about your car or what ever and maybe get an answer but what I find frustrating and think makes them of very limited use is there really doesn't seem to be useful ways to search things.

I didn't join till fairly recently and had always been told when looking for support or information that 'there is a great facebook group for that' so I finally gave in assuming that this was going to be a game changer like the forums were but I'm finding it to be almost useless.  Maybe I just don't know how to use it and search and link things but the few groups that I sort of follow I and it looks like others have got burnt out fairly quickly because people keep coming asking the same questions and someone appears to have to give the same answer over and over again.  At least with the traditional forums there is a chance the user will use the search function either in the forum or from an outside search engine.  If they didn't bother to search another member can easily reply and link them to a poplar thread that likely answers their questions.

I'm also really bummed that marketplace appears to have been one of the things that has pretty much killed craigs list.  That has to be the most fickle search function algorithm I have ever seen. You can search for the exact text in a title and it won't come up.  Several days pass and all the sudden the thing you are looking for pops up and was a active listing in your search area when you first searched it?  It also seems to be set up so you can't really link to listings unless you are doing the whole friend thing and the person you want to link to is also doing the whole thing.

Maybe I just don't know how to work any of this stuff and it is really as great as 'they' say it is? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clewisiii

I like the narrative form that can be maintained here. But I wish the Technical section had more of a tree to keep specific content separated. By decade/ model year or content function.   Right now it is easy to ask a question. But harder to find previous questions. Especially if the poster gives no context in the topic.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

Ya the 'teaser topics' here are kinda frustrating.  For those that don't know what we are talking about is something like "brakes not working".  A much more useful subject would be "leaking power brake booster 76 Eldo".  At this point maybe using all 4 digits of the year may become important, we are rapidly getting into the time where someone could be asking questions about a 1922 or 2022 model.

I'm pretty mixed on the idea of having more categories.  I'm on forums that have way to many sections and I think it can actually hurt.  It seems like it takes longer to scroll through everything so I find myself only sticking to my main section or two and can end up missing interesting things in other sections.  With cars there seems to be enough overlap in enough places it could get messy.   

Like say the Eldo's that I know would you make 67-70 a section because its a different body than the 71-78?  Engine is more or less the same 68-78 so if they were 2 separate sections people that have an engine question on a 69 could miss out on people in the 71-78 section. Then what do you do with the 67 people?  Stick them in the 64-67 other cars that are not FWD?  So you then have a 472-500-425 engine section and 425 transmission section?   But the 425 and 400 internals and troubleshooting is largely the same?  So to cover 2 generations of Eldo's we now have at least 6 sections?  And that is just Eldo for those years.  Gets to me a mess pretty fast. Even trying to spit pre and post war models could be not that easy since I would assume the first few post models were largely same as pre but did have some new stuff so even those kinda fall over a line.       

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agree on the topic headings. It would have a lot of time if at least the model year stated before the issue, ie: "1949: Overheating"; "1978 Eldorado: Brakes Sticking" 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

Quote from: Clewisiii on June 28, 2023, 02:36:59 PMI like the narrative form that can be maintained here. But I wish the Technical section had more of a tree to keep specific content separated. By decade/ model year or content function.  Right now it is easy to ask a question. But harder to find previous questions. Especially if the poster gives no context in the topic.
It is important for people to use a clear Topic Title when posting that helps others find that topic. However, I am investigating whether we can implement a tag process for the Technical/Authenticity forum, maybe for others if successful. I am looking for something that provides pre-defined tags, to avoid a plethora of tags negating the benefits of being able to filter on relevant tags.

If I find a suitable tool, I will let the forums know as soon as it is installed.

Stefan
CLC Webmaster
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Lexi

Sounds like a great idea. Clay/Lexi

badpoints

I like this forum but do feel like you are not really welcome unless you have a valuable car. Not much for likes or support when you post about doing work on your car. Mabey a little too reserved.

Jim Miller

I look through the forum and the various Cadillac Facebook sites about every day. There is always something to learn. The responses to technical questions, however, on the CLC forum tend to have more substance.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: badpoints on June 29, 2023, 12:28:21 PMI like this forum but do feel like you are not really welcome unless you have a valuable car. Not much for likes or support when you post about doing work on your car. Mabey a little too reserved.   
I find this statement a bit odd as I have never considered the value of a car as being important when on this Forum.   Everyone that comes to this site would consider their car as being important, no matter how cheap or expensive, common or rare.   That is what is good about this Club, and the Forum.   

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Michael Petti

I have learned a lot about my car from these forums. I think they are the best ones for our cars. The better topic tags and search engine would help. My two cents worth is we should finish the posts about problems, with what did or did not work, even if the post is old. I see many posts about one problem or another where lots of suggestions are given but the ultimate solution is not posted. The post just ends. Like reading a murder mystery and never finding out who done it. Concluding the posts would enhance the value of any new search engines that are installed. Thanks

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I look on Facebook for curiosity, but if I have a real issue, I ask here. I trust this forum much more than all the Facebook "experts." Facebook is for the quick stuff, this forum is for substance.

Now as for the format redo, I do miss the last post date on the topics because I seem to reread the same ones. I would also appreciate people closing out their topics for future users.

As for the person who doesn't feel welcome, I respectfully disagree. I have asked some really stupid questions, and get a good solid explanation almost every time. And, if you saw my cars, you wouldn't think they are worth a lot. But I work on them myself, and I like to learn.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Lexi

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on June 30, 2023, 08:09:41 AMI look on Facebook for curiosity, but if I have a real issue, I ask here. I trust this forum much more than all the Facebook "experts." Facebook is for the quick stuff, this forum is for substance.

Now as for the format redo, I do miss the last post date on the topics because I seem to reread the same ones. I would also appreciate people closing out their topics for future users.

As for the person who doesn't feel welcome, I respectfully disagree. I have asked some really stupid questions, and get a good solid explanation almost every time. And, if you saw my cars, you wouldn't think they are worth a lot. But I work on them myself, and I like to learn.
Jeff R

Well put Jeff. I agree. Forum seems all inclusive to me. Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Speaking for myself, I will respond to any item to which I feel can make a worthwhile contribution. Value, condition, rarity or commonality of model/year doesn't enter into it.

The only questions I almost never respond to are those dealing with alterations because I have no knowledge or experience in those matters. If it's a general question soliciting opinions on whether to retain stock condition, features etc or not, I'll give my two cents.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: badpoints on June 29, 2023, 12:28:21 PMI like this forum but do feel like you are not really welcome unless you have a valuable car. Not much for likes or support when you post about doing work on your car. Mabey a little too reserved.

THAT'S NOT TRUE
Your car can be a $hitbox or a Senior Crown competitor, people WILL help you here.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Lexi

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on June 30, 2023, 11:39:55 AMTHAT'S NOT TRUE
Your car can be a $hitbox or a Senior Crown competitor, people WILL help you here.

Yep! My car is certainly not Senior Crown quality either but the enthusiastic responses I have received on this Forum when I needed help were awesome. Always much appreciated. We are all in this together and got to stick together and help one another out.  Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

I am going on 9 years on the restoration of my car.  As I can get parts one dollar at a time.  I have been on this forum for maybe half that time.  I like helping others, but sharing my progress is just as encouraging to myself.  I know many people who would have given up by now. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Clewisiii on June 30, 2023, 02:19:56 PMI am going on 9 years on the restoration of my car.  As I can get parts one dollar at a time.  I have been on this forum for maybe half that time.  I like helping others, but sharing my progress is just as encouraging to myself.  I know many people who would have given up by now. 

"Inch by inch, life's a cinch" - Ritchie Olsen, Olsen Cadillac
You keep going Carl, we're watching and cheering for you!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

James Landi

"I have learned a lot about my car from these forums. I think they are the best ones for our cars. The better topic tags and search engine would help. My two cents worth is we should finish the posts about problems, with what did or did not work, even if the post is old. I see many posts about one problem or another where lots of suggestions are given but the ultimate solution is not posted. The post just ends. Like reading a murder mystery and never finding out who done it. Concluding the posts would enhance the value of any new search engines that are installed. Thanks"

I've thoroughly enjoyed the responses from members on this important topic (assuming that it's been well covered), and I copied Mr. Petti's contribution for emphasis, as I often "weigh in" and then, somewhat feeling disappointed not knowing how a member's car issue was resolved. Also appreciate Carl's narrative and reconstruction of "Phyllis."  Major disappointment when a restorer stops posting (What happened to the member with the red '74 Eldorado who was doing such magnificent work?) As others have stated, I'm learning and enjoying and appreciate the expressions of civility among members. Gratefully, James