News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Series 63 overheating

Started by falpunz, August 15, 2023, 08:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falpunz

I have a 41 Series 63 with the shutters. The bar is disconnected and I'm sure the shutterstat doesn't work as the shutters are wide open. As such, there is no thermostat. I'm in Phoenix and the car is overheating with the aftermarket temp gauge at 250 degrees. The water pump seems to be working fine, the fan is working and I don't see any leaks. Any ideas as to what to do to get the temp back to an acceptable range?

Thanks.

J. Russo

G.,

I just went through this a few weeks ago, however my peak temperature was about 230 degrees.

Some things to check first:

Make sure your radiator, water pump, Fan and radiator cap (RC-7 / 9 lb. pressure) are in good working order. I have 2 radiator caps available for sale.
Make sure radiator vents remain wide open.
Bottom radiator hose - I've read where some folks say it crimps when hot, restricting water flow.
Check your engine settings including idle speed and timing. If the timing is correct, you can try to advance it a little to see if the temperature improves.

Check out this post. It is related to flushing the coolant system and removing sludge buildup in the engine. It worked for me and resulted in a 25-30 degree improvement in engine temperature.

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=172645.msg543961#msg543961

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

Quote from: falpunz on August 15, 2023, 08:51:27 PMI have a 41 Series 63 with the shutters. The bar is disconnected and I'm sure the shutterstat doesn't work as the shutters are wide open. As such, there is no thermostat. I'm in Phoenix and the car is overheating with the aftermarket temp gauge at 250 degrees. The water pump seems to be working fine, the fan is working and I don't see any leaks. Any ideas as to what to do to get the temp back to an acceptable range?

Thanks.

Purchasing an inexpensive laser infrared thermometer gun to compare with your aftermarket temperature gauge would help verify temperature accuracy also.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

falpunz

V63

Check for engine vacuum leaks, I would only have the vacuum advance connected (verify it's operation) and eliminate all other vacuum circuits (vacuum wipers). Remember a lien fuel mixture will cause over heating. Verify intake manifold is secured sufficiently.

The radiator caps for those are a special deep variety.

After that I would pull the radiator and verify its 'flow' and I'd  back flush it and check for leaks. (Have radiator shop test it).  Next is the block could very probable have excessive sediment as detailed above.