News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 cadillac eldoradeo ,painting ,colors or 2 tone

Started by 34858, December 18, 2023, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi have a 1973 caddy eldoradeo new paint job,Question do some caddys have 2 colors
or should i stay with 1 color??
Thanks kenny
Kenny

J. Skelly

only monotones were available in '73 on the Eldorado
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There were two tone paint schemes available from the factory but not in 1973. If authenticity is a concern, the car should be painted in its original single color. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

Was the Seville elegante, custom Biarritz in 1978 the reawakening of 2 tone ?

TJ Hopland

Did the big Eldo ever get a 2 tone option or did it just miss it since it ended in 78?

If you was to do it where would the line be?  Splitting it half way where the rub strip is I think would be too low.  Would you do a wide strip in the middle above and below that body line?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Not including tone paint of the '50s until 1964 where two tone paint which mainly consisted of the roof being painted a different color from the body, the first factory two tone paint schemes appeared in 1978 on the Eldorado Custom Biarritz Classic and the Seville Elegante'. 

Only a single combination was offered on either model: Demitasse Brown over Arizona Beige for the Biarritz Classic and Ruidoso Brown over Western Saddle Firemist for the Elegante'. Apart from these specific models, two tone paint was not available on any other Cadillac model in 1978 nor any Cadillac from 1965 through 1977. In these years, the only way to achieve a two-tone effect was through the vinyl top color (or convertible roof).

In 1979, two tone paint became available on all models (except Seville, Eldorado Biarritz and Limousines) in any of seven of predetermined combinations. That year, the Seville Elegante' came in Black over Slate Firemist only.

In 1980, two tone paint was dropped as an option on Fleetwood Broughams but the Elegante' was now available in three two-tone combinations. In 1981, two tone paint became available on the base Seville in any of 13 combinations. 

TJ Hopland

There is one photo that comes up in 78 Eldo searches, its a tan car with what looks like brown on the non padded part of the roof and the bump on the hood.   So if that is the factory option looks like they had the same problem I had with there is no good spot on the side to do the split. 

Biarritz trim on hood and doors provided the split for the colors.

TJ Hopland

I don't like those colors but I don't hate how they split em.  Just isn't any good lines on the sides to use.

For better or worse, "earth tones" were all the rage in the late '70s.

V63

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 19, 2023, 01:07:48 PMNot including tone paint of the '50s until 1964 where two tone paint which mainly consisted of the roof being painted a different color from the body, the first factory two tone paint schemes appeared in 1978 on the Eldorado Custom Biarritz Classic and the Seville Elegante'. 

Only a single combination was offered on either model: Demitasse Brown over Arizona Beige for the Biarritz Classic and Ruidoso Brown over Western Saddle Firemist for the Elegante'. Apart from these specific models, two tone paint was not available on any other Cadillac model in 1978 nor any Cadillac from 1965 through 1977. In these years, the only way to achieve a two-tone effect was through the vinyl top color (or convertible roof).

In 1979, two tone paint became available on all models (except Seville, Eldorado Biarritz and Limousines) in any of seven of predetermined combinations. That year, the Seville Elegante' came in Black over Slate Firemist only.

In 1980, two tone paint was dropped as an option on Fleetwood Broughams but the Elegante' was now available in three two-tone combinations. In 1981, two tone paint became available on the base Seville in any of 13 combinations. 

Do not forget this elegante selection

Quote from: V63 on December 20, 2023, 10:22:48 AMDo not forget this elegante selection

I covered that above - Ruidoso Brown/Western Saddle Firemist for 1978 Elegante.

V63

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 20, 2023, 10:32:38 AMI covered that above - Ruidoso Brown/Western Saddle Firemist for 1978 Elegante.

Yes, you did ✅

TJ Hopland

When did the paint color names start getting 'fancy'?    I assume there was a time where the options were your basic Crayola 8 pack?   Then did they start with dark brown and light brown before they came up with Ruidoso brown?

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 20, 2023, 01:01:45 PMWhen did the paint color names start getting 'fancy'?    I assume there was a time where the options were your basic Crayola 8 pack?   Then did they start with dark brown and light brown before they came up with Ruidoso brown?

At least as far back as the early 1930s.

V63

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 20, 2023, 01:01:45 PMWhen did the paint color names start getting 'fancy'?    I assume there was a time where the options were your basic Crayola 8 pack?   Then did they start with dark brown and light brown before they came up with Ruidoso brown?

When the same color is offered across the cooperation makes, the exact same color formula has different names.