News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 Eldorado tune up kit

Started by 34577, January 06, 2024, 09:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anybody have a suggestion where I could find a good tune up kit for a 68 Eldorado 472 engine? Thanks for your help!

TJ Hopland

I don't know that anyone sells a 'kit'.   If you are talking about spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, and condenser that stuff should be readily available from regular parts sources unless you are looking for 'show quality correct'.

Standard Ignition brand has still been good for me for cap, rotor, points, and condenser.  Blue Streak if you can find it.  Avoid the T line.  Belden wires seem decent and Napa sells them among others.  Plugs stick with AC delco plain old copper.  Other brands OK too as long as they are plain old copper, don't go for anything exotic for fancy.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Forgot to add that assuming you are in the USA Rock Auto is a reasonable place to get this sort of thing.  I will often change brands depending on what other items are coming from the same location to save on shipping.  That is what the little truck icons tell you when you are looking at items.  Once you have stuff in your cart those will start to appear telling you which items are in the same warehouse. 

When you get the main stuff I will usually then add things in like oil and air filters.  They often have good filters for under $5.  No good if you had to pay $15 shipping on one but if you can add em from the same location might as well stock up.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Steve W

What TJ said!

Years ago, I had a problem getting good points, so I swithched over to the original, first-gen Pertronix points-eliminator setups, and I've never had an issue, and it's been 12 years! (knock-on-wood!).
But some folks here don't have a problem finding good points set-ups, so that's good news. Maybe they make them better now.

And if you don't already have one, maybe get a good digital timing light (one that also has a tachometer built in), a dwell meter if you're using points (some of the digital timing lights also have dwell, but I've not used one yet) and a decent vacuum gauge. It'll make tuneups a breeze...and actually kinda fun!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

kyle242gt

Quote from: Steve W on January 07, 2024, 06:46:07 PMYears ago, I had a problem getting good points, so I swithched over to the original, first-gen Pertronix points-eliminator setups, and I've never had an issue, and it's been 12 years! (knock-on-wood!).
Yep!  While trying to resuscitate my long-ignored 67 CDV, and arguing with the points, I found the PO helpfully had a Pertronix new in box in the trunk.  Stuck that sucker in and it fired right up. 

And another vote for a good digital dial-back timing light and vacuum pump/gauge. 
Kyle Hage
1967 Coupe DeVille