News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear brake hose fittings

Started by Sheparj2, January 15, 2024, 03:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheparj2

Hello,  I'm hoping someone on here may be able help.  I am using the rear end of a 1960 Cadillac in my truck.  I'm confused as to what type of fitting screws into the rear brake cylinders.  When I look in the hole it appears to be like a funnel shape.  I tried to use a standard double flare but it's leaking a bit.  Does anyone know what fitting this is?  Some have said bubble, some say banjo with a copper washer...  Thank you

The Tassie Devil(le)

From what I can recall, the 1960 rear end uses individual flexible hoses to supply fluid to each of the rear wheel cylinders which would necessitate the fitting have a copper washer to seal the hose when tightening.

Checking with Rock Auto, the front and rear flexible hoses are the same, and the end that screws into the wheel cylinder is 7/16" 20 so any banjo bolt should do to retain a non-standard hose.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

Jason, this is what the ends of the brake hose looks like.  Like Bruce said, the male threaded one uses a copper gasket to seal it.  Click on the picture showing both ends together—it is a clearer picture.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UP_5931

Daryl Chesterman

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Sheparj2

Thank you! Very much appreciated!