News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Seville: Two More Under Dash Mysteries

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, March 05, 2024, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

I found another item that I have no idea what it is.  Some pictures are attached.  It's some sort of connector and the blue bit plugs into the brown bit.  I half think the blue piece is some sort of bulb that makes blue light?  It's on a grey and white wire, which is consistent with other bulb-related things.  But why would there be a blue light?

Does anyone know?

I also have an empty connector that I can't find anything to plug it into.  I've scoured all of my wiring diagrams but I can't find a three port connector for green/green, blue, yellow.

This one's more of a long shot for someone to know, but I thought I'd put it out there too.

Thanks!

Gary

76Caddy

First and second pictures are the photocell for the twilight sentential.  It is supposed to be in the left speaker grill, it is what picks up the light conditions and turns the lights on or off.  Remove the top part of the dash and you will find a small hole in the speaker housing, plug it back into it.  Third picture could be the plug for an option your car didn't come with.

Tim 
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Hi Tim,

Thanks a ton for the info.  I had no idea that the photocell looked like that.  Maybe that explains why my twilight sentinel hasn't worked since I owned the car, ha.

I just finished putting the lower dash back on which was a real you know what.  Stuff is so jammed under that dash.  Now I can have the joy of taking the top part of the dash off, ha.

I love having the Seville, but there's a lot that is mysterious (including things that didn't come out of the factory the way I'm finding them).

Thanks again!

Gary

76Caddy

Your welcome Gary.

When I acquired my Seville, the lights would not turn off in the daytime, so I removed the dash and found that the photocell had come out and fallen down behind the dash where it was dark all the time thus making my lights stay on all the time.  Top dash is easy to remove, took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

Tim 
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Seville Life

The Owner's Manual and the workshop manual, the '77 version for most '78 things explain the wiring.. The other book for electrical work is the 1978 Cadillac Seville Troubleshooting book, this is a life-saver where Seville wiring is concerned.
Paul Bedford

I have all of the manuals and have been using them to figure out the wiring for sure.  I have not heard of the troubleshooting manual, but I will for sure look for one now!

Thanks.

Gary