News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil Pump & Distributer Gear & Shaft

Started by 49 Caddy, April 29, 2024, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Starting to re-assemble my 49 Caddy 331 cu. in. motor.  Machine shop put short block together, including the camshaft.  Can someone please enlighten me on installing the oil pump & distributer gear and shaft.  How do you install the gear and shaft without dropping something inside the engine?  I did not take it apart before gong to the shop and my manual does not step by step it.  All I have is a cross-view of the motor.

Jay Friedman

If memory serves, I think the best way is to first install the oil pump at the bottom.  Then install the distributor gear from the top. The following is a quote from "Manufacturing Information" a '49 factory publication: "The distributor drive gear should be installed in such a way that when the Number 1 piston is at top dead center on compression the flat on the oil pump drive shaft is on the right and approximately 15 degrees clockwise with center line of the engine. .... Be sure the gear seats freely and that there is a slight amount of backlash with the camshaft gear".

Good luck.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

49 Caddy

Thanks for the response, Jay.  I think I understand what you are saying.  Appears I have to insert the gear before I bolt the valley cover on. 

Rossoroo

Whoever last worked on my 331 did not follow the recommended procedure that Jay just posted and now the clocking of my plug leads are out of whack and it drives my inner OCD crazy.
49-6269 My First Caddy