News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Interior color identification

Started by oregonjam, March 12, 2024, 09:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonjam

Hey everyone,

I had a headliner made for a 1960 series 62 coupe based on the trim tag. The color that arrived is a very bright turquoise. Not even close to what the interior is.

First: can someone say what the interior color and body color is if the trim tag reads the following?

STYLE60 6287 BODYFW 2524
TRIM 35
PAINT 29
ACC. EHXIN

The interior is a blue not a bright fluorescent turquoise.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

59-in-pieces

John,

Would you please post some pics. of the exterior, interior, and existing headliner.

Please also confirm - "STYLE60 6287".

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

Paint 29 is Arroyo Turquois metallic
Trim 35 is Fawn Cortina Cloth and Fawn coated fabric

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

oregonjam

Apologies as I miss typed the trim.

It is trim 36 which I now see is turquoise Chilton cloth and turquoise coated fabric.

Attached is an image of the headliner color I was sent and one of my interior. I can't imagine this is the correct color but could use verification.

Does anyone have an example of turquoise cloth they can share?
Interior:
https://ibb.co/dD8tMc2

New Headliner:
https://ibb.co/XytTG84

If I am not uploading images correctly please let me know.
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

Clewisiii

From a Cadillac 61 trim book.IMG_20240313_174620947.jpg

From a 61 upholstery shop reference book with Detroit numbers. I don't know if this is the correct headlining. But it was the closest headlining cloth in the book.

IMG_20240313_174949586.jpgIMG_20240313_175029489.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

59-in-pieces

John,
Still baffled by "6287" - "87".

The pic of the existing interior is too dark to know if it is really the original materials or maybe redone at some time in the past.
But they certainly don't look turquois if code 36, or faun if code 35.
And the colors from the 61 upholstery book are too light compared to your interior pics.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Michael Petti

I have owned several older cars in my life. I thought the interiors were one color and upon cleaning they were another.  Try cleaning a section of the headliner and or the upholstery. 
A shop vac can do the job on a small section. Rub the shampoo in with a soft brush. You might be surprised at the result.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

On Series 62 closed body styles, the headlining material is a textured cloth material. On DeVilles, "coated fabric" was used a/k/a vinyl. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

oregonjam

Thank you all,

Some clarifications on the above.
- The interior does not appear to have ever been replaced. (grandpa Owned and seats under plastic protectors since 1962. The photo is very dark because I have the car protected while I work on the undercarriage restoration and cant easily remove it all.
- The headliner is a textured fabric which I believe is called Doty pattern.
- The trim code reads 36. I'm all thumbs when typing on a phone. 35 was an error.
- I tried to clean the headliner but it was too brittle and easily torn. It got worse when wetted.
- In areas not exposed the headliner looks like the '61 example shared as far as color but with the Doty/ dash pattern.

- The trim code reads exactly:
STYLE60-6237 BODYFW  2524
TRIM 36      PAINT 29
TOP    ACC. EHXN

This all helps a lot as I did not know the one code was applied differently to a Deville.
It confirms enough for me that the Turquoise Chilton color is not the bright florescent Turquoise I shared on the linked image. The headliner that was produced is beautiful, just not the right color at all. I will go back to the seamstress and share the bad news.

Thank you all for assisting with this!
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

59-in-pieces

John,

Attached are 2 images.

The first image of color swatches was scanned from the 1960 Upholstery Book.
Any type of copying, printing, or scanning is not guaranteed to depict the colors exactly as the original source.

The second image is a table showing the colors used within the passenger cabin of the various colored surfaces, including the headliner.

I would suggest that since you intend to replace the headliner, remove the metal trim pieces around the headliner and cut out as large a piece of the fabric, which was behind the trim, and compare it to the new sample you bought.
You should know immediately if it matches.
If it does not, you can supply a small piece of your fabric to your supplier for comparison and possibly a proper replacement.

Hope these help, but understand that the likelihood of finding enough original fabric for the headliner is slim to none.
"Close enough" to the color is good in horseshoes, hand grenades, and headliners.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher