News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Message to Mike 19861

Started by Mike, February 07, 2005, 07:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hi Mike - You appear to be an authority on the board.  My 85 Eldorado (83K) travels smoothly on the highway at hi speeds, however, the car diesels when i come to a stop and the rear end bucks up.  i took it to a tranny place, and the mechanic suggested that i replace the tranny FILTER and put the old fluid back in.  the old fluid has a clean pink/purple colour and is not burnt but i have never changed it in the six years that i have owned the car.  what are your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike #19861

This sounds like the typical Torque Convertor Clutch solenoid problem. There is a solenoid that traps fluid in the TCC which in turn locks up the convertor. Normal debris accumulation can prevent the solenoid from releasing, leaving the TCC engaged. This feels like you are coming to a stop in a manual transmission equipped car without depressing the clutch.

The part is easily accessable by removing the transmission pan. There is also a high gear switch in series to the solenoid that should be replaced at the same time. And, while the pan is off, replace the filter. DO NOT reuse the oil fluid!

I believe the solenoid is still availble from GM, or a Delco outlet. I would also recommend using an AC Delco filter kit and fluid.

Mike

Mike

Thanks.  The tranny guy indicated that the old fluid probably contains "clutch material" that helps the tranny shift, clean fluid would possible result in transmission failure.  The tranny shifts nicely except for 3-4 up and down on highway grades when the 140 HORSES are kicking in.  

Thanks,

Mike

Porter 21919

Dont forget the frequent coolant changes and the manifold kit.

Porter