News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1981 V864 Engine

Started by David Weir, July 08, 2006, 02:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Weir

I have recently purchased a 1980/81 Hess and Eisenhardt Le Cabriolet and have found out it has a L62 V8-6-4 engine. Among many questions I have I would like to know if it is possible to overide the computer controlled engine management and maintain reasonable performance. Would appreciate any contact from persons with experience of this engine. I am keen to keep it as original as possible even with its associated reputation.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

You can lock the V8-6-4 system in V8 mode by cutting one of the two wires coming out of the transmission sensor on the drivers side of the transmission case. There is a black wire and a brown wire. Cut the black wire.  This keeps you in V8 all the time and makes quite a nice running car.

The additional problem you may then want to correct, or be aware of is the plastic rocker covers (valve covers).  These were prone to leaking oil onto the exhaust manifolds.  Since these house the funky valve disengagement solenoids (four), there is no acceptable replacement. However, once you  have disconnected the transmission wire, these are not needed anymore. Find yourself another 1981 motor in a junk yard and remove the non-solenoid rockers. Replace the solenoid rockers on your motor with the non-solenoid (make sure you get the shorter bolts with them, a one-bolt mount ) and you can now put on any 472-500-425 metal valve covers that wont leak oil. Plus you get the advantage of individual roller rockers.

David Weir

Thank you very much for the information, I will pass it on to the mechanic doing the work. It appears that my car is only 1 of 2 that made their way to England.
Regards and thanks again.

johnny wulf

as the mechanic working on this car i would also like to say thanks ! not too many of these engines made it over here and information was virtualy impossible to obtain . i take back all i ever said about computers and the web !!! they are worth having ! thanx again

Jamie

Hi David...If I could add one suggestion to the responses you have already received...I have an 81 SDV with the same V8-6-4 engine..At some point a switch was installed under the hood which allows me to either run it on all 8 or run it as it was designed (which I sometimes like to do). I am not exactly sure how the switch is wired but I would imagine it was put on the black wire referred to by Tim.

Good luck
Jamie

David Weir

Hi Jamie,
thanks for the reply. I am keen to keep the engine as original as possible. I hope to install a switch once the other problems are resolved. I think it is important that the engine, with all its faults, is kept running. How does your car perform with the V8 option activated?
Regards, David