News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

"The Modifieds"

Started by Johnny F #662, August 06, 2007, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Wenger CLC #1800

Just a few thoughts on modifieds:

First; Strictly speaking, when a new car gets new tires or a new battery, it is no longer factory original. Restoration itself is modification as the paint, upholstery etc. is no longer original. Also in the process of restoration, some things are upgraded in the interest of reliability, safety and performance, such as Doug's transmission or starter ground studs, radial tires, new wiring, sleeved brake cyls., DOT 5 brake fluid,etc., etc.

Second: "I modified it to save it from the crusher". I'll agree with Doug that I don't buy that reasoning. Most of my cars should have gone to the crusher many years ago as the "before" pictures in the Self-Starter articles over the years can attest. They were restored but not modified as are the modifieds referred to in this thread. Am I to believe that the beautiful '34 and '35 Cadillacs at last week-end's Grand National were going to the crusher and couldn't be restored?

Third: One of the big problems with Modifieds is how to judge them!  It is completely different from the cars that are restored or are in original condition. Our St.Louis Region addresses this problem at our annual show, we have never had judging since our first show in 1972. We have had Cadillac pick-ups and station wagons, a terrific Barris custom '54 Eldorado,  a 1919 that was towed,  and all sorts of other Cadillacs and LaSalles. Everybody has a good time with no hard feelings about the judging results.

Fourth: No good definition of "modified" exists; GM modified its own cars such as the 1940's and 1941's done for Alfred Sloan, C.E. Wilson, Charles Kettering, Albert Bradley etc. Body builders and dealers such as Derham, Coachcraft and Don Lee Cadillac modified cars for customers. In the seventies, Cadillac dealers did great business with accessory grille shells, Super Fly headlights, chrome trunk straps and 'El Deora" nameplates and other tasteless stuff.

Fifth; An original car is one that was built by the factory to its own specifications, the modified car has been changed because of someone's personal whims, ideas or desires. Some of the modern modifieds are really nice and some are downright absolutely senseless!

Terry

Bob Diederich

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on August 07, 2007, 10:25:47 PM
:D  Talking about "modifieds" this evening I was reading a magazine ad by The Cadillac LaSalle Club - Western Reserve Region (Ohio).  Ad was promoting an upcoming show on Sunday 8/19/07 at the Legacy Village, Lyndhurst, Ohio (Cleveland Suburb).  Here is what the ad states:

"Pre-1977 Cadillacs only, please - All Commercial, Professional, Custom, Modified and Rod Cadillacs are welcome. No-Non Cadillacs will be permitted on display. Fire Extinguishers are required for display & judging - No For Sale signs permitted on display Cadillacs"

I guess the Cadillac LaSalle Club of NE Ohio has learned that acceptance of modified Cadillacs isn't so bad after all.  I am certain that their membership is substantially larger than if the club  allowed original Cadillacs and LaSalle owners only.  I am also certain that the attendance at this show will be improved as a result of their very liberal restrictions as to what type of Cadillacs and LaSalles are permitted.  By welcoming all Cadillacs, they have taken a step forward that will enhance their club and increase the number of members.  Times are changing and all of us should be willing to accept these changes.

For clarification, I have a 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe that is in process of a total original restoration.  I appreciate having the opportunity to restore such a fine vehicle and am keeping it 100% original, because that is what I want.  I like restored original cars, but also like to see modified versions as well and I certainly appreciate the efforts of many members of the younger generation that are modifying their Cadillacs.

Weather permitting, I will be attending the show at Legacy Village and I will be checking out all of the older Cadillacs and LaSalles and will also be checking out any Cadillacs that were modified.   With a show of this type, visitors can browse the cars and concentrate on whatever interest they have.  As a result, the show will have many more cars, have better attendance and just might bring some young blood into the hobby.

Fred Zwicker

Bob Diederich

Fred Zwicker,
Thank you for the kind words concerning the acceptance of modified Cadillacs at our upcoming LEGACY OF CADILLAC SHOW at LEGACY VILLAGE, located at the corner of Cedar and Richmond in Lyndhurst, Ohio. The show will be held on August 19 ,2007 and the show hours are 10 am  to 4 pm .
I am  the current Director of the WRR-CLC Club and although I  prefer not to modify my cars I appriciate the engineering  and great amount of work that goes into some of the modiified cars. I think there is room for both original and modified cars in the Cadillac world. Often times Cadillacs that are modified can be safer and more comfortable to drive than some of the older ones were, when they were new.
As this hobby continues some people that would like to have an older Cadillac, that have neither the time or resources  to restore and old car to original standards, can find more resonably priced  modern parts and drive trains from late model cadillacs and retro-fit their older cars. When all is said and done the car will still carry the Cadillac Marque.
Registration day of show is $15.00.
Bob Diederich
CLC 16618
Director Western Reserve Region Cadillac LaSalle Club

Johnny F #662

[size=210pt]Allow me to post my thoughts[/size]

Just a few thoughts on modifieds:

First; Strictly speaking, when a new car gets new tires or a new battery, it is no longer factory original. Restoration itself is modification as the paint, upholstery etc. is no longer original. Also in the process of restoration, some things are upgraded in the interest of reliability, safety and performance, such as Doug's transmission or starter ground studs, radial tires, new wiring, sleeved brake cyls., DOT 5 brake fluid,etc., etc.

While it is true that once a part is changed, the car is no longer "factory original, but there is a big difference in replacing with a "factory original" part, rather then a part from another make.  In my '85 Eldo, I have replaced the factory Delco battery with a Pep Boys Energizer battery.  While I may lose points in being judged, I don't think you can call my car a modified.  Of course this leads us to the question "How far from being factory original does a car have to be before its considered modified"  I am sure our judging committee will come up with the correct answer.

Second: "I modified it to save it from the crusher". I'll agree with Doug that I don't buy that reasoning. Most of my cars should have gone to the crusher many years ago as the "before" pictures in the Self-Starter articles over the years can attest. They were restored but not modified as are the modifieds referred to in this thread. Am I to believe that the beautiful '34 and '35 Cadillacs at last week-end's Grand National were going to the crusher and couldn't be restored?

Yes those beautiful '34 and '35 Cadillacs could have been restored to the condition of their past glory, but would they have been?  Would there have been individuals that would have taken the time and money to restore them?  So I ask you, was it better to have modified these cars, or let them possibly just rust away forever and eventually end up in the dreaded crusher?

Third: One of the big problems with Modifieds is how to judge them!  It is completely different from the cars that are restored or are in original condition. Our St.Louis Region addresses this problem at our annual show, we have never had judging since our first show in 1972. We have had Cadillac pick-ups and station wagons, a terrific Barris custom '54 Eldorado,  a 1919 that was towed,  and all sorts of other Cadillacs and LaSalles. Everybody has a good time with no hard feelings about the judging results.

Ah the subject of judging!  >:D  Here I am with you 100%  It has always been my contention that judging has caused more problems and hard feelings then necessary.  People pull up with their individual "Pride & Joys", full of enthusiam, only to have their car picked apart and be told whats wrong with it!  Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Fourth: No good definition of "modified" exists; GM modified its own cars such as the 1940's and 1941's done for Alfred Sloan, C.E. Wilson, Charles Kettering, Albert Bradley etc. Body builders and dealers such as Derham, Coachcraft and Don Lee Cadillac modified cars for customers. In the seventies, Cadillac dealers did great business with accessory grille shells, Super Fly headlights, chrome trunk straps and 'El Deora" nameplates and other tasteless stuff.

Yes Cadillac in the past "modified" cars, I believe they even painted the Mary Kay cars, but the fact remains the way the car came from the "factory" and was delivered to the dealer is still considered "factory orginial".  Of course the matter of how the car left the dealer and was delivered to the customer is different kettle of fish.  Consider this, at the recent Grand National, a gentleman had a car that had the dealer add ons, such as you described, and since he had the original dealer invoice showing that the car was delivered with the add ons, he lost no points.  Your call

Fifth; An original car is one that was built by the factory to its own specifications, the modified car has been changed because of someone's personal whims, ideas or desires. Some of the modern modifieds are really nice and some are downright absolutely senseless!

But  the question remains how much change does a car have to have before it is considered modified?  As for accepting them into the club, I would point out that even this message board has a "modify" button! ::)

Stampie

I don't think you find anyone from the Modified Chapter worries about judging.  We tend to enjoy working on our cars and hanging out together.  I know of three members of the Chapter that brought their Cadillacs to the GN.  The white 60 Flattop was mine, The black 59 6 window was John's, and the yellow 71 SDV was Geoff's.  All of them are pretty standard and factory correct cars.  In fact I wish Geoff had gotten his 71 judged for preservation as I was amazed at how nice and original it is.  My point is that we're not all evil guys hell bend on destroying rare cars.

I have only heard one person use the save from the crusher arguement and that person actually did save his 67 from the crusher.  He also is doing a pretty stock restore on it to the best of my knowledge. 

There are varying degrees of modifieds.  To the extreme we have Joe and Sled.  I think their cars and craftsmanship are exceptional.  Could they had used those same skills to restore their cars?  Sure but they own the cars not the guy shaking his head muttering about the sky falling.

Doug sorry for calling you out but I would like to know where the line is drawn?  For example I plan on putting Sabers and a factory tripower intake on my 60.  Is that ok because they are factory parts?  Would putting a period edmunds tripower intake on cross the line?

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Michael Stamps on August 08, 2007, 01:16:29 PM
I don't think you find anyone from the Modified Chapter worries about judging.  We tend to enjoy working on our cars and hanging out together. 

That's the impression I got from chatting with one of the owners of a modified.  He wasn't concerned about judging at all.  He said he already had a garage full of trophies!  He said he just enjoyed being around other car enthusiasts, and when he travelled to shows, it like to do it with comfort and dependability.

Sled

I don't think you find anyone from the Modified Chapter worries about judging.  We tend to enjoy working on our cars and hanging out together.

There are varying degrees of modifieds.  To the extreme we have Joe and Sled.  I think their cars and craftsmanship are exceptional.  Could they had used those same skills to restore their cars?  Sure but they own the cars not the guy shaking his head muttering about the sky falling.

Stampie

Thanks for the kind words brother.

I dont care about judging, all i care about it fitting in with my other CLC brothers.

On a side note, again the guys from my local chapter (Potomac) Welcomed me with open arms... Thanks guys, im going to finish up my info stuff to send to you tomorrow.
1950 Cad. 500 bb. Air ride

CLC# 23491

Porter

I have only heard one person use the save from the crusher argument and that person actually did save his 67 from the crusher.  He also is doing a pretty stock restore on it to the best of my knowledge. 

Stampie

Well, my free 85 Eldo with a nice repaint sat out in a field for two years. Floors all wet from a leaky windshield. Got it running with the rod knock, drove it home a mile and the HT 4100 let go right in the driveway. If you get it for "free" I guarantee you are saving it from the crusher. They could have called a wrecking yard and got paid $ 50 to have them haul it away. Mike is a factory trained Cadillac mechanic well versed in the fine art of repairing HT 4100 engines under warranty. He will build a 4.5L version with perhaps a roller cam. A more powerful engine that will actually hold up under use. Will look like a HT 4100 though so the judges will never know. Came all the way from Canada to Maine to fetch his new prize "saved from the crusher".

My free 67 CDV sat outside for 5 years enduring Maine winters. House was getting sold and that car would have been junked. With only 45K on the odometer I figured for a $ 150 flatbed charge what the heck. Leaky rear window rotted out under the rear seat and rear floorboards, etc. and of course the rear window opening was shot. Got it home, pulled the plugs and soaked down the cylinders, got the engine turned over easily by hand. An auxiliary gas can, fresh oil and filter, clean spark plugs and she runs sweet. Much of the sheetmetal work has already been done but the car has severe body rot but a solid frame. Only a nutcase would salvage this car but tough to work while wearing a straight jacket. Has new brakes now all around and strut rod bushings. Just a project car to hone my mechanical skills with. I have a mig welder for the sheetmetal and I do my own autobody work-did my 66 CDV and the vinyl top too. The hobby for me is the DIY part.

My clean 66 CDV will be all stock sans wrong color: paint - vinyl top and interior. Much nicer than any factory 66 color scheme IMO. More like a 60 Eldo color scheme now: what I wanted.

Restoring anything other than a rare convertible etc. will yield a very poor ROI if you ever need to sell.

Plenty of pictures here: http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/

If you restore factory better find a car with colors you want.

Porter

Porter

Adding a picture of my 67 CDV.

Will bring the entire project in on a budget of $ 1,500 and make a nice driver out of her.

The rims were just about touching the dirt. She's a gem though, runs smooth and strong. The type of car a sane person would part out. Was driven in Ma. winters and that rotted out the lower qtr. panels and the usual rear body mounts and trunk supports. Made a nice condo for the mice too.

Porter

Big Fins

My name is John, and I'm the Secretary/Treasurer of the Modified Chapter of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club. And, like our President, damn proud to be a member of such a great group of people.

Why is it that no matter where you read on this board you find people ragging on the "Modifieds?" You won't hear anything about the '49ers, or the "Vertical Headlight" crowd. Even the Allante'(sp?) people with their noses scraping the ceiling. One even moved his car because I parked a sweet '59 next to him. He had to be with his own kind. The self-centered elitist group.   :-\

Now I go to bed early and arise early. While most of you "Purists" were sleeping off the night before I was looking at your cars, and closer than you would want them to be looked at. Do you people have any idea that over 80% of the cars in that parking lot were modified. I'm talking interiors, tires, rims, lighting, suspensions. Yes, I laid on my back with a flashlight while joking with the guards. There were very few "Original" cars there. Sans the "Trailer Queens" that no one could see. Out of the trailers...pictures taken...and back under the cover of darkness. Only if you were lucky and walked around the property would you be fortunate enough to maybe see one of these. Whats up with that? Aren't the cars required to be on the show field during a GN, during certain times? You can use a brush to clean out the sand on the tire treads. There wasn't a drop of rain in sight. All you had to do was look at the weather radar to see the nearest rain was 300 miles offshore.

And what is with judging in the dark. Come on get real. Had I had known they were going to have the judging in an underground garage in the dark, with the judges being asphyxiated by exhaust of poorly tuned cars, I would have entered mine, and taken a trophy also.
When I had 2 judges in the elevator with me and they were a captive audience, they couldn't get out of there fast enough when I brought forth these questions. Their false teeth almost fell out they were stammering so hard.
It almost looked like an American election was going on. He with the most $$$ pay off wins.

The people were wonderful, the hotel was great, the show was great, the food sucked, but that is a whole 'nother thread.

Come on people...We are all here for the good of the cars we represent. If you pick on one Chapter, you pick on them all. Let's act like adults and enjoy what we have worked so hard to achieve. The joys of driving the finest car ever built in the world. Cadillac.

I'm off my soap-box..for now.

Look at the picture. Looks good in the dark huh?
It looks just as nice in the sunlight !

Fins

BadJack

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on August 08, 2007, 12:17:45 PM
[size=210pt]Allow me to post my thoughts[/size]

Second: "I modified it to save it from the crusher". I'll agree with Doug that I don't buy that reasoning.

I have heard this comment several times now.  Consider this:

A couple years ago I agreed to take a 51 Sedan as partial payment for some
work I was doing for a guy on his 55 coupe.  I allowed $3500 for the car
from pictures and his discription.  When I went to pick up the car, I
realized he misrepresented it.  My fault.  The paint was cracking, and
peeling.  Rust and bondo were bubbling up from underneath.  The entire
braking system was shot.  The engine had a rod knock.  Exhaust was shot.
Interior was old and worn out.  Glass cracked.  Heater and radio and clock
inopperative.  Bad chrome.  Missaligned fenders and doors due to previous
accidents.  The only thing that was good were the tires.

If I do all the work myself, rebuild the engine, strip-repair-paint the
body, replate the chrome, replace the glass, fix the clock-radio-heater
etc., re-upholster and recarpet the interior, rebuild the brakes...
everything the car needs to be restored, I would have in excess of $20,000
invested.  Now if I want to repay myself for any of the work and turn a
little profit I'll have to sell the car for around $30,000.  If I made it
a true "show car", it would be more.

How many people would spend that kind of money on a 51 sedan?  So what do
I do with the car?  It was worth nothing the way it sat.  I could make a
few bucks parting out the pieces that someone could use on a coupe or
convert, but then what happens to the rest of the car?  Yard art?

Instead, I could make it into something that's fun to drive and look at.
I chose the latter.

I don't care what others think, I like it.  And I don't care about having
anyone judge it.  Isn't it better to have another old Caddy on the road rather
than crushed or rotting away to nothing?
Joe

BadJack

I couldn't resist posting a couple more of Elvira.

BJ

Joe Abernathy #17524
Joe

Big Fins

Nice touch Joe.

Elvira takes 1st Place.

Fins

Porter

"I couldn't resist posting a couple more of Elvira."

BJ

Joe,

You did such a nice job on that car you just earned the latest edition Jim Bobs hat to be forwarded ASAP. In addition to your "Modified Chapter Redneck of the Year Award" you would have received at Savannah if not for a mechanical water pump failure. But UPS will be delivering that soon enough. LOL

Elvira would put these cable TV car modifier clowns to shame with their unlimited budgets.

Only thing you could have done with that car was modify it ( other than parting it out) and melding a 76 Cadillac front clip with 500 CID drivetrain with the 51 would make Harley Earl  or Bill Mitchell proud. Everything they ever designed or built was modified.

Others here should know about your Pebble Beach resto work on classic Cadillac's though, and your respect for restorable classic cars that can justify the cost of the resto. It's called ROI unless you are a DIY'er like me or you that can eat the labor costs for our own projects.

http://www.abernathyrestoration.com/

Either of us would only resto a classic worthy of a Concours resto. My name isn't Rockefeller either. I don't have $$$ to burn in the fireplace on a soild Plain Jane car like my 66 CDV. Just happens to be what I own, daily driver for two years back in 89 I bought for $ 3,500 with 66K on the odometer, has 89K now. Under resto ever since, getting done right. Has sat for years though, who cares ? She's a classic and a project car hopefully done for the 08 GN.

Porter

Jeff Hansen

Folks,

I am posting this simultaneously on the CLC and Modified Chapter forums.

The topic of modified cars in the CLC is one that sparks great passion on both sides of the topic.  There are no right or wrong answers and thank heavens we have the ability to even debate the topic! 

All I ask is that whoever wishes to participate in the debate please remember that we are all in the Cadillac hobby together as “Fins” said.  Please be respectful of one another and, please, no more personal attacks â€" either direct or indirect.  We don’t need to resort to name calling.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Johnny F #662

My name is John, and I'm the Secretary/Treasurer of the Modified Chapter of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club. And, like our President, damn proud to be a member of such a great group of people.

[size=2Great group of people?  Then why, starting with the next paragraph, did you start making derogatory comments about some of the members?0pt][/size]

Why is it that no matter where you read on this board you find people ragging on the "Modifieds?"

[size=2Ragging?  Not the way I see it.  First of all I think the overwhelming majority here are very much for the inclusion of modifieds, and most have praised the ones that were at the Grand National.0pt][/size]

You won't hear anything about the '49ers, or the "Vertical Headlight" crowd.

[size=2Not apples with apples.  The other "crowds" have choose to restore their cars to original condition rather then modify them.0pt][/size]

Even the Allante'(sp?) snobs with their noses scraping the ceiling. One even moved his car because I parked a sweet '59 next to him. He had to be with his own kind. The self-centered elitist group.

Again painting with a broad brush.  I chatted with one owner, and he was most cordial, and gave me more insight about the Allante model.  I don't think they are any more elitist then any other group that has like models of Cadillacs.    

Now I go to bed early and arise early. While most of you "Purists" were sleeping off the night before I was looking at your cars, and closer than you would want them to be looked at.

You certainly have a flair for the dramatics.  Did you really feel the need to have to look at the cars in a covert manner?  Maybe its just me, but in over 25 years of being in the club, and attending more car shows, then my wife would like to admit to, it has always been my experience that owners are more then willing to talk about their pride and joys.  Many will tell you the whole history of the car and point out any errors.  

Do you people have any idea that over 80% of the cars in that parking lot were modified. I'm talking interiors, tires, rims, lighting, suspensions. Yes, I laid on my back with a flashlight while joking with the guards. There were very few "Original" cars there.

Using that criteria for original, I would go so far as to say that I doubt if there was any "original" cars at the Grand National, or anywhere on the planet for that matter.  I think I can safely say, not one car exist with the 'original" air in its tires!

Sans the "Trailer Queens" that no one could see. Out of the trailers...pictures taken...and back under the cover of darkness. Only if you were lucky and walked around the property would you be fortunate enough to maybe see one of these. Whats up with that? Aren't the cars required to be on the show field during a GN, during certain times?

Yes they are, and as a matter of fact I spoke with an owner of one the trailer queens and they said if it was raining the car would not have left the trailer.   I say that if a person wants to spend untold thousands to restore a car, only to trailer it around to win trophies worth a few bucks, then God bless them, and while he is at it, bless the people that choose to modify their cars.  The CLC is non denominational, they accept all Cadillacs regardless of use or looks.

You can use a brush to clean out the sand on the tire treads. There wasn't a drop of rain in sight. All you had to do was look at the weather radar to see the nearest rain was 300 miles offshore.

True, but since it was raining the last 2-3 days, and the day started off a little overcast, I guess the powers to be wanted to play it safe.

And what is with judging in the dark. Come on get real. Had I had known they were going to have the judging in an underground garage in the dark, with the judges being asphyxiated by exhaust of poorly tuned cars, I would have entered mine, and taken a trophy also.

I am with you on this one!  The judging situation was a disaster.  With all the refinement the CLC tried to do with its judging methods, they threw the book out the window and it ended up being a disaster.  I registered my car to be judged, but when I saw how it was going to be judged, I only displayed it, then took a nice walk with my wife, down by the river front, and had a delightful lunch.

When I had 2 judges in the elevator with me and they were a captive audience, they couldn't get out of there fast enough when I brought forth these questions. Their false teeth almost fell out they were stammering so hard.

Whoa there!  Kind of nasty making a comment like that about men that had choose to "modify" their original teeth!

It almost looked like an American election was going on. He with the most $$$ pay off wins.

What else is new?  $$$ determines everything in life!  Have you ever heard of a trophy wife?

The people were wonderful, the hotel was great, the show was great, the food sucked, but that is a whole 'nother thread.

Now you have gone too far!!!!!  Where did you eat?  The hotel?  Everyone knows you don't eat hotel food!!!!  The Awards Banquet Buffet?   Being a Florida resident I know something about buffets, and I must say that while the buffet wasn't comparable to some of the ones in my area, it was more then adequate!

Come on people...We are all here for the good of the cars we represent. If you pick on one Chapter, you pick on them all.

Is your name Charlie Brown?

"Whys everybody  picking on me?"

Let's act like adults and enjoy what we have worked so hard to achieve.

Oh Ok, I get it now.  If we voice our opinions we are children.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Jeff Hansen on August 08, 2007, 11:32:25 PM
Folks,

I am posting this simultaneously on the CLC and Modified Chapter forums.

The topic of modified cars in the CLC is one that sparks great passion on both sides of the topic.  There are no right or wrong answers and thank heavens we have the ability to even debate the topic! 

All I ask is that whoever wishes to participate in the debate please remember that we are all in the Cadillac hobby together as “Fins” said.  Please be respectful of one another and, please, no more personal attacks â€" either direct or indirect.  We don’t need to resort to name calling.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

Kind of ironic that as far as I can see, the only person that made personal attacks was Fins! 

"Snobbish Allante owners"

"Guys with false teeth"

What's next?  Guys like myself that are follicly impaired?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on August 08, 2007, 11:59:54 PM
"Guys with false teeth"
What's next?  Guys like myself that are follicly impaired?

I resemble that remark, with a few other things thrown in, but seriously, I think we should all calm down a bit, and realise that we all like one thing, and that is Cadillacs, and LaSalles, well, two things, but the alternative isn't worth thinking about.

At least we can comment, and breathe when we want to.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Guidematic

Quote from: Porter on August 08, 2007, 06:54:11 PM

I have only heard one person use the save from the crusher argument and that person actually did save his 67 from the crusher.  He also is doing a pretty stock restore on it to the best of my knowledge. 

Stampie

Well, my free 85 Eldo with a nice repaint sat out in a field for two years. Floors all wet from a leaky windshield. Got it running with the rod knock, drove it home a mile and the HT 4100 let go right in the driveway. If you get it for "free" I guarantee you are saving it from the crusher. They could have called a wrecking yard and got paid $ 50 to have them haul it away. Mike is a factory trained Cadillac mechanic well versed in the fine art of repairing HT 4100 engines under warranty. He will build a 4.5L version with perhaps a roller cam. A more powerful engine that will actually hold up under use. Will look like a HT 4100 though so the judges will never know. Came all the way from Canada to Maine to fetch his new prize "saved from the crusher".

My free 67 CDV sat outside for 5 years enduring Maine winters. House was getting sold and that car would have been junked. With only 45K on the odometer I figured for a $ 150 flatbed charge what the heck. Leaky rear window rotted out under the rear seat and rear floorboards, etc. and of course the rear window opening was shot. Got it home, pulled the plugs and soaked down the cylinders, got the engine turned over easily by hand. An auxiliary gas can, fresh oil and filter, clean spark plugs and she runs sweet. Much of the sheetmetal work has already been done but the car has severe body rot but a solid frame. Only a nutcase would salvage this car but tough to work while wearing a straight jacket. Has new brakes now all around and strut rod bushings. Just a project car to hone my mechanical skills with. I have a mig welder for the sheetmetal and I do my own autobody work-did my 66 CDV and the vinyl top too. The hobby for me is the DIY part.

My clean 66 CDV will be all stock sans wrong color: paint - vinyl top and interior. Much nicer than any factory 66 color scheme IMO. More like a 60 Eldo color scheme now: what I wanted.

Restoring anything other than a rare convertible etc. will yield a very poor ROI if you ever need to sell.

Plenty of pictures here: http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/

If you restore factory better find a car with colors you want.

Porter

Back on the saved from the crusher line.

Yes, my '85 Eldo would have gone to the crusher. Not a lot of interest out there for any 80's Cadillac with a blown HT4100. It will be a fun car to "refurbish" Modified yes, but modified in the way I like to do them. Using parts from like era cars to make the one I have better. Thanks to Porter who offered me the car. It also made for a nice trip and a great weekend that we spent at Porter's home. It was a blast.

The '67 of Porter's would defineatley gone to the crusher. Now he is having so much fun with it.

Also, I saved another. A nice solid '88 Eldo Biarittz. It was doomed because the dash display did not work. A $25 CPS from the wreckers fixed it. Now I am enjoying the car immensely like I never thought I ever would enjoy these baby Eldos as a daily driver. I also plan on doing a few mods to it as time and money permit. Mainly wheels and a better induction/exhaust systerm. The 4.5 under the hood runs strong.

Now I also see many cars that are in such state of disrepair that it takes anyone with a stout constitution to even get them running perform miraculous and beautiful restorations on them. This even more remarkable that many do all the work themselves with no farming out of the work.

In many past posts on this forum I have stated that these cars are our own to enjoy as we see fit. Personally, I feel a car should be driven to be enjoyed, and have little regard for the concept of a trailer queen, but I just like anyone else, will stand and admire the level of perfection these cars have attained. But typically they are the rare and the most desireable of the genre.

But, there is one thing that I stongly admonish. Taking a nice original car and cutting it up to make some sort of a rod out of it. One thing if it is a tired old beater that needs much work. For example, the Cadillac that Coddington used to make Cadzilla out of. It started out as a beautiful, solid original '49 Series 62 Sedanette. That to me is blasphemy.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Sled

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on August 08, 2007, 11:40:18 PM
The CLC is non denominational, they accept all Cadillacs regardless of use or looks

Then why arent you showing it?
1950 Cad. 500 bb. Air ride

CLC# 23491