News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac Series 63 Sedan

Started by J. Russo, January 30, 2021, 12:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I purchased this Cadillac in September of 2020.

I'm in the process of an ongoing restoration which is pretty extensive. It was converted to 12 volts at some point. I converted it back to 6 volts, positive ground.

The body is in very good condition. The interior looks ok, but it's very old and needs totally redone. These things will be addressed over the next few years as my finances allow.

Some of the things I have addressed are as follows:

1.    Removed exhaust and intake manifolds as well as valve covers. Had Exhaust Manifolds blasted and
       repainted. Installed new gaskets for items mentioned.
2.    Stripped paint from the engine down to bare metal and repainted Lasalle Green. Had at least 3 coats/colors, Blue, Orange and Green.
3.    Repainted the engine compartment with Bill Hirsch Black Chassis Paint.
4.    Rebuilt fuel pump and carburetor.
5.    Replaced water pump with new.
6.    Replaced all vacuum and fuel lines for fuel pump, carburetor, distributor vacuum and wiper system.
7.    Engine tuned and running great.
8.    New exhaust system.
9.    Restored the brake system: Master Cylinder rebuilt, all new brake shoes, brake springs, rubber and metal brake lines, wheel
       cylinders.
10.  Replaced grease seals in the front wheels.
11.  Replaced rear axle bearings and rear seals.
12.  Repaired front end center drag link and Idler Arm.
13.  Replaced king pin set in both steering knuckles.
14.  Replaced upper and lower outer pivot pins.
15.  Replaced bearings and gaskets in Steering Gear box.
16.  Gas tank restored. Also replaced Fuel float/sending unit.
17.  Installed complete new wiring harness from Harnesses Unlimited.
18.  Installed 6 volt battery cutoff switch. 
19.  Replaced one of the horns.
20.  Had the dash and the metal strip across the back of the front seat wood grained by Wood Grain by Estes. Came out very
      nice.
21. Clock, speedometer and gauge cluster repaired by Bob's Speedometer
22. All 3 Cigar lighters now functional.
23. Radio upgraded with new components by Joe's Classic Car Radio. Radio retains original look. Works in AM and FM.
24. Purchased, restored and installed a Ventilating Defrosting Heater with new 6 volt blower motor and new heater core.
25. Replaced wiper motor and both wiper transmissions. Wipers work as original from the fuel pump vacuum.
26. Hood hinge was rebuilt by SMS Auto. Also purchased a good set of used hood springs.
27. Re-chromed all exterior door handles.
28. Installed numerous rubber parts from Steel Rubber to replace gaskets, grommets, bumpers and windshield seals.

Folks/businesses providing parts and services:

Marty Watkins
Brad Ipsen
Bob Hoffman
Steve Cooley Motors
Woodgrain by Estes (Joe Goss)
Bob's Speedometer
Joe's Classic Car Radio
Daytona Parts
Wiperman.com (Rob)
Terrill Machine
Harnesses Unlimited
Roppell Radiator (Louisville, KY)
H&H Coating (Louisville, KY)
Tony's Brake and Alignment (Louisville, KY)

Thanks to the many folks on this forum for your continued advice and support. Your knowledge is certainly a huge help to me and greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828