News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 DeVille rear differential overhaul

Started by chbaxter1, February 14, 2024, 06:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chbaxter1

The differential gears and bearing are in good condition, but the unit is leaking oil. What needs to be replaced.

Poncholover

The oil!
 ;D

Actually, there are only 3 places: The pinion seal, the gasket & the axle vent. The pinion seal replacement is rather technique sensitive as it affects bearing & gear life so a pro should be consulted.
Also, should the vent be plugged, it can leak front the gaskets & seals as a result.
Flattie Caddy

Chopper1942

If it is wet at the front of the diff where the driveshaft attaches, you have a pinion seal leaking. A DIYer can replace it with a little patience and the proper tools. You need an inch pound torque wrench and the tools to remove the pinion flange nut, pinion flange, and pinion seal.

Today many techs want to short cut and rip out the seal and slap in a new one and not do it correctly.

If this is not done properly, you can have a noisy diff or ruin the pinion bearings.

In the past, I have posted the procedure necessary to remove and install a pionion seal. Check past posts for the info.

If you don't have the tools, don't attempt it. I would find a good repair shop, print off the procedure, take it to them, and ask that they follow the procedure. Measuring the pinion turning torque before disassembly and during tightening the pinion nut is critical. Removing the rear wheels and drums/rotors must be done to get the correct pinion turning torque reading. Don't use an impact to remove or install the pinion nut.

Dave CLC#16900

Wheel bearings should be replaced if you are taking it apart in my opinion too.  They can leak as well, normally seen coming from the back of the backing plate.

When I first put my '56 Seville back on the road after a 9 year outside nap in Chandler Arizona, I put about 10 miles on it before the RH rear wheel bearing walked out of housing during a low speed turn....  It had dried up.
Dave CLC#16900

1956 C 6237SDX ELS
1975 C 6CD47 CDV

dadscad

I agree with Dave, replacing the wheel bearings is good insurance. Years ago,  I had issues with new National brand bearings with defective seals causing oil leaks. I bought SKF bearings to replace the new installed National brand and the SKF solved the problem.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille