News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cowl vent painted or not

Started by dbzsjones, March 30, 2024, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbzsjones

Working on a 1961 series 62 convertible, and I purchased a used cowl piece (part between hood and windshield where the wipers come through).  I thought it was supposed to be all chrome.  However, I'm looking at pictures on the internet and it looks like most of them are painted body color around the outside edges and just the vent section is chrome.  Can somebody please confirm? 

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

It is almost upsetting to pay to have all that chrome restored and then paint most of it.

I talked to my painter and they do not like painting over chrome. Does not stick well. I know that the old paint bleeds of easy depending on cleaning chemicals.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

D. Mailan

Yes they are originally painted.

Like Carl said, it is incredibly agitating to have such a large piece chromed (for a hefty price), then go after and paint over a large portion of it. You have to sand the chrome down enough, almost to bare metal, then put a couple coats of primer, then apply the paint for the best result. Like Carl said, painting directly onto the chrome will not yield the best results, and most likely lead to it chipping or peeling of in a couple of years.

But, leaving it all chrome does give the car a different look. Kind of like leaving window switches on 57-60 unpainted, or keeping the speedo bezel on a 56 or a 59/60 all chrome rather than going back and painting the areas that were originally black. Its totally your choice. 
Derick

dbzsjones

The previous owner got a little zealous "cleaning" the part and scrubbed right through the chrome in a couple spots.  I looked at re-chroming and they want $500-600 because it's pot metal.  So I'm quite happy with the paint it answer, but my paint shop may not be.

Clewisiii

I just dropped off a batch of interior pot metal this morning. $5200. I have two more batches of pot metal that will add another $10,000

dbzsjones

OUCH!  I was told by one of the chrome shops it tends to bubble so it takes a ton of extra prep to make sure it comes out well.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The one on my '60 CDV was chromed, with paint in the grooves and the ends.   Looked classy.

A razor blade cleaned up the excess paint on the tops of each longitudinal piece of the vents.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

D. Mailan

Recently, I had a batch of Cadillac parts re-chromed and some stainless polished, most of them small items like door panel pieces, steering column covers and some interior trim. Around 14 parts. Largest parts were the a pillar covers and the steering column cover. The price was astronomical. The chrome guy asked $1,400.

Later I had two 1957 fleetwood reverse light buckets rechromed. They were also pricey since they are made of pot metal. The guy had to chrome, repair, and chrome again three or four times. It took four or five weeks to get them back. They didn't turn out perfect but much better. Since pot metal is made up of many metals melted together, it's not the greatest to repair.

Derick