News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1991 Seville Self Leveler

Started by wheikkila, March 30, 2024, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheikkila

Good Evening
I'm working on a 1991 Seville with 69200 miles on it. For a club member. The first problem was no brake pedal. I disconnected the battery. Jacked up the car. Repaired the brakes and let the car back on the ground. Hooked up the battery and the brakes work great. But now the leveler runs all the time. Before I started. The front fender and rear quarters were at the top of the tires. Now they are about 2 inch above. I drove the car about 20 miles or so. After 3 hours the system was still running. So I disconnected the battery again. I do not have a Manuel on this car. Were should I start?
                Thanks Wayne     

TJ Hopland

Do you know if this is one of the fancy computer command systems or just the basic air compressor level ride?  If its the basic one look for a linkage connected to a control arm in the rear.  Could have damaged it it had it come apart when you had it in the air.   IF its the computer system I think the sensors were part of the strut assembly and I don't remember much in the manuals about troubleshooting those and I don't think there was any aftermarket support for them other than Strutmasters conversion kits.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wheikkila

Good Morning
 IT must have the basic. It has linkage connected to a control arm in the rear. It is fine and it moves up and down with the control arm.
    Thanks Wayne

TJ Hopland

IF you disconnect the linkage and move the arm does anything change?   There is a time delay so you do have to wait at least several seconds between movements for it to command something to happen.

I assume what you are hearing is the compressor running?  If so is the back of the car way up in the air or are there issues there too?

Is the compressor under the hood or by the back wheel?   If its by the back wheel the air inlet filters tend to get plugged up with road crap. 

The height sensing module has always been the weak link in these systems till they moved the compressor at which point the compressor being exposed to road grime usually killed the compressor before the module would fail.  The heignt sensor and electronics for the time delay and to command the compressor to run or vent were all contained in the sensor unit.  They were potted which is where they cover the circuit board with an epoxy like material that is supposed to seal it but that also makes it much more difficult to impossible to service.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wheikkila

Since I raised the car and let it down. It now sits about 2" higher. When I started the front fender and quarter were at the top of the tires. now they sit 2" higher. The car also sat for a while due to the brake issues. I read this morning that if I disconnect both leads from the battery and touch them together it should do a reboot on the system. Has anyone tried this? I'm going to try it tomorrow.
       Thanks Wayne

wheikkila

Update I went out and disconnected the negative cable. I had already disconnected the positive cable. I touched the the two together for 45 seconds. Connected them and started the car. I then drove it for about 5 miles and shut it off. The rear had dropped down and the system would come on and go off in 10 or 15 seconds. Just like it should. One problem corrected. Now I just need to find out why the antenna won't shut off. But that is for a different discussion.
               Thanks Wayne