News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Engine pull

Started by 60eldo, March 31, 2024, 05:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Can someone tell me the best place to secure chains on my 60 to remove it. Should I use one chain or 2, Im using a engine hoist, I was thinking of removing the valve covers and using head bolts. My engine blew the other day, its time      https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/big-red-foldable-hydraulic-shop-crane-w-6-caster-wheels-1-ton-0090260p.0090260.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl7KUldiehQMVKk5HAR0KIAIjEAQYASABEgJtu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=187                     
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

When I removed my engine I used head bolts.  At the time I had to pull the engine with the trans. I could not rotate the engine to unbolt the flex plate.
IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0690.jpg

In replacing the engine I used a plate on the top of the intake. But this was just engine not trans.

IMG_20230624_151709589.jpgIMG_20230624_154311654.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

60eldo

Your the best Chewi  yes Im pulling the engine only, not with trans, oh oh, maybe I shouldnt use that word LOL
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

Be sure to take into account the height that will be required to get fully out of the car.  Think about the angle the boom will be at when its at the max height and make sure thats not going to hit the engine somewhere and prevent you from getting the height you require.  Don't just go nuts with a long chain on the hook because you may run out of ceiling height unless you are working outside.

Also think about how you are supporting the transmission.  If the car is sitting on the suspension its going to go up as you remove the engine so you can't support it from the ground.  If you first jack up and support the whole car so its not on the springs you can then support the transmission from the ground but that's going to raise the car so you are going to need to lift the engine higher to clear the car which is what I was getting at in the first paragraph.  If you can support the transmission from the car that is ideal because you can move the car during and after the process. I have had to let the air out of the tires to lower the car because for various reasons I could not go higher with the hoist.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Great point, I was thinking of not taking the hood off. The car is up on ramps in the garage, hope to have enough hieght. I was thinking to get a sissor jack with a block of wood under the trany and raise the trans  , then undo the the engine from the trany, so the trany wounldnt drop
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

I don't know the 60 layout but if you can't go out the front you better do a mock up test run to make sure you can actually do it.  Cut out carboard the size of the engine and hook it to the hoist.   

I would be looking for a way to support the trans off the car's frame so you don't have to worry about it as the weight changes and if you need to move for some reason.

This has been my go to tool for that.  Not sure what the 60 layout is but I would think you could find a way to make it work.  Its made to sit on the lip of the hood and the hooks support the engine while the trans is out but I flip things around so the feet are on the pan rail and the hooks are grabbing the frame.  Its also a bonus that its adjustable if you set it up right if you need things to move slightly for the re install. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/lifts-cranes-stands/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

The 1959 shop manual and 60 supplement covers all of this.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS