News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'67 CDV Radiator Fluid Issue

Started by Snibbor, April 03, 2024, 10:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbor

Have an all new Alum radiator as of 2 years ago. But recently when I idle in park the gauge goes up but then drops (to about a quarter from left..back to normal..) when driving. I can smell the Radiator fluid at all times though. And it seems to be losing fluid....I am including a video of my starting the car with the rad cap off.....Thanx in advanced with suggestions!

"C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\IMG_1788.MOV"

dn010

The link you posted won't work. However, my suggestion is to put a pressure tester on it, pump it up and see what you've got after 10 minutes.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

TJ Hopland

Are you constantly topping off the system?  I assume this doesn't have a 'overflow' bottle?  If it doesn't have one the radiator can't be full to the top.  They will usually find the level they want to be at and then stay there.   

The original radiators were designed to operate with air space at the top.  I have seen 'new' designs that just don't seem to like running with that air space and on those all you can do is add a bottle. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Snibbor

Here is the video again.

Cadillac Jack 82

My Cadillacs and Oldsmobile typically like to keep roughly an inch from the very top of the radiator.  They all keep around the first mark on the temp gauge.  If its puking up either 1. Theres too much coolant or 2. timing or carb adjustment have the car running to hot at times causing it to puke.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

The Tassie Devil(le)

You definitely need a overflow bottle, or a recovery system of some sort, or simply run the level like a pre-pollution car.

The cross-flow radiator in my Ranchero runs the level at about 4" below the top when cold.

But, the main problem with Aluminium radiators is that they need to be larger than the original Copper/Brass ones.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Snibbor

The Tassie Devil(le)

Forgot to mention that when using a recovery bottle, you need the correct radiator cap that allows the coolant to travel back into the radiator.

Just using a total loss system, you only need the basic pressure cap.   This way, when the excess coolant is expelled, the cap allows air back into the radiator as the coolant cools down and contracts, it doesn't seal and stop the air returning which will collapse the radiator material and hoses.

Where a lot of people come to grief when building their own systems is using a pressure container as the recovery tank.   They forget that the last one has to be vented to the air.   This is where auto dismantlers come in handy as they are a good source for used tanks of different sizes and types.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

QuoteWhere a lot of people come to grief when building their own systems is using a pressure container as the recovery tank.   They forget that the last one has to be vented to the air.   This is where auto dismantlers come in handy as they are a good source for used tanks of different sizes and types.

NAPA has a very good universal overflow tank that I installed on a 1959 Deville.  It is part number 730-4514.

Daryl Chesterman