News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on March 02, 2018, 03:43:55 PM
I know exactly what you're referring to.  You can buy caps for vacuum ports to block them off . . . think of them as little condoms for the ports.

PMSL!
\m/
Laurie!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Caddy condoms installed today, thanks Dan! What a HUGE difference visually, just epic.

SOON my new friends, very soon The Ark heads to Hyannis Vintage, I was there today.
There's a Ford Bronco ahead of me in its final stages. Mike says we'll be able to make
our first drive-in at Gillette on April 12th! So excited! YEA!!!!

And I got a scratch behind the ears for all the engine work I've done here, that was nice.
None of which I could have successfully done with out all of YOU, so "thank you" again!

They'll be doing the engine work I couldn't do first, they'll get that clamp off the bottom heater core
outlet so I can do my thing again with a fresh piece of 45 degree hose and a connector. Past that, if
I try to "help" the price on labor goes up, LOL! But I'm free to watch and ask lots of questions when
they're working on it. I have no doubt I'll be pissing off plenty of clients adjusting my work schedule so
I can be there at the shop when they're working on my baby.... priorities.

\m/
Laurie!  :)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Great, another nor'easter inbound for Tuesday, freezing temps and the rad is full of water after the flush. Mike said to "add some coolant or gycol and run it for a bit". How much is 'some'? He's gone to bed. Reached out to Mark Demyan on Facebook, he said to dump a gallon of water, add a gallon of Prestone and bring it up to temp to mix it all up well. I'll do it tomorrow when I get home from work, then cover the car back up, ugh.

But I got the hubcaps done today!

Only took 2+ hours per hubcap but thrilled with how they came out. Mucho chrome work awaits me on the car, its all good. For several hours all I had to think about was The Ark. And that's the whole idea. Car therapy. Something completely NEW, out of the ordinary and has nothing to do with my current life. I feel like I've been on vacation. Must have used a lot of that elbow and shoulder grease I hear so much about since all are aching now. First washed thoroughly with warm water, soap and a scotch brite sponge. Then a soapy brush were needed. I was a little more aggressive in the back, using an SOS pad to get the rust from the wheels off the back of the hubcaps. Rinse, towel dry and polish with "Blue Magic", the product recommended by Michael Amster from Hyannis Vintage. They look brand new, simply thrilled. Before and after pics attached. Unfortunately the faint remnants of the black trim around the outer hubcap came off with the polishing, just as well, they look neater and cleaner. There is still some evidence of black paint around the crest area, proving the hubcaps are indeed 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood. Keeping the hubcaps off, they're wrapped in a soft blanket. Rear fender skirts popped right off, I'll let Mike put them back on when the new tires are mounted, balanced, an alignment check performed and the hubcaps are put back on. Just a fun day in Caddy heaven.

\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

;D  Nice!  Look for a package from me with some '73 hubcaps I've been meaning to clean up --- give you some more "vacation" time!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on March 11, 2018, 09:31:08 PM
;D  Nice!  Look for a package from me with some '73 hubcaps I've been meaning to clean up --- give you some more "vacation" time!

LOL! "vacation", HA! I need MORE work, this hobby is 'spensive!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Looks like I'll be adding the emergency brake cable/system to the list of things to fix when its in the shop.
Like my friend Charlie says "old cars will break just being parked".
Only put tarps on the roof to protect what's left of it from the alleged 14" of snow coming.
\m/
Laurie (ready for ANOTHER nor'easter)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would not be using those tarps as down here, we call them "the Blue Tarps of Death".

Many a vehicle, or boat has suffered problems using those, as they might be good for a day, but not for long periods.

The material breaks down very quickly.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 13, 2018, 02:42:46 AM
I would not be using those tarps as down here, we call them "the Blue Tarps of Death".

Many a vehicle, or boat has suffered problems using those, as they might be good for a day, but not for long periods.

The material breaks down very quickly.

Bruce. >:D

They'll come off as soon as the snow stops!
\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Bentley

Laurie,

The hubcaps look great. I need to polish mine. What is the best way to put them back on without dinging them? Foam rubber and a rubber mallet?
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Highwayman68

These hubcaps are SOOO much fun to put on.

Try to get as much of the tabs onto the rim as possible then with a rubber mallet start working in from the last tab on both sides making contact alternating back and forth until you get close to getting the final tab in. Most important is to keep your foot on the part that is already on the rim and holding tight against the rim while pressing the other tabs in, otherwise you will be starting over and over every time.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bentley on March 14, 2018, 06:29:04 PM
Laurie,

The hubcaps look great. I need to polish mine. What is the best way to put them back on without dinging them? Foam rubber and a rubber mallet?

Thanks Wes! I sure worked hard on them.
See Mark's post below for putting them back on.
And make sure all the tab thingies are straight, and the hubcap is tight, otherwise they can slip
and try to cut off your stem... ask me how I know.

\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

DeVille68

I massaged the tabs on my hubcaps with some needle nose pliers such that they do not hold so ridiculously to the rim. Now I can put them on with my fist only.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: DeVille68 on March 16, 2018, 02:26:41 PM
I massaged the tabs on my hubcaps with some needle nose pliers such that they do not hold so ridiculously to the rim. Now I can put them on with my fist only.

Best regards,
Nicolas

As long as they stay on and don't shift and guillotine the valve stem - \m/!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Don't think Laurie wants to be pounding her wheel covers on with her fist or heel of her hand.  My front end guy told me the story of a fellow mechanic that broke his wrist doing that.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on March 19, 2018, 12:01:16 PM
Don't think Laurie wants to be pounding her wheel covers on with her fist or heel of her hand.  My front end guy told me the story of a fellow mechanic that broke his wrist doing that.

..yikes...
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

I use a rubber mallet to gently tap them, evenly, into place. Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Ordered in December from Battery Central Mall... UPS says it will be here Tuesday. Praise God. Now if the car would just be called to the shop in time for our first show which is looking really doubtful now.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

Goals are great to have but don't let show dates ruin the fun, there are others and you will make next years if not this years of the ones you miss.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on March 26, 2018, 09:58:33 AM
Goals are great to have but don't let show dates ruin the fun, there are others and you will make next years if not this years of the ones you miss.

Worse news and good news Mark, I was at HVA today with an 'updated' list of engine work I want done.
"Dad", Gary Amster, told me almost protectively (which I took as a compliment) that HE would be doing all the
work on the car and chances are nill I'll make either April show at this point. "Larz Anderson?".. maybe ..   :(

Though disappointed I need to be grateful a guy who's spent +50 years re-creating history for the beautiful people is taking my car personally. How's that for a momentary illusion of maturity on my part?

I'll start working on the chrome as soon as the weather breaks and time allows.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Most normal women lose their minds with a new pair of shoes or a new dress. Yours truly? Over-the-moon with the arrival today of the 'period correct' AC Delco battery for The Ark that was ordered in December. Incredibly well packaged for transport, these people have done this before. Yes, that warning label says add no water, its a mntx free battery. Flash back to the military: loading Tomahawks into the USS Sullivans at Bath Iron Works. Missiles come complete from the factory in firing boxes, just lift off the truck with a crane, drop into the silo on the ship, plug in, ready to go. Note the sign on top of the firing box *THIS END UP*. Good times...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville